Olympus IS-50 QD SLR Vs Minolta Maxxum 50 SLR

Old October 29th 04, 03:00 PM
Yenky

Default Olympus IS-50 QD SLR Vs Minolta Maxxum 50 SLR

Hi,

I am a beginner in photography and am wanting to buy an SLR camera.
The follwoing two cameras fit my budget Olympus IS-50 QD SLR & Minolta
Maxxum 50 SLR. Any ideas, which one to choose, are welcome. The Sigma
SA7 is also close to my budget but I had read some -ve reviews about
it. BTW I am able to spend ~170$ for body + lens.

Tnx in advance.
Vinay
Old October 29th 04, 04:23 PM
me

"Yenky" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I am a beginner in photography and am wanting to buy an SLR camera.
The follwoing two cameras fit my budget Olympus IS-50 QD SLR & Minolta
Maxxum 50 SLR. Any ideas, which one to choose, are welcome. The Sigma
SA7 is also close to my budget but I had read some -ve reviews about
it. BTW I am able to spend ~170$ for body + lens.

Tnx in advance.
Vinay

Let me be the first to commend you on your decision to buy a film camera!
Your ability to cut through the hype surrounding digital and get right to
the very best part of photography practically guarantees (IMHO) that your
photographic experience will be most rewarding.

Unfortunately I have no personal knowledge of the cameras you mentioned. :-(

*VERY IMPORTANT NOTE* The Olympus has (I believe) a fixed lens. This will
severely limit your ability to upgrade your capabilities in the future and
IMO negate one of the most useful and significant aspects of SLR technology.

As an alternative to your choices may I humbly recommend my favorite
manufacturer, Pentax. The ZX-M is a manual focus camera capable of fully
manual operation which would provide you the opportunity to learn all of the
most important aspects of photography IMHO.

ZX-M at B&H:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=161594&is=REG
ZX-M st Adorama:
http://www.adorama.com/PXZXMK50.html...zx-m&item_no=2
The body is also available without a lens providing you the freedom to make
that choice yourself
Body only at B&H:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=145120&is=REG
Body only at Adorana:
http://www.adorama.com/PXZXM.html?si...zx-m&item_no=1

Please note that this is a *very* popular item as evidenced by the fact that
it sells out regurally IMHO.

May I also suggest that in addition to new cameras there are many fine used
film cameras that can easily meet your needs and last a lifetime (or several
for that matter). Of course I understand perfectly if you would prefer a new
camera.

Good luck and congratulations on your thoughtful insight and discerning
taste!
me

Old October 29th 04, 04:48 PM
Siddhartha Jain

Yenky wrote:
I am a beginner in photography and am wanting to buy an SLR camera.
The follwoing two cameras fit my budget Olympus IS-50 QD SLR &

Minolta
Maxxum 50 SLR. Any ideas, which one to choose, are welcome. The Sigma
SA7 is also close to my budget but I had read some -ve reviews about
it. BTW I am able to spend ~170$ for body + lens.

May I suggest the Maxxum 5. Correct me if I am wrong, but the Maxxum 50
is the crippled Maxxum 5/70 and the price difference isn't much. I just
bought a Maxxum 5 off eBay for $90 (thanks to the $100 rebate on the
300D) plus a Tamron 28-200mm LD IF Super lens for $60 from KEH Camera
brokers. A new maxxum 5 body is for $119 at beachcamera and buydig.
Hope this helps,

Siddhartha

Old October 29th 04, 09:00 PM
Paul

Why not a used Nikon or Canon?
The way the film cameras have dropped in prices, you could possible get an
F70 or EOS 300.
Both easy to use and with nice features.

Old October 30th 04, 01:17 AM
Magnus W

"Siddhartha Jain" wrote in
oups.com:

May I suggest the Maxxum 5. Correct me if I am wrong, but the Maxxum 50
is the crippled Maxxum 5/70 and the price difference isn't much.

Correct, and seconded. A Maxxum 5 with a 28-80 is a better combo than the
Maxxum 50 with a 28-100.

Old October 30th 04, 01:31 AM
Alan Browne

Magnus W wrote:

"Siddhartha Jain" wrote in
oups.com:

May I suggest the Maxxum 5. Correct me if I am wrong, but the Maxxum 50
is the crippled Maxxum 5/70 and the price difference isn't much.

Correct, and seconded. A Maxxum 5 with a 28-80 is a better combo than the
Maxxum 50 with a 28-100.

Me three.

Old December 17th 04, 02:07 AM
measekite

"Yenky" wrote in message
om...

Hi,

I am a beginner in photography and am wanting to buy an SLR camera.
The follwoing two cameras fit my budget Olympus IS-50 QD SLR & Minolta
Maxxum 50 SLR. Any ideas, which one to choose, are welcome. The Sigma
SA7 is also close to my budget but I had read some -ve reviews about
it. BTW I am able to spend ~170$ for body + lens.

Tnx in advance.
Vinay

I would either buy Nikon or Canon. Choose carefully. Then as time goes
buy make an investment in good lenses. Then you will be able to upgrade
the camera body (possibly to digital) without loosing your investment.