Super Moon eclipse

Old September 26th 15, 01:40 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Super Moon eclipse

In article , Giff
wrote:

I would like an app which, when I turn around the phone, shows me
exactly where to expect the moon to rise, does such an app exist?

there are quite a few such apps and not just the moon but stars,
planets and even satellites.
Old September 26th 15, 03:09 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-09-26 10:39:56 +0000, Giff said:

On 25/09/2015 18:37, PeterN wrote:
This Sunday there will be a super moon, followed by a partial eclipse.
If any are interested in photographing it, check you local area for
exact times and locations.

There is a program that gives you specific information including times,
where to look, etc. The PC version is free.

http://photoephemeris.com/

I would like an app which, when I turn around the phone, shows me
exactly where to expect the moon to rise, does such an app exist?

Just click on the link above. That will take you to the photographer's
Ephemeris site where you will find they have versions for iOS, Android,
and an online edition. I have the app on my iPhone and iPad.

Savageduck

Old September 26th 15, 03:13 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-09-26 11:29:59 +0000, Pablo said:

Ken Hart wrote:

The only problem I foresee is that since this lunar event is the end of
the world, I won't have time to develop the film that I shoot, let alone
post the photos on facebook.

I will have lived exactly 54 years. Nice birthday present. Death.

Sometimes the end isn't that convenient.
54 - hummph! There are some in this room, for whom 50, 60, 70 and 80
are just fond memories.

Savageduck

Old September 26th 15, 03:27 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 9/26/2015 6:39 AM, Giff wrote:
On 25/09/2015 18:37, PeterN wrote:
This Sunday there will be a super moon, followed by a partial eclipse.
If any are interested in photographing it, check you local area for
exact times and locations.

There is a program that gives you specific information including times,
where to look, etc. The PC version is free.

http://photoephemeris.com/

I would like an app which, when I turn around the phone, shows me
exactly where to expect the moon to rise, does such an app exist?

The link takes you to an app that gives you that information. If you
want to see where to stand in relation to a landmark, the app does that to.

--
PeterN
Old September 26th 15, 05:08 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Giff:
I would like an app which, when I turn around the phone, shows me
exactly where to expect the moon to rise, does such an app exist?

Already mentioned in this thread: The Photographer's Ephemeris
http://photoephemeris.com/ covers sunrise/set and moonrise/set. No
need to rotate the phone or iPad. Also available free as a web app for
your Mac.

If you need the stars and deep-sky as well, try SkySafari Pro. Here you
get to wave your phone around.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old September 26th 15, 05:43 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| I would like an app which, when I turn around the phone, shows me
| exactly where to expect the moon to rise, does such an app exist?

There's no need for an app. It's easy to find moon
phase times online. Here's an example:

http://www.calendar-365.com/moon/moon-phases.html

As for direction, look east. It might not always be
*exactly* east, but for all practical purposes it it.
Why would you need data to find it, anyway? It's
a light in the sky.

Old September 26th 15, 06:09 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| I would like an app which, when I turn around the phone, shows me
| exactly where to expect the moon to rise, does such an app exist?

There's no need for an app. It's easy to find moon
phase times online. Here's an example:

http://www.calendar-365.com/moon/moon-phases.html

it's much easier with an app on a phone that tells you where the moon
is *now* and which can be checked while outside and not just for the
moon either.

As for direction, look east. It might not always be
*exactly* east, but for all practical purposes it it.
Why would you need data to find it, anyway? It's
a light in the sky.

you must be kidding.
Old September 26th 15, 06:25 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , rickman
wrote:

As for direction, look east. It might not always be
*exactly* east, but for all practical purposes it it.
Why would you need data to find it, anyway? It's
a light in the sky.

you must be kidding.

He has a point. The moon is the largest body in the sky at night. How
hard is it to find?

eventually you can find it but knowing when and where to look and what
phase it will be in helps a *lot*, plus the apps show much, much more
than just the moon.
Old September 26th 15, 06:32 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 09/26/2015 01:25 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , rickman
wrote:

As for direction, look east. It might not always be
*exactly* east, but for all practical purposes it it.
Why would you need data to find it, anyway? It's
a light in the sky.

you must be kidding.

He has a point. The moon is the largest body in the sky at night. How
hard is it to find?

eventually you can find it but knowing when and where to look and what
phase it will be in helps a *lot*, plus the apps show much, much more
than just the moon.

I plan to just drive my Ford F150 pickup in circles until the display on
the dashboard shows "E".
For confirmation, I'll have a small potted tree on the back of the
truck, and I can check where the moss is growing then turn right 90 degrees.

--
Ken Hart

Old September 26th 15, 06:42 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Davoud

rickman:
He has a point. The moon is the largest body in the sky at night.

Bzzzzzt! The Moon is the *brightest* body in the night sky. There are
many objects with a greater angular diameter than the Moon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:I...onomical_objec
ts_by_angular_size. Not all are visible to the unaided eye, however.

How hard is it to find?

Depends on the weather, dunnit? I knew exactly where to look for the
Moon from central Maryland last night, but I couldn't see it to save my
life. I expect the same will be true for tomorrow's eclipse, though I
will have a telescope ready
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/21181354091 in case of an
unexpected improvement in the weather.

But here's a nice photo of the Moon that my wife and I made a few years
ago: https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/5543413228/.