NIKON USA--TERRIBLE SERVICE EXPERIENCE.

Old December 10th 04, 07:08 PM
ThomasH

Bill Hilton wrote:

From: ThomasH

I just discovered a drastic fading problem (ca 12 months)
with their (Canon) top of the line A3 photo printers. I am now
fighting to force them to take seriously fading problem in their
printers.

Thomas, which paper were you using? The Canon prints are supposed to last up
to 30 years or so if kept behind glass BUT only for *one* paper type (the
expensive one), the other papers do indeed fade much more quickly. This is
well-known (ie, Wilhelm Research).

Bill

The paper in question is the Glossy Photo paper Plus, and no
glas. I know that Canon says it so now, they have sned me the
'exact condition' under which the warranty of 30 years is
granted. They say that only the Photo Paper Plus has 4 layers
and provides such protection.

BUT: They do not say that the barely cheaper Photo Paper Plus
might hold for one year only, and I will that they print this
in bold on their product. Besides: why to get glossy paper and
cover the gloss by glass?

A paradox is that several other images printed on the Matte
paper, or even on the thin and cheap High Resolution paper
(matte has much better shadow gradation!), are supposedly
completely unprotected lacking the glossy layer, and yet they
look just barely different! Something is wrong with their
Photo Paper Plus.

http://www.pbase.com/phototalk_thh/2...2_s9000_fading

I printed this image now on Photo Paper Pro and I have put it
on the same place with the same magnetic frame, no glass. We
will see one year later!

Anyway, my next printer will use pigment inks. Thus, this
will be an Epson or a HP.

Thomas
Old December 10th 04, 07:10 PM
ThomasH

So you are speaking here about Olympus UK, not about Nikon, right?

Tom Hudson wrote:

Aguilabrava wrote:
I just wanted to let everybody here know about my recent experience
with the Service Dept. at Nikon USA in Melville, New York.

A couple of years ago I sent a camera under warranty for repair. They
had it returned to the wrong part of the country, to a shop that was
demolished years before and had a shopping centre built over it, it was
returned to them undelivered - undeterred, they re-sent it to the
demolished shop, where someone signed for it. They actually blamed it on
the courier, who were just trying to deliver to the address they were
given. There was more, and I didn't have a working camera for some 3.5
months, getting compensation to the value of 5 pounds or so in the end,
which I refused and sent back. They wouldn't answer my calls, voice
mails, messages etc. after that, I even got a receptionist to walk down
the hall to personally see the guy I'd been dealing with. Nothing.
Useless. Oh, and the complaints department is either part of or is the
tech support department (olympus uk), so they have no interest in
complaints about themselves/the people they eat lunch with.
And the kicker is that the replacement camera had the same fault, which
it turns out was a design flaw and they couldn't find the problem, I
worked it out for myself in the end.

Tom

Old December 10th 04, 08:00 PM
Tom Hudson

Tom Hudson wrote:

tech support department (olympus uk), so they have no interest in

Er, yes, though now you mention it I only mention it in passing and even
then near the end of the blah. Damn, that's annoying. Oops.

If it makes things any clearer, Olympus UK sucks when it comes to
after-sales support.

Tom
Old December 10th 04, 10:44 PM
Paul Bielec

Tom Hudson wrote:

tech support department (olympus uk), so they have no interest in

Er, yes, though now you mention it I only mention it in passing and even
then near the end of the blah. Damn, that's annoying. Oops.

If it makes things any clearer, Olympus UK sucks when it comes to
after-sales support.

Tom

The truth is just there "after-sales". You paid, they don't care anymore.
Why would they anyway? It costs less to loose one or few customers that to
provide efficient support.
Especially for the under warranty repairs.
Once the warranty expires, they don't want to repair your camera. They want
you to throw it away and buy a new one...

Old December 10th 04, 10:51 PM
Paul Bielec

Any big corporation that says that the customer satisfaction counts, lies.
It is like a politician saying that he cares...yeah right...
All that matters to them are the figures they'll be able to show at the next
shareholder meeting.
How to manufacture the product as cheaply as possible, using the cheapest
resources available and still convince the customer that he buys the best
there is.
So the camera that was once made using metal parts in Japan, is now made out
of plastic in China. And when it brakes, you'll be able to reach the
customer support in India to help you out...

Old December 10th 04, 11:07 PM
MarkČ

"Paul Bielec" wrote in message
Any big corporation that says that the customer satisfaction counts, lies.
It is like a politician saying that he cares...yeah right...
All that matters to them are the figures they'll be able to show at the

next
shareholder meeting.
How to manufacture the product as cheaply as possible, using the cheapest
resources available and still convince the customer that he buys the best
there is.
So the camera that was once made using metal parts in Japan, is now made

out
of plastic in China. And when it brakes, you'll be able to reach the
customer support in India to help you out...

You sound like a Sigma owner.

Old December 10th 04, 11:18 PM
Paul Bielec

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message

"Paul Bielec" wrote in message
Any big corporation that says that the customer satisfaction counts,

lies.
It is like a politician saying that he cares...yeah right...
All that matters to them are the figures they'll be able to show at the

next
shareholder meeting.
How to manufacture the product as cheaply as possible, using the

cheapest
resources available and still convince the customer that he buys the

best
there is.
So the camera that was once made using metal parts in Japan, is now made

out
of plastic in China. And when it brakes, you'll be able to reach the
customer support in India to help you out...

You sound like a Sigma owner.

No, all Canon as far as cameras go.
And there is a Canon service center few blocks away, so no need to e-mail
anything if it brakes.
Used it only once so far for my point and shoot pocket camera. It was under
warranty and everything went smoothly.

It was more of a general statement.
Brands don't mean much anymore. That you buy a Sony, a JVC, a Panasonic or
Sanyo doesn't change anything.
There is probably one of them that own another, or a part of it. They share
components and are all made in China and surroundings.
They'll have better finishing and better feeling that the no name product
you'll find at Wal-Mart, but that's about it.
And we cannot blame the companies neither. We had the choice of no buying
the cheaper products at the beginning.
Now it's clear that there is more money to be made with the quantity rather
than the quality.