Problem emailing photos

Old May 14th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Problem emailing photos

New digital camera, first one. When I email pictures as attachments,
the recipients receive a thumbnail in the email but when they try to
view them or save them to the computer, they get a message that says
"failed to load photo" on a blank black screen.

I've tried using photoshop album starter edition (i think) and the
software that came with the camera, canon zoombrowser and have reduced
the sizes of the pictures but with no luck.

I tried also to figure out how to have the photos appear right in the
email and can't figure that out either.

Can anyone get me going in the right direction?

Thanks.

Old May 14th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"al" wrote in message
ups.com...
New digital camera, first one. When I email pictures as attachments,
the recipients receive a thumbnail in the email but when they try to
view them or save them to the computer, they get a message that says
"failed to load photo" on a blank black screen.

I've tried using photoshop album starter edition (i think) and the
software that came with the camera, canon zoombrowser and have reduced
the sizes of the pictures but with no luck.

I tried also to figure out how to have the photos appear right in the
email and can't figure that out either.

Can anyone get me going in the right direction?

Thanks.

This is just one man's opinion and as such will have variable value, perhaps
none at all.

I have given up on the software that came with both of my digital cameras.
You don't actually need it. When you attach the camera to the PC, the
computer thinks its looking at removable hard drive. You can use all the
normal methods of moving files around.

To send an image, RIGHT CLICK on your selection and select SEND TOMail
Recipient, at which point you will be prompted to either make the picture
smaller or keep the original size. I assume that you are using Windows XP. I
don't like using any of the Wizards that Windows insists on popping up at
the slightest pretext. Maybe I am old fashioned. I can still work in DOS. I
remember when Windows was introduced and it sucked.

Other methods work too. In Outlook Express, you can attach a file, or you
can insert an image. I will stop now.

For photoediting, I use the Adobe product.

Old May 15th 06, 02:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 14 May 2006 15:39:43 -0700, "al" wrote:

I've tried using photoshop album starter edition (i think) and the
software that came with the camera, canon zoombrowser and have reduced
the sizes of the pictures but with no luck.

Your best bet is to use the free IrfanView.com. Simple, plus everybody else
can then help you.

If you want to crop losslessly, then use jpegcrop. (You can rotate
losslessly in IrfanView.)

To get your pictures into your PC, go out and buy the cheapest card reader
you can find.

I tried also to figure out how to have the photos appear right in the
email and can't figure that out either.

I prefer that they don't appear in the e-mail. And if using Outlook Express
it defaults to sticking it there. And if too big other e-mail software
chops them up and makes them unusable.

Don www.donwiss.com/pictures/ (e-mail link at page bottoms).
Old May 15th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

al wrote:

New digital camera, first one. When I email pictures as attachments,
the recipients receive a thumbnail in the email but when they try to
view them or save them to the computer, they get a message that says
"failed to load photo" on a blank black screen.

I've tried using photoshop album starter edition (i think) and the
software that came with the camera, canon zoombrowser and have reduced
the sizes of the pictures but with no luck.

I tried also to figure out how to have the photos appear right in the
email and can't figure that out either.

Can anyone get me going in the right direction?

Thanks.

I guess the first question has to be what format are the photographs
in? I don't use either of the pieces of software you use, but am
wondering if what is happening is you're sending a kind of page of an
album, with thumbnails but no actual images, which would explain why
when they click the thumbnail they get no picture.

--
Paul (I met another man who was wounded in hatred)
Stop and Look
Old May 15th 06, 04:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Thanks for the comments. I'm using XP and the file type when reduced
is JPEG I guess. Also tried right clicking on the image in "my
pictures", then email, but got the same results just trying to send an
individual picture, no slide shows or anything. Must have tried it 10
or more times carefully following instructions (I think) in each
program.

I'll give the programs mentioned above a shot tomorrow and see what
happens.

Thanks again.

Old May 15th 06, 09:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

al wrote:

Thanks for the comments. I'm using XP and the file type when reduced
is JPEG I guess. Also tried right clicking on the image in "my
pictures", then email, but got the same results just trying to send an
individual picture, no slide shows or anything. Must have tried it 10
or more times carefully following instructions (I think) in each
program.

I'll give the programs mentioned above a shot tomorrow and see what
happens.

Thanks again.

I the program I use for email I have a small icon on the toolbar for
attaching objects. All I do is click that, browse for the image and
send as attachment to email. Points about image size etc are very
relevant though. Some people don't seem to be able to receive images
etc over a certain data size.
Old May 15th 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I have had problems sending photos, mainly because they were too large.
I assume you are sending jpegs. It is best to keep the size below 300K,
different ISPs have different rules that often can be burried in their
directions. Also there are different computers set ups, does the
recipient have a viewing program? How is the recipient set up to
receive the photos, dial up connections can be frustratingly slow to
receive pictures or will time them out all together. When in doubt sent
a CD.

Tom

Old May 16th 06, 12:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"al" wrote in message
ups.com...
New digital camera, first one. When I email pictures as attachments,
the recipients receive a thumbnail in the email but when they try to
view them or save them to the computer, they get a message that says
"failed to load photo" on a blank black screen.

I've tried using photoshop album starter edition (i think) and the
software that came with the camera, canon zoombrowser and have reduced
the sizes of the pictures but with no luck.

I tried also to figure out how to have the photos appear right in the
email and can't figure that out either.

Can anyone get me going in the right direction?

Thanks.

You might want to try Picasa2 from google

http://picasa.google.com/

Since using I have e.mailed many photos because its so easy.

Keith.

Old May 16th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

keith wrote:

"al" wrote in message
ups.com...
New digital camera, first one. When I email pictures as attachments,
the recipients receive a thumbnail in the email but when they try to
view them or save them to the computer, they get a message that says
"failed to load photo" on a blank black screen.

I've tried using photoshop album starter edition (i think) and the
software that came with the camera, canon zoombrowser and have reduced
the sizes of the pictures but with no luck.

I tried also to figure out how to have the photos appear right in the
email and can't figure that out either.

Can anyone get me going in the right direction?

Thanks.

You might want to try Picasa2 from google

Since using I have e.mailed many photos because its so easy.

Keith.

How much do they pay you Keith?

Old May 16th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 14 May 2006 15:39:43 -0700, "al" wrote:

New digital camera, first one. When I email pictures as attachments,
the recipients receive a thumbnail in the email but when they try to
view them or save them to the computer, they get a message that says
"failed to load photo" on a blank black screen.

You didn't say what you are using for a mail program. Most mail
programs will handle photos easily. OTOH they leave it up to the
sender to set the size before sending. Many ISPs limit the size of
attachments or total size for the message.

I've tried using photoshop album starter edition (i think) and the
software that came with the camera, canon zoombrowser and have reduced
the sizes of the pictures but with no luck.

There is size reduction and then there is size reduction.
When you say reduced the size I assume you mean the number of pixels
for length and width and are not talking about inches or mm.

I tried also to figure out how to have the photos appear right in the
email and can't figure that out either.

Again it depends on what you are using for a mail program.
Although my mail readers are set for text only for safety. In HTML
they will allow the photos to be inserted right into the message.
You do have to have HTML turned on to view them in the e-mail, but not
to open an attachment.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com.