D200 and flash trigger voltage

Old January 27th 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
No Way

Default D200 and flash trigger voltage

Does anybody know if the Photogenic Powerlight 1500SL trigger voltage is
too high for the Nikon D200?
Old January 27th 08, 12:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Michael Benveniste

"No Way" wrote:

Does anybody know if the Photogenic Powerlight 1500SL trigger voltage is
too high for the Nikon D200?

According to the manufacturer, older Photogenic units have a trigger
voltage between 12 and 15 volts:

http://www.photogenicpro.com/customer_service/FAQ.asp

When in doubt, I relax, don't worry, and use a Wein Safe-Sync.

--
Michael Benveniste --

Old January 27th 08, 02:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bugs

In article ,
"Michael Benveniste" wrote:

"No Way" wrote:

Does anybody know if the Photogenic Powerlight 1500SL trigger voltage is
too high for the Nikon D200?

According to the manufacturer, older Photogenic units have a trigger
voltage between 12 and 15 volts:

http://www.photogenicpro.com/customer_service/FAQ.asp

When in doubt, I relax, don't worry, and use a Wein Safe-Sync.

Thanks

I'll look into the wein safe sync
Old January 27th 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
____

In article
,
No Way wrote:

Does anybody know if the Photogenic Powerlight 1500SL trigger voltage is
too high for the Nikon D200?

According to Nikon technical support when I called them, I was told the
D200 is safe for flash up to 250 volts. Thats DC current- BTHW. What's
interesting that is; since the Nikon flash SB800 and SB600 have trigger
voltages around 3.3 volts at the pins, I wonder how accurate that
information is.

Since the D200 has a PC connection you have multiple options with regard
to the Wein Products Pronounced "Wine".

You can view them all at:

www.omegasatter.com

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old January 27th 08, 05:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

____ wrote:
In article
,
No Way wrote:

Does anybody know if the Photogenic Powerlight 1500SL trigger voltage is
too high for the Nikon D200?

According to Nikon technical support when I called them, I was told the
D200 is safe for flash up to 250 volts. Thats DC current- BTHW. What's

It's peak *voltage*, *not* "DC current", and doesn't
really matter if it is DC or AC. (Just keep in mind
that most AC voltages are not described in terms of a
"peak voltage", but as RMS or some other form.)

The point is that no voltage under any circumstance
should approach 250 volts on the D200 flash sync lead.

interesting that is; since the Nikon flash SB800 and SB600 have trigger
voltages around 3.3 volts at the pins, I wonder how accurate that
information is.

It is probably very conservative.

The trigger voltages for the Nikon flash units are not
related in any way. They must also work on many other
cameras, some of which cannot tolerate more than 6 volts
on the sync lead.

Since the D200 has a PC connection you have multiple options with regard
to the Wein Products Pronounced "Wine".

You can view them all at:

www.omegasatter.com

http://www.weinproducts.com/safesyncs.htm

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old January 28th 08, 11:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

____ wrote:
In article ,
(Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

It's peak *voltage*, *not* "DC current", and doesn't
really matter if it is DC or AC.

Can you prove there is a higher backfeed of current?

Why would I, and what is "a higher backfeed of current"?

My point was that you don't care about current, you care
about peak voltage.

If your using a volt meter it matters, you can't read AC current with a
DC reading meter, can you?

If you are smart enough, yes. But the point is that
using a plain DC DVM is probably not going to give an
accurate reading.

It should be looked at with a scope, though I'll grant
that if a DVM gives a relatively low static reading (say
40 volts), I wouldn't be too concerned. But if it is
190V, I'd get a scope to be positive.

(Just keep in mind
that most AC voltages are not described in terms of a
"peak voltage", but as RMS or some other form.)

As in cycles

No. "Root Mean Square" gives you the same *effective*
values as you would have for DC at that value. It's
useful for power calculations.

The point is that no voltage under any circumstance
should approach 250 volts on the D200 flash sync lead.

www.omegasatter.com

http://www.weinproducts.com/safesyncs.htm

Omega Satter is the distributer and has more in depth an in most
instances more recent product info.

I didn't find much of anything on the omegasatter page.
One product, and not details.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old January 28th 08, 02:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
tomm42

On Jan 26, 8:55 pm, No Way wrote:
Does anybody know if the Photogenic Powerlight 1500SL trigger voltage is
too high for the Nikon D200?

I was told the max power on a D200 synch cord is 67 volts, but only 12
volts on the flash shoe, surprising how many older flashes excede
this. Wein safe synch is the way to go if you are in doubt.

Tom
Old January 28th 08, 11:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
____

In article ,
(Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

____ wrote:
In article ,
(Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

It's peak *voltage*, *not* "DC current", and doesn't
really matter if it is DC or AC.

Can you prove there is a higher backfeed of current?

Why would I, and what is "a higher backfeed of current"?

A Higher voltage at the moment that the flash is triggered.
That way I understand the PC connection is the your basically just
closing a loop and the volts read at the pins of shoe flash or the pin
and shield represent the trigger voltage of the flash in question:
unless there is a surge (back-feed from the pack that produces a higher
spike) beyond the reading I just referred to.

My point was that you don't care about current, you care
about peak voltage.

If your using a volt meter it matters, you can't read AC current with a
DC reading meter, can you?

If you are smart enough, yes. But the point is that
using a plain DC DVM is probably not going to give an
accurate reading.

Granted you can mathmatically translate DC to AC.

It should be looked at with a scope, though I'll grant
that if a DVM gives a relatively low static reading (say
40 volts), I wouldn't be too concerned. But if it is
190V, I'd get a scope to be positive.

I've actually measured and been shocked by a few of those kind

(Just keep in mind
that most AC voltages are not described in terms of a
"peak voltage", but as RMS or some other form.)

As in cycles

No. "Root Mean Square" gives you the same *effective*
values as you would have for DC at that value. It's
useful for power calculations.

The point is that no voltage under any circumstance
should approach 250 volts on the D200 flash sync lead.

www.omegasatter.com

http://www.weinproducts.com/safesyncs.htm

Omega Satter is the distributer and has more in depth an in most
instances more recent product info.

I didn't find much of anything on the omegasatter page.
One product, and not details.

One most plug "Wein" into the search on the front page, you'll get all
the items listing that way and yes they have a rather kludgey website.

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old January 29th 08, 12:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

____ wrote:
In article ,
(Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

____ wrote:
In article ,
(Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

It's peak *voltage*, *not* "DC current", and doesn't
really matter if it is DC or AC.

Can you prove there is a higher backfeed of current?

Why would I, and what is "a higher backfeed of current"?

A Higher voltage at the moment that the flash is triggered.

Okay. (Why call it current? That is *not* the same as voltage.)

That way I understand the PC connection is the your basically just
closing a loop and the volts read at the pins of shoe flash or the pin
and shield represent the trigger voltage of the flash in question:
unless there is a surge (back-feed from the pack that produces a higher
spike) beyond the reading I just referred to.

One possibility is that if there is any amount of
inductive reactance in the circuit, it might very well
have a spike. The other problem is that DVM's read
average voltage, and if the actual voltage is only there
for a short time, the voltage read by the DVM may or may
not be accurate.

Using a higher quality oscilliscope to measure the
voltage is a better method.

My point was that you don't care about current, you care
about peak voltage.

If your using a volt meter it matters, you can't read AC current with a
DC reading meter, can you?

If you are smart enough, yes. But the point is that
using a plain DC DVM is probably not going to give an
accurate reading.

Granted you can mathmatically translate DC to AC.

Forget about AC and DC. That has nothing to do with it.
Peak voltage is all that counts.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)