Photoshop Project

Old October 24th 15, 12:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

Default Photoshop Project

On 10/23/2015 05:14 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:

I don't go back and re-edit photos very often, but this photo is one
I've re-edited several times. I use it as an exercise in using the
Photoshop tools, layer masks, and whatever's new in PS.

It's a good exercise since the power lines require quite a bit of
Photoshopping. The woman is from a different shot of the same scene.

This is my latest effort. I started from scratch with the original
.jpg (top) and produced the bottom version. This was shot back in
2008 in .jpg before I started shooting in RAW.

Did I miss anything?

https://tonycooper.smugmug.com/AUE-P...8-12-02-X3.jpg

Very nice.
The lady at the box office adds an interest point being dressed in a
similar color to the posters. It kind of balances or centers the image.
But there is "something wrong" and knowing that she is composited in
explains what that something is.

The telco, cable, and power lines are handled nicely.

The left side of the building looks like it might be bowed out. Is there
still a bit of the light pole at the level between the first and second
floor windows?

When you removed the left side light pole, why did you leave the bottom
piece of the pole?

OK, I've picked all the nits I can. You do realize if you hadn't shown
the original photo, there would have been a lot less nitpicking, right?

--
Ken Hart

Old October 24th 15, 02:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-10-24 00:38:05 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 19:14:27 -0400, Ken Hart
wrote:

[...]

The light pole on the left was the most difficult part to remove. It
is right up against the edge of the brickwork so an edge had to be
re-created. I didn't even notice that I left the stub. Without the
original, people would take that for something natural to the scene.

Vanishing Point might have made that part of the exercise a little easier.

The second most difficult part was removing the car at the left while
leaving the steps. I had to re-create part of the steps by drawing in
the rail.

Yes, I do realize that in stating that this was an exercise in PS that
things are seen that might not be noticed otherwise. SavageDuck, for
example, doesn't see an elbow he thinks should be there, but the elbow
isn't in the shot that she was lifted from.

Elbow!?? I did even use the word "elbow", I don't believe anybody else
used the word "elbow" either.

She was lifted from a shot taken four years later with the same view.
The woman standing at the ticket window has her left arm in front of
her and the right arm is akimbo. She was not Photoshopped in that
photo.

I don't think she "floats" anymore than she floats in the
non-Photoshopped version, but I do agree that the light on her is
noticeably different than on the rest of the front. She would not
cast a shadow because the sun is behind the building, but she would be
*in* shadow. The marquee casts a shadow, but she's under it.

I did say she seems to be floating.

This was a morning shot in 2012. The building faces east. The 2008
shot was an afternoon shot.

Here's the 2012 photo where the woman was actually photographed above
the Photoshopped new version of the 2008 shot.
https://tonycooper.smugmug.com/AUE-P...12-02-1-X3.jpg

I don't mind the nitpicks, though. The purpose of an exercise is to
practice and develop skills. The only way you really know if the
practice is working is to have other people see it and point out the
flaws.

Savageduck

Old October 24th 15, 03:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 10/23/2015 08:38 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
snip
[...]

With that pair of photos, I think I have it: she is too sharp, and too
saturated (sort of like a magenta sock!) in comparison to the rest of
the photo.

Did I get it right?

--
Ken Hart

Old October 25th 15, 01:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

To my eye, and I only have one functioning until next week, the
important part is the overall effect. That you have achieved. If you are
submitting an image to a CC competition, nitpicking is the order of the
day. If you are selling the print for a few thousand, then the elbow
becomes an air of mystery, added by the artist.

--
PeterN
Old October 26th 15, 12:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Both "theater" and "theatre" are used in the US. "Theatre" is used
more when the building is used for live productions. The Athens was
built in 1922 for vaudeville acts and silent movies.

theatre is typically used for the art and theater for the venue.