$500 REWARD FOR IDENTITY OF TROLL

Old March 3rd 05, 02:51 AM
Mxsmanic

Brian {Hamilton Kelly} writes:

Why should a "legitimate" user have any need to go via an open proxy?

He may have a need for anonymity.

There is no reason not to go directly to the posting site; using a proxy
is either a vector for mischief, or someone attempting to circumvent his
employer's strictures against use of facilities not approved by policy.

Or someone trying to get out the truth about his government's practices
without being executed for doing so.

Old March 3rd 05, 02:52 AM
Mxsmanic

Lionel writes:

They would still be able to use all the anonymous gateways.

An open proxy is an anonymous gateway.

Old March 3rd 05, 02:53 AM
Mxsmanic

Brian {Hamilton Kelly} writes:

News Service Providers in the real world have to be very confident that a
reported defamation is baseless; that's why they employ Crack Legal
Teams.

Someone operating a newsgroup server is not a news provider.

Old March 3rd 05, 05:00 AM
Lionel

Kibo informs me that Mxsmanic stated that:

Lionel writes:

They would still be able to use all the anonymous gateways.

An open proxy is an anonymous gateway.

No, it's not. I recommend that you spend some studying up on both terms.

Old March 3rd 05, 05:59 AM
Mxsmanic

Lionel writes:

No, it's not. I recommend that you spend some studying up on both terms.

Anonymous = cannot be identified. Open proxies allow people to avoid
identification. Gateway = passage from one place to another. Therefore
an open proxy is an anonymous gateway.

Old March 3rd 05, 10:06 AM
Lionel

Lionel writes:

No, it's not. I recommend that you spend some studying up on both terms.

Anonymous = cannot be identified.

Correct - unless the user accidentally includes evidence of their
identity, or the operator of the anonymous gateway is dishonest or
incompetant.

Open proxies allow people to avoid
identification.

Incorrect, & very naive. The open proxy /may/ anonymise transactions,
but it is by no means certain, or even very common. Many open proxies
pass on user data to the destination system, such as browser version, IP
address, & even the identity configured into the users browser.
Additionally, even proxies that appear, to all external tests, to be
totally anonymising, may be logging any or all of the above data, or
even recording the text of each transaction for investigative purposes.
For example; Squid, which is the standard proxy service on RedHat
systems, & very popular on many other platforms, logs all transactions
by URL, time, IP address, & transaction type automatically. Once you've
got the logs, it's easy to track down an 'anonymous' person who's been
abusing the proxy.

Gateway = passage from one place to another. Therefore
an open proxy is an anonymous gateway.

No, it's not.

Old March 3rd 05, 11:25 AM
Big Bill

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 11:47:25 +1100, Lionel wrote:

Kibo informs me that Big Bill stated that:

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 23:06:46 +1100, Lionel wrote:
Blocking open proxies wouldn't impact Googles legitimate users in the
slightest, unless they were one of the idiots who owned one of the
poorly secured proxies, in which case lack of Usenet posting access via
Google would be the least of their problems.

That blocked ISP has no legitimate users?

We're talking about single machines, not entire ISPs.

I was under the impression that we were discussing Google blocking an
ISP that was being used as an open proxie.
No?

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"