Nora

Old August 20th 13, 02:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default Nora

Savageduck wrote:

that used a phrase such as I speak the queens english like wot she
does.

Oh, "wot she DOES"? That's a curious use of tense there, Dave. We have
Duck and Sid screaming that you actually meant the other, incorrect,
tense. This is a bit embarrassing.

[...]

Whoosh!

The duck realizes he can't support his claim. Again.

Bye bye, better luck next time!

--
Sandman[.net]
Old August 20th 13, 02:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 2013-08-20 05:44:24 -0700, PeterN said:

On 8/20/2013 8:30 AM, Sandman wrote:

snip

But if you're going to write, perhaps you would do it some other way,
yes.

Can't resist:
"should"

"might"

Question of suggestive v. mandating.;-)

--
PeterN
Old August 20th 13, 02:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article ,
PeterN wrote:

But if you're going to write, perhaps you would do it some other way,
yes.

Can't resist:
"should"

Question of suggestive v. mandating.;-)

Or acknowledging a possibility. "I do it this way, maybe you would do it
differently". Right?

"If you're going to write, perhaps you would do it some other way". Not
should. I'm not suggesting he should do it, but rather acknowledging the
possibility of him doing it some way.

"I like using a bellow for macro, but perhaps you would do it some other
way".

Not sure it's written correctly, but I know that "should" isn't correct.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old August 20th 13, 02:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-08-20 06:24:29 -0700, Tony Cooper said:

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 07:23:17 +0200, Sandman wrote:

In article ,
Robert Coe wrote:

: Jonas, you're digging yourself a hole! Sid is letting you have it (with
: impeccable grammatical precision) in a recognizably non-RP British dialect.
: (Think Landsmål vs Rijksmål, I don't know whether there's an equivalent
: distinction in Svensk.)
:
: Warning: When Bret Douglas comes on next April 1 with his annual anti-Canon
: screed and promise to switch to Nikon, take a good, thoughtful look at the
: calendar before you respond. :^)

Sorry, I guess it was Dave who was ribbing you. Sid, like me, was trying to
help you see the light.

Well, it seems those that claim themselves to be English "experts" in
this group fail to provide much in the term of support for their claims.

As I've said, I have no problem admitting to missing a cultural
reference. That happens. Even so, with such a reference in mind, the
sentence was still riddled with grammatical and structural errors that
the fine people rushing headlong to support good old drunk Dave is
failing to account for

Jonas is somehow under the impression that a cultural reference must
be couched in a grammatically correct way. He is wrong.

As Pogo said, "We have met the enemy and he is us".

We can't convince him of his error. We can't get no satisfaction.

I resemble that remark. ;-)

Savageduck

Old August 20th 13, 03:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 8/20/2013 9:25 AM, Sandman wrote:
In article ,
PeterN wrote:

But if you're going to write, perhaps you would do it some other way,
yes.

Can't resist:
"should"

Question of suggestive v. mandating.;-)

Or acknowledging a possibility. "I do it this way, maybe you would do it
differently". Right?

"If you're going to write, perhaps you would do it some other way". Not
should. I'm not suggesting he should do it, but rather acknowledging the
possibility of him doing it some way.

"I like using a bellow for macro, but perhaps you would do it some other
way".

Not sure it's written correctly, but I know that "should" isn't correct.

I thought you acknowledged that "should" is what you meant.
Only you can say whether you were suggesting or mandating.

--
PeterN
Old August 20th 13, 05:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-08-20 08:48:34 -0700, Whisky-dave said:

No, but I'm not sure he was the first to use it either.
But that's like me saying a Californian (not the boat/ship) would say how'dy

"HOWDY!!!" Who says that in California, outside of the "Beverly
Hillbillies", "Gomer Pyle", & "Minnie Pearl"?
Though with Minnie Pearl, to those with sensitive ears it was more
likely to sound like "HOW-w-w-DEEE--E-E!!" at a pitch that would
sterilize all the squirrels in a 9 acre field.

If you were going current urban, I would expect to hear the pseudo
cool, 'sup more today.

Savageduck

Old August 20th 13, 05:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 8/20/2013 11:58 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 20 August 2013 14:25:51 UTC+1, Sandman wrote:

"I like using a bellow for macro, but perhaps you would do it some other

way".

Well I would but I do have a set of bellows, I can't see how using a bellow for macro would work, can you explain how shouting at a small object makes it easier to photograph ?

Obviously, it scares the little critters into a pre focused spot.

--
PeterN
Old August 20th 13, 05:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 2013-08-20 08:48:34 -0700, Whisky-dave said:

No, but I'm not sure he was the first to use it either.
But that's like me saying a Californian (not the boat/ship) would say
how'dy

"HOWDY!!!" Who says that in California, outside of the "Beverly
Hillbillies", "Gomer Pyle", & "Minnie Pearl"?
Though with Minnie Pearl, to those with sensitive ears it was more
likely to sound like "HOW-w-w-DEEE--E-E!!" at a pitch that would
sterilize all the squirrels in a 9 acre field.

If you were going current urban, I would expect to hear the pseudo cool,
'sup more today.

Your spelling is wrong. the correct spelling is "HOW-w-w-DEE--E-E-E!!"
Dontcha know nuttin?

--
PeterN
Old August 20th 13, 05:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-08-20 08:48:34 -0700, Whisky-dave said:

No, but I'm not sure he was the first to use it either.
But that's like me saying a Californian (not the boat/ship) would say
how'dy

"HOWDY!!!" Who says that in California, outside of the "Beverly
Hillbillies", "Gomer Pyle", & "Minnie Pearl"?
Though with Minnie Pearl, to those with sensitive ears it was more
likely to sound like "HOW-w-w-DEEE--E-E!!" at a pitch that would
sterilize all the squirrels in a 9 acre field.

If you were going current urban, I would expect to hear the pseudo cool,
'sup more today.

Your spelling is wrong. the correct spelling is "HOW-w-w-DEE--E-E-E!!"
Dontcha know nuttin?

Ouch!
That just killed all the fleas on my couch.

Savageduck

Old August 20th 13, 09:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sid[_2_]

Sandman wrote:

In article ,
sid wrote:

Also note the punctuation and capitalisation:

Drunk Dave:
"Nice pics pity you don't speak proper english like what me and the
queen do"

Actual English:
"Nice pics. Pity you don't speak proper English like me and the
Queen"

I'm not an expert, but I'm not stupid either. There is a middle road

See, you're doing it again. Preaching to the converted. I am, as is Dave,
a native English speaker.

So it should be clear to you.......... blah blah blah

Seeing as you snipped the relevant bits and are clearly not listening to
everyone else in the group I'll leave you to your digging. Oz shouldn't be
too far away now.

--
sid