Still professional journalist photography dead?

Old December 30th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Kilpatrick

Default Still professional journalist photography dead?

Jay Beckman wrote:

And you'd need to be on the surface of the sun to get enough light for
quality images at a shutter speed of 1/10,000.

Wow. My 1990s film-cam Minoltas had top speeds of 1/16,000th and
1/12,000th and I never needed to go that close to our principal light
source.
Old December 30th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jay Beckman

"Philip Homburg" wrote in message
.phicoh.net...
In article ,
Jay Beckman wrote:
And you'd need to be on the surface of the sun to get enough light for
quality images at a shutter speed of 1/10,000.

ISO 100, sunny 16 and f/1.4?

--

Ahem, aperture in the "Sunny 16" rule is, well, f/16.

Sorry...

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.pbase.com/flyingphotog

Old December 30th 06, 09:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Philip Homburg

In article ,
Jay Beckman wrote:
"Philip Homburg" wrote in message
q.phicoh.net...
ISO 100, sunny 16 and f/1.4?

Ahem, aperture in the "Sunny 16" rule is, well, f/16.

Yeah right. If you are math challenged, stick to f/16.

Old December 30th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Scott W

Jay Beckman wrote:
And you'd need to be on the surface of the sun to get enough light for
quality images at a shutter speed of 1/10,000.

ISO 100, sunny 16 and f/1.4?

--

Ahem, aperture in the "Sunny 16" rule is, well, f/16.

Sorry...

You might want to go back and read what the rule is.
But just to save you the math for a sunny day, whey you are using the
funny 16 rule shooting at ISO 100 and f/1.4 would give you a shutter
speed of 1/13,000 sec.

Scott

Scott

Old December 30th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Jay Beckman wrote:

And you'd need to be on the surface of the sun to get enough light for
quality images at a shutter speed of 1/10,000.

ISO 100, sunny 16 and f/1.4?

--

Ahem, aperture in the "Sunny 16" rule is, well, f/16.

Sunny-16 is a reference for which reciprocity applies.

eg: for ISO-100 f/16 1/100 is the same as ISO 100 f/8 1/400 is the same
as ISO 400 f/16 1/400

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old December 30th 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Jay Beckman wrote:

And you'd need to be on the surface of the sun to get enough light for
quality images at a shutter speed of 1/10,000.

I've shot 1/12,000 @ f/22 and 2 more stops of ND filters at ISO 100.
From the surface of the earth. I assure you.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old December 30th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Alan Browne wrote:
Jay Beckman wrote:

And you'd need to be on the surface of the sun to get enough light for
quality images at a shutter speed of 1/10,000.

I've shot 1/12,000 @ f/22 and 2 more stops of ND filters at ISO 100.
From the surface of the earth. I assure you.

Kinda begs the question: What were you shooting? A blast furnace?

--
John McWilliams
Old December 30th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

John McWilliams wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

Jay Beckman wrote:

And you'd need to be on the surface of the sun to get enough light
for quality images at a shutter speed of 1/10,000.

I've shot 1/12,000 @ f/22 and 2 more stops of ND filters at ISO 100.
From the surface of the earth. I assure you.

Kinda begs the question: What were you shooting? A blast furnace?

Shaddow graphs of leaves. Sun was the backlight _and_ properly exposed.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old December 30th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Scott W

Alan Browne wrote:
John McWilliams wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

Jay Beckman wrote:

And you'd need to be on the surface of the sun to get enough light
for quality images at a shutter speed of 1/10,000.

I've shot 1/12,000 @ f/22 and 2 more stops of ND filters at ISO 100.
From the surface of the earth. I assure you.

Kinda begs the question: What were you shooting? A blast furnace?

Shaddow graphs of leaves. Sun was the backlight _and_ properly exposed.

So that would be about the same exposure that you would use on the
surface of the sun?

Scott

Old December 30th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Scott W wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

John McWilliams wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

Jay Beckman wrote:

And you'd need to be on the surface of the sun to get enough light
for quality images at a shutter speed of 1/10,000.

I've shot 1/12,000 @ f/22 and 2 more stops of ND filters at ISO 100.
From the surface of the earth. I assure you.

Kinda begs the question: What were you shooting? A blast furnace?

Shaddow graphs of leaves. Sun was the backlight _and_ properly exposed.

So that would be about the same exposure that you would use on the
surface of the sun?

No, that would be another stop or two as there is the earth's atmosphere
to account for, and the day in question had a lot of smoke in the
atmosphere from forest fires burning in northern Quebec (it was the
coloring of the sky due to that that prompted me to shoot at the sun in
first place).

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.