DVD+R vs DVD - R

Old February 11th 08, 10:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

Default DVD+R vs DVD - R

MikeM wrote:
I have used DVDs to back up digital photos on my computer. I started
using HDDs because I kept getting errors on the disks. Since then I
have read a number of posts about burning speed making a difference. I
am thinking of having another go at disks, but burning at the slowest
speeds. The speed difference might explain my experience that DVD-RWs
didn't have errors, it seems it might have been because they are 4X. I
was burning the DVD-Rs at whatever speed my burner chose.

I've found it best not to use the top-rated speed, but burning 16X at 12X
seems to be OK in one of my PCs, whereas burning at 16X sometimes gave
errors on the verification pass.

David

Old February 11th 08, 11:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
HEMI-Powered

MikeM added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

I have used DVDs to back up digital photos on my computer. I
started using HDDs because I kept getting errors on the disks.
Since then I have read a number of posts about burning speed
making a difference. I am thinking of having another go at
disks, but burning at the slowest speeds. The speed difference
might explain my experience that DVD-RWs didn't have errors,
it seems it might have been because they are 4X. I was burning
the DVD-Rs at whatever speed my burner chose.

I just let Roxio Easy Media Creator run on full automatic wrt
burn speed. As best I can tell, it has always detected the
correct speed of the disc I use whether CD or DVD and whether -R
or +R. Of course, true burn speed is seldom up to the full speed
rating of the disc the same as HDD seldom even approach their
rated data transfer rates.

As to using HDD for backups, I do that also. I have a Maxtor 280
gig USB external that I use for daily incremental backups if I am
doing a lot of image processing or whatever. And, I have a couple
of 200 gig externals that I use to back up both my PCs to about
every 30-60 days. One of these 2 sits in my bank's safety deposit
box and the other in a fire-proof box off the floor in my
basement. In the days of early IT, this system used be called
"grandfathering" backup tapes, although they used to use 3 sets
of tapes.

Like you, I find external HDDs to be far faster and easier to use
than optical. But, a few times a year, I do create a full set of
backup DVDs (used to be a whole lot more CDs!) to add some
redundancy to my paranoia about catastrophic loss of data due to
a B & E theft, natural disaster, or home fire.

As I commented in another post, I don't use RW and haven't had
what would look like a speed-related failure in so long I can't
recall when.

Good luck in whatever you've chosen for your backups et al and
have a great week!

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 04:40:38 GMT, MikeM
wrote:

I was told by a salesman that the 50 packs of TDK DVD+Rs are
$20 dearer than 50 packs of DVD-Rs because the DVD+Rs are
intended for archival use whereas the DVD-Rs are for recording
things like TV shows. This is not what I've been told about
the difference in the past. The packs seem to be almost
identical, no mention of quality on either pack.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"Never complain, never explain" - Henry Ford II
Old February 11th 08, 11:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
HEMI-Powered

David J Taylor added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...

MikeM wrote:
I have used DVDs to back up digital photos on my computer. I
started using HDDs because I kept getting errors on the
disks. Since then I have read a number of posts about burning
speed making a difference. I am thinking of having another go
at disks, but burning at the slowest speeds. The speed
difference might explain my experience that DVD-RWs didn't
have errors, it seems it might have been because they are 4X.
I was burning the DVD-Rs at whatever speed my burner chose.

I've found it best not to use the top-rated speed, but burning
16X at 12X seems to be OK in one of my PCs, whereas burning at
16X sometimes gave errors on the verification pass.

What brand(s) of discs do you prefer, David, and what brand(s)
have you found to be more problematical than others. As I
commented in another post, I haven't had any speed-related
failures since the Roxio 5 CD-R days, none I can recall with many
types of media with Roxio 8.

Old February 11th 08, 11:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

HEMI-Powered wrote:
David J Taylor added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...

[]
I've found it best not to use the top-rated speed, but burning
16X at 12X seems to be OK in one of my PCs, whereas burning at
16X sometimes gave errors on the verification pass.

What brand(s) of discs do you prefer, David, and what brand(s)
have you found to be more problematical than others. As I
commented in another post, I haven't had any speed-related
failures since the Roxio 5 CD-R days, none I can recall with many
types of media with Roxio 8.

Jerry,

To be honest, I haven't done a lot of comaprison. The two 100-packs on my
shelf right now are marked Verbatim and Philips 16X DVD-R, but who knows
where they were really made? I did just get a 250GB portable HD, and
copied my CDs and DVDs onto it. All but one disk read OK, and that one
disk read in just one of the three PCs I tried - possibly the one where it
was written. Whether it's false security I don't know, but I feel I can
trust the HD more (I have two).

Cheers,
David

Old February 11th 08, 12:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MikeM

What's the latest thinking on when archived DVDs need to be copied to
fresh disks? After how many years?

Thanks
Mike

Mike

Old February 11th 08, 12:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
HEMI-Powered

HEMI-Powered wrote:
[...]

OK, thanks, David. I'll stick with Verbatim, they seem to be the
most reliable for both my PC and DVRs. Have a grea week!

Old February 11th 08, 02:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
tomm42

HEMI-Powered wrote:
[...]

Right now I'm using Taiyo-Yuden DVD+Rs, they have been bullet proof,
previously I used HP (made by Taiyo Yuden) But all of a sudden the
price dropped and the disks just felt cheap compared to an ealier
batch or the other TY disks I have used. I use Plextor, Phillips and
Lacie (don't know who makes the DVD drive here) drives.
I have heard about using 1X and 2X recording speeds, mostly from
archiving sources, but I have also heard of error created when a fast
drive is slowed down too much. I let my drives work at their speed,
and can't remember the last failed disk I have writen, which of course
means I will get one today. The Phillips drive is on a mission
critical application backing up a medical photographic system. There
is error checking beyond the DVD protocol and again the TY disks have
been bullet proof. We do recheck disk integity every year. Over 700
CDs/DVDs in the backup files.

Tom
Old February 11th 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
dj_nme[_2_]

MikeM wrote:

I was told by a salesman that the 50 packs of TDK DVD+Rs are $20
dearer than 50 packs of DVD-Rs because the DVD+Rs are intended for
archival use whereas the DVD-Rs are for recording things like TV
shows. This is not what I've been told about the difference in the
past. The packs seem to be almost identical, no mention of quality on
either pack.

Thanks
Mike

It might also depend on what else you're planning to do with your burnt
DVDs.
Quite a few DVD players that I've recently used can only play back DVD-R
discs.
It should make zero difference for data to be only read by a computer.
Old February 11th 08, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 09:33:18 GMT, MikeM wrote
in :

wrote:

I was told by a salesman that the 50 packs of TDK DVD+Rs are $20
dearer than 50 packs of DVD-Rs because the DVD+Rs are intended for
archival use whereas the DVD-Rs are for recording things like TV
shows. This is not what I've been told about the difference in the
past. The packs seem to be almost identical, no mention of quality on
either pack.

I have used DVDs to back up digital photos on my computer. I started
using HDDs because I kept getting errors on the disks. Since then I
have read a number of posts about burning speed making a difference. I
am thinking of having another go at disks, but burning at the slowest
speeds. The speed difference might explain my experience that DVD-RWs
didn't have errors, it seems it might have been because they are 4X. I
was burning the DVD-Rs at whatever speed my burner chose.

Rewritable discs (RW) are different technology that has lower
reflectivity and higher chance of error on readback as compared to write
once (R) discs. I personally would not use them for archival storage.

--
Best regards,
John Navas
Old February 11th 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 09:57:41 GMT, "David J Taylor"
wrote in
:

MikeM wrote:
I have used DVDs to back up digital photos on my computer. I started
using HDDs because I kept getting errors on the disks. Since then I
have read a number of posts about burning speed making a difference. I
am thinking of having another go at disks, but burning at the slowest
speeds. The speed difference might explain my experience that DVD-RWs
didn't have errors, it seems it might have been because they are 4X. I
was burning the DVD-Rs at whatever speed my burner chose.

I've found it best not to use the top-rated speed, but burning 16X at 12X
seems to be OK in one of my PCs, whereas burning at 16X sometimes gave
errors on the verification pass.

Based on my own analysis of soft error rate with a variety of different
media, I usually limit my own DVD burn speed to 4X when burning archival
media.