Nora

Old August 22nd 13, 06:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default Nora

Savageduck wrote:

What truly boggles the mind is, Jonas getting so twisted out of shape
with Dave (not known for his typing and spelling skills) for a humorous
jibe.

Haha, no. The jibe was fine. My response to his post was a humorous jibe
back at him, making fun of the fact that he made a grammar mistake in
his grammar flame, which is ironic.

A lot of OTHER posters seems to have become bent out of shape about
that, however. For reasons I can't begin to understand it became very
important to you people that Dave didn't make a grammar mistake! I'm not
sure why that was so important.

One which was obviously self-deprecating and without malice.

Of course.

The degree to which Dave's grammar was mangled in the "joke" is
unimportant.

Unless you ask you guys, who has made a huge deal about how important
the "mangled grammar" was. It's quite unimportant to me, it was just
ironic that it was present.

We have yet to hear from anybody who is in agreement with Jonas on this one.

Huh? Dave himself has confirmed it! Pensive hamster as well, and lately
now Sid posted three (3) links that all agree with my side of the story
- i.e. that even if a phrase is based on grammatical inaccuracy, adding
more to it isn't justified. If I were to listen to you guys, this
version of the line would be perfectly viable:

"pity you didn't spoken English like what myself also the Queen
has did"

ALL examples of this phrase used by ANYONE in this thread has NOT mixed
tense apart from Dave's first post. Every single example shared by
anyone has supported me 100%.

And yet you guys go on and on and on and on. Rinse and repeat.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old August 22nd 13, 06:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article ,
pensive hamster wrote:

On Wednesday, 21 August 2013 23:13:18 UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:

Well, at least this isn't a case of, "My hovercraft is filled with eels".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_Hungarian_Phrasebook

Min kamera r full av sill.

Trkigt att hra, min r full med avklippta naglar och bitar av ett
marsvin.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old August 22nd 13, 12:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 8/22/2013 1:57 AM, Sandman wrote:
In article ,
pensive hamster wrote:

On Wednesday, 21 August 2013 23:13:18 UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:

Well, at least this isn't a case of, "My hovercraft is filled with eels".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_Hungarian_Phrasebook

Min kamera r full av sill.

Trkigt att hra, min r full med avklippta naglar och bitar av ett
marsvin.

Nu som var rolig :-)

--
PeterN
Old August 22nd 13, 01:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article ,
PeterN wrote:

Well, at least this isn't a case of, "My hovercraft is filled with eels".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_Hungarian_Phrasebook

Min kamera r full av sill.

Trkigt att hra, min r full med avklippta naglar och bitar av ett
marsvin.

Nu som var rolig :-)

r det nu jag ska klaga som en galning p din svenska grammatik?
Kanske...

--
Sandman[.net]
Old August 22nd 13, 02:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

Yeah, I also figured as much. What would he mean by that? What kind of
"presence" would personalities and characters have across threads?

The same as they do in real life.

Ok, so basically the entire "thread" thing was superflous. Personalities
and characters can... exist. Why yes, yes they can!

"Surely it should be, My family and I................."

What's wrong with pointing out errors I wouldn't bother but I have a lot of
foreign friends and they actively ask me to draw attention to any errors in
English I think they make.

Seriously? They ask you? Huh...

A while ago a Spanish girl asked me what's the differnce between "it's
********" and it's the "dogs ********" when english people say that.

Would you care to explain it ?

The origin of the expression is highly debated. I remember the Eddie
Izzard sketch when he makes fun of it

For me, I think it's a version of the expressions "cat's pajamas" and
"bee's knees", but there are many theories out there. Eric Partridge
thinks it comes from the typographic ":-" but that sounds a bit far
fetched to me.

Now I'm not sure if your were drunk when you typed
"My and my family went to the small town of Nora"

No, I just misspelled "Me". But I do acknowledge that "My family and I"
is the more proper way to write it.

I never drink alcohol.

but I certainly didn;t accuse you of being drunk or calling you drunk sandman
because you made a typo or spelling mistake, or grammar error you don;t even
seem to know which error(s) you made or do you ?

I made a spelling mistake (i.e. I spelled "me" as "my"), but even with
that corrected, one could argue that it's also a grammar mistake. I
don't agree 100%, but I understand the thinking.

if it was me that wrote the above you'd.... say drunk dave says .....
you seem to think I'm drunk if I don't correct teh to the, is this because
you have a problem yourself ?

You seem to take offense at the obvious joke of your nick name coupled
with your haphazard typing. I never meant any offense, and apologize if
you were offended.

Now, I don't mind that at all. I *know* I make mistakes and I
know I made a mistake in this very thread. But then Dave
ironically enough also had a grammar mistake in his grammar
flame, something too ironic to pass up on. I made fun of this
just as he had made fun of me and all would have been well and
nice if not the Illiterati had joined and claimed that no no
no, they had read Dave's mind and Dave's sentence was
*supposed* to be grammatically incorrect, mixing tenses, having
incorrect punctuation and capitalisation - it's a *cultural
reference*!

Which it was, but you missed it.

I absolutely 100% missed the cultural reference. I admitted to that
directly when I found out.

It was supposed to be written that way.

You keep *saying* that.

T'was.

So why did you write it the correct way when you explained the
reference? The only one misusing tense in this kind of expression is
you, in that first post. Not when you explained it. Sid's references
also supported my notion that mixing tenses is not part of the
expression, as did Pensive Hamster.

and that's a northern emglish way of saying it was. IT IS NOT a
spelling mistake IT IS NOT A typo or a brain fart and I'm not drunk.

I better keep quiet here, or I'll offend you

http://stumac27.wordpress.com/2012/0...lish-like-wot-
i-do-6/

Great example to prove my point. The lack of a third person justifies
the "do" tense of the word. Compa

"Speak English the way I do it"
"Speak English the way the Queen does it"

"Does" is used with third person singular pronouns. In your example, the
"do" is not en example of a mixed tense.

You've still not got it yet have you.

Stop saying it and start supporting it, Dave.

There are many ways of writing most things and the majorioty of themj aren;t
gramatically coretc or corect according the The Queens English another is
know as Received Pronunciation or BBC speak.

What is your form called?

There's NOT just one way of getting a sentace wrong, but you don;t seem to
understand that.

What gave you that impression? Your sentence was wrong in three ways
(not four, as I had initially thought).

I don't think it's complicated at all.

Then how come you just don't get it maybe it'

Stop claiming it, start supporting it.

Huh? Do you have any support for this claim, i.e. that I have been
rude to him prior to him being rude to me? I may have. I know I've
called him "Drunk Dave" based on his constant mangling of letters,
and that's a play on his nickname. It was never meant rudely, but I
guess it could be interpreted as such.

I am partially dyslexic and have a scar on my leg but I'm not drunk.

So, you're partially dyslectic, yet the people here will vouch for you
correctly representing a written phrase? Hmmm.

The last time I was drunk at work was in the early 80s. I've never
posted while drunk as I've never felt the urge to use a computer
while drunk unless it's to play a game.

As I've said, if you've taken offense at the joke of you being drunk,
then I apologize. It was never my intention.

You don't remember the previous threads recently in this group
that you have argued over the correct usage of English words or
phrases?

Absolutely! How does arguing about definitions of English words
"set me up" for grammar flames from Dave?

I didn't flame you.

I beg to differ. But I was ok with that. I don't mind it.

I can't remember ever arguing about definitions of words with
Dave. The only people I can remember "arguing" with are Tony, Eric
and Peter. Tony and Eric are trolls so they will argue anything
just to argue, and with Peter I only argued about the definition
of the word "pejorative" which he thought was a synonym for
"vulgar".

When I believe someone has made an error even if I'm not part of that
discussion I tend to point it out, espeially when they're claiming others are
trolls and I don't see them as trolls.

You have a lot to do, then! I see you're constantly failing to post
corrections to PeterN though. Better get to work!

I may have missed some, but neither of those "set me up" for *grammar*
flames, as far as I know.

caloign me drunk because I type teh instead of the is that what you mean ?

I never called you drunk because you misspell "the", though. I had said
it *once* prior to this thread:

Sandman
Nibbling on an Apple
08/13/2013

The number one reason I can never take any posts from drunk Dave
seriously "I don;lt"

I was in reference to the very fact, that I can't imagining that you
would claim is unreasonable, that you posts are riddled with hard to
decipher misspellings and errors that seem to all come from not paying
enough attention to the keyboard while typing.

Given your nickname, the fun thing was to call you drunk and that that
was what caused this, and obviously you took offense with this. That
wasn't my intention, so I apologize, again.

Maybe Dave saw me talk about the definition of a word and assumed
that since I talked about word definitions, my posts must be
grammatically impeccable? But that's hardly my fault.

I'd only think that if such a person was flaming or calling someone drink
when it's evident that such errors are typos for the most part.

No, sorry, they're not typo's. I don't care about typo's, I make lots of
them myself. Often, you miss punctuation and you insert weird characters
like semi colons and such here and there. I even have a hard time that
these would be symptoms of dyslexia.

I haven't claimed to be grammatically correct at all times (lord
knows I aint not that!)

actually ain't has the NOT conmtained in the n't

Aha, I wonder if the squad will rain down on you as they did me for not
getting the joke? My bet? No.

and I don't do grammar flames myself. I really don't do spelling
flames either, but I do admit that I have called out Daves "erratic"
spelling (or what you would call it) earlier.

So you've no idea or no way to work it out or know that those mistakes were
not due to drunkenss...

Nor did I need to know that in order to joke about it.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old August 22nd 13, 08:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

Seriously? They ask you? Huh...

Yes they do after all there's not many native English people in London.

Haha!

For me, I think it's a version of the expressions "cat's pajamas"

never heard that one.

Ok, it means that something is highly desirable

and "bee's knees", but there are many theories out there.

I've heard of it but never heard it used by anyone I know.

Both are from the twenties. The Bee's knees might be a funny version of
the word "business", so you're saying "Yes, that's the business": "Yes,
that's the bee's knees". The meaning is that it's something ultimate or
very fitting.

Now I'm not sure if your were drunk when you typed

"My and my family went to the small town of Nora"

No, I just misspelled "Me".

So it was a spelling mistake, so you didn;t know how to spell me.

Is that a serious question, Dave?

I thopught it was a typo

Uh, "typo" (short for "typographical error") and spelling mistake is the
same thing. Not sure what point you're trying to get across here.

or some call these brain farts which is where one
word comes into your head but another gets written.

Sure, but that wasn't it, here.

I never drink alcohol.

That explains it yuo don;t knwo what it';s like to be drunk so you think when
someones drunk they want to get on the NG and type .....
Some may, I don't

I have been drunk.

I made a spelling mistake (i.e. I spelled "me" as "my"),

as I said I though that was a typo but if it's a spelling mistake fair
enough.

It's the same thing.

You seem to take offense at the obvious joke of your nick name coupled
with your haphazard typing. I never meant any offense, and apologize if
you were offended.

Not offended but rather diapointed that a persons name must depict them or
theri behavoiur of course it can be true, I mean look at little john of Robin
Hood fame, and then you change my man anyway an add an 'e' to whisky.

Sorry, I can't understand much of what you wrote above. I mean, I can
probably understand what words you were supposed to write, but not what
you mean by it.

I absolutely 100% missed the cultural reference. I admitted to that
directly when I found out.

But you appeared to em and others to try to wiggle from this rather than just
admit it outright.

Nope. I admitted to it outright. I mentioned it explicitly many times.

it The only one misusing tense in this kind of expression is
you, in that first post. Not when you explained it. Sid's references
also supported my notion that mixing tenses is not part of the
expression, as did Pensive Hamster.

No because I Heard the original lines what you quoted was the title or
section from a book about Morecombe and Wise written 20-30 years after the
event.

Fine. All you have to do is find support for the notion that mixing
tenses is a common part of this phrase. Should be easy enough. Pensive
Hamster, sid and you have provided ample support for the opposite, so
get to it!

You've still not got it yet have you.

Stop saying it and start supporting it, Dave.

I have done

Not even one single time have you done it.

and I didn't say either of the two lines you seem to
think I said. Try quoting what I actually said next time it's pretty
easy to do.

Uh, I have been quoting you verbatim the whole time. This is your first
post in this thread:

Whisky-dave

Nice pics pity you don't speak proper english like what me
and the queen do

And then you tried to explain the reference, and you wrote this:

Whisky-dave

And I think it was ericM that used a phrase such as I speak
the queens english like wot she does.

I'll let the obvious difference speak for itself.

As I've said, if you've taken offense at the joke of you being drunk,
then I apologize. It was never my intention.

I know what the intention was, but it just got a bit tiresome after teh 4th
or so time

That would be quite the feat since I had said it exactly *once* before
this thread.

You have a lot to do, then! I see you're constantly failing to post
corrections to PeterN though. Better get to work!

either I don;t see the erros or I don't think anything needs correcting or
perhaps I'm just not intrested in that thread or post, or I have something
else to do.

Ah, I'm special

I never called you drunk because you misspell "the", though. I had said
it *once* prior to this thread:

So if I do a search for drunk dave or dave his drunk, I'll only find it once
from you is that it ?

Before this thread, yes.

Given your nickname, the fun thing was to call you drunk and that
that was what caused this,

It was fun the first time but it's happened 100s of times over the years.

Not by me. Surely you're not holding me responsible for people calling
you Drunk Dave hundreds of times over the years?

and obviously you took offense with this. That wasn't my
intention, so I apologize, again.

Again I wasn;t offended as such just found it rather pathetic after you'd
been told.

When was I told?

No, sorry, they're not typo's. I don't care about typo's, I make lots of
them myself. Often, you miss punctuation and you insert weird characters
like semi colons and such here and there.

Think that's the keyboard I tend to hit the wrong key.

So learn how the keyboard works, THEN type on it.

I even have a hard time that
these would be symptoms of dyslexia.

Have you ever check up on teh symptions ?

Yep

I haven't claimed to be grammatically correct at all times (lord
knows I aint not that!)

actually ain't has the NOT conmtained in the n't

Aha, I wonder if the squad will rain down on you as they did me for not
getting the joke? My bet? No.

I don't like the phrase "my bad" either .
I didn't see the above as a purposful error.

It was.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old August 22nd 13, 09:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sid[_2_]

Tony Cooper wrote:

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 15:14:00 +0200, Sandman wrote:

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

A while ago a Spanish girl asked me what's the differnce between "it's
********" and it's the "dogs ********" when english people say that.

Would you care to explain it ?

The origin of the expression is highly debated. I remember the Eddie
Izzard sketch when he makes fun of it

For me, I think it's a version of the expressions "cat's pajamas" and
"bee's knees", but there are many theories out there. Eric Partridge
thinks it comes from the typographic ":-" but that sounds a bit far
fetched to me.

Partridge did not say it came "from" the typographic [sic] colon-dash.
He said it was a printer's term *for* the typographical colon-dash.
It's a logical assumption given the visual form. "********" are
testicles, and the colon is the two testicles and the dash is the dog.
From the rear, that what we see.

Whether the expression originated with the printers, or if the
printers took up the expression to describe the colon-dash, is not
known.

What is interestng to me is that "the dog's ********" is an expression
that is used to describe something good, but the use of just
"********" is used to say "Untrue!", and even "Outrageously untrue!".

Jonas' comments about a misplaced grammatical error in Dave's
statement is ********.

Also interesting to me is that we say "It's the dog's ********" to
mean "It's a good thing", but we say "It's a dog's breakfast" to mean
it's a mess, or complete rubbish. Testicles are good, but food is
bad. Of course, dogs will eat some strange things.

It's gets more interesting when we find that "a dog's dinner", unlike
the breakfast, is a good thing like the dog's ********.

Jonas, who will allegedly not read this, would probably not accept the
difference between "from" and "for" in this context given his past
demonstrations of denial of mistakes, but it needs be said.

The advantage of Jonas' killfile is that he can continue in ignorance,
but the disadvantage is that he will continue in ignorance.

He will continue in that vein with or without his "killfile". That appears
to be his desire. Oddly.

--
sid
Old August 22nd 13, 09:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sid[_2_]

Sandman wrote:

But thanks anyway, the first time you actually put up something other
than mere hot air! Very good!

Condesending ******

It was supposed to be written that way.

You keep *saying* that.

That's because it was you moron. It matters not a jot how many times you say
you've proved this or that, the grammer was supposed to be incorrect and
that's the end of it. It's tough **** for you that you don't want to get
your head round that fact.

I wasn't referring to anything you have said to me

Ah, so you're just rude to me after rolling a dice?

you are however obsessively rude to Dave.

Huh? Do you have any support for this claim, i.e. that I have been rude
to him prior to him being rude to me? I may have. I know I've called him
"Drunk Dave" based on his constant mangling of letters, and that's a
play on his nickname. It was never meant rudely, but I guess it could be
interpreted as such.

I don't believe you. You've used the term drunk Dave as an insult every time
you have used it.

You can carry on insisting you're right and that everybody else that has an
opinion is wrong 'till the cows come home, makes no odds. EOD for me sonny.

--
sid
Old August 22nd 13, 10:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Whisky-dave wrote:

A while ago a Spanish girl asked me what's the differnce between "it's
********" and it's the "dogs ********" when english people say that.

Would you care to explain it ?

The origin of the expression is highly debated. I remember the Eddie
Izzard sketch when he makes fun of it

For me, I think it's a version of the expressions "cat's pajamas" and
"bee's knees", but there are many theories out there. Eric Partridge
thinks it comes from the typographic ":-" but that sounds a bit far
fetched to me.

Partridge did not say it came "from" the typographic [sic] colon-dash.
He said it was a printer's term *for* the typographical colon-dash.
It's a logical assumption given the visual form. "********" are
testicles, and the colon is the two testicles and the dash is the dog.
From the rear, that what we see.

[...]

I both could and would have helped him sort out one of his questions
about the use of bellows but am frustrated by his kill-file. Never
mind: it's his loss.

Eric Stevens
Old August 23rd 13, 03:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 8/22/2013 8:00 AM, Sandman wrote:
Är det nu jag ska klaga som en galning på din svenska grammatik?
Kanske...

Ви не постійні поскаржитися, якщо не ви розумієте Farci ;-)

--
PeterN