Canon Lenses - Digital/Film

Old December 20th 06, 12:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Default Canon Lenses - Digital/Film

*From:* "J. Clarke"
*Date:* 19 Dec 2006 18:30:17 GMT

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 12:42:51 -0500, Gregory Bruno wrote:

I am about to purchase a Canon Digital Rebel XTi for my business,
and
part of the decision depends upon my ability to use the Canon EF "L"
series lenses that I already have from my EOS film camera.

While shopping on Amazon, I saw references to to lenses being "for
Canon SLR cameras" or "for Canon DSLR cameras." What exactly is this
saying? Are lenses for Canon EOS film SLR cameras able to be used
with
the DSLR's, or not?

The EOS lenses for Canon's film cameras work fine on their digitals.
The
ones made specifically for APS-C digitals, however, do not for the
most part work on the film cameras or the full-frame digitals.

The EF-S lenses use a different mount to EF lenses. All EF-S mount
cameras also take EF lenses, but full frame and film cameras don't have
EF-S mounts so won't take EF-S lenses. So they don't just not work, but
don't fit!
Old December 20th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Brace

wrote in message
"BoomBoom" wrote in message

This is one of the reasons I prefer the Nikon "system", where if you
have one or more different Nikon digital bodies at least they will
work with all Nikon AF lenses.

You obviously aren't aware that Nikon have a wide range of variations on
their mount with many lenses only being fully usable on some cameras.

Basically there are 3 different ways of setting the lens aperture, 2
different ways of auto-focusing the lens and lenses that cover full
frame 35mm and others that don't. Low end bodies often only support the
later methods, so earlier lenses won't work as they were originally
intended.

All nominally with the same mount!

The reason the D40 only works with some lenses is that it doesn't have
an in-camera focus motor, so non-HSM lenses can't be auto-focused.

Other low end Nikon bodies didn't support the older ways of reading the
lens aperture setting, so exposure metering didn't work with those
lenses. This has improved a little with bodies like the D200, but still
the only true guarantee that you'll be able to use almost all Nikon
mount lenses as they are meant to be used is to buy an expensive D2h or
D2x body.

Canon OTOH have just EF lenses and EF-S lenses, and they are designed so
you can't mount an EF-S lens on a camera which only takes EF lenses, and
all cameras which take EF-S lenses will also take all EF lenses.

Yes, I know they won't mount older FD lenses without a severely
compromised adaptor, but at least they don't go around claiming that
they have always had the same lens mount while continually adding extra
things to it like Nikon and Pentax.

Yes, with Nikon, the lenses will mount and they "will work" (as BoomBoom
said above) variations from body to body notwithstanding.
And the Lens Mount is "the same" as Nikon indicates, in that "normal use"
lenses will mount. Nikon specifically points out what the usability of the
lens' "feature set" is with each specific body model. Even the usability of
the rare "special use" lenses are pointed out plainly.
Bob

Old December 20th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
BoomBoom

Robert Brace wrote:
wrote in message
"BoomBoom" wrote in message

[...]

I didn't comment on Nikon lenses and compatibility, Derek wrote that
post. My post was in reference to the EOS-10D not accepting EF-S lenses.
I don't think there is much confusion with regard to Canon lenses and
compatibility, the 20D-30D line and the Rebel series will most likely
both continue to accept EF-S and EF lenses, all other current Canons
will accept EF mount lenses.
The 10D was not designed with EF-S lenses in mind, so an EF-S lens
will not physically mount. My guess is that it (the 10D) has a full size
mirror, but that is purely a guess on my part.
Old December 21st 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
dylan

No, EF-S Lenses will not work on the EOS 10D.

Unless you get your hacksaw out !

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...s/efs-10d.html

Old December 21st 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jay Beckman

"dylan" wrote in message
ups.com...

No, EF-S Lenses will not work on the EOS 10D.

Unless you get your hacksaw out !

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...s/efs-10d.html

Now can you do that to the 10-22mm (and would you?)

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.pbase.com/flyingphotog

Old December 22nd 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

With Canon, yes you can use the EF and E lenses but there is one big
difference, the E lenses won't mount macro rings. The EF will.

Harry

Harry;

Old December 23rd 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Skip

wrote in message
ps.com...
With Canon, yes you can use the EF and E lenses but there is one big
difference, the E lenses won't mount macro rings. The EF will.

Harry

"E" lenses? What are "E" lenses? Canon currently produces EF and EF-S
lenses, and, as far as I know, there is no problem mounting macro rings on
an EF-S lens, since the front of the lens is pretty standard.

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old December 24th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Colin_D

Skip wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...
With Canon, yes you can use the EF and E lenses but there is one big
difference, the E lenses won't mount macro rings. The EF will.

Harry

"E" lenses? What are "E" lenses? Canon currently produces EF and EF-S
lenses, and, as far as I know, there is no problem mounting macro rings on
an EF-S lens, since the front of the lens is pretty standard.

I think he means extension rings, most of which have the EF mount, which
means they won't allow an EF-S lens to mount on the ring. There are
some like Kenko rings which are made for EF-S lenses, but you have to
check before you buy.

Colin D.

Old December 24th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Skip

"Colin_D" wrote in message
.. .
Skip wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...
With Canon, yes you can use the EF and E lenses but there is one big
difference, the E lenses won't mount macro rings. The EF will.

Harry

"E" lenses? What are "E" lenses? Canon currently produces EF and EF-S
lenses, and, as far as I know, there is no problem mounting macro rings
on an EF-S lens, since the front of the lens is pretty standard.

I think he means extension rings, most of which have the EF mount, which
means they won't allow an EF-S lens to mount on the ring. There are some
like Kenko rings which are made for EF-S lenses, but you have to check
before you buy.

Colin D.

Ah, I thought he meant the add on macro lenses that go on the front of the
lens. You make more sense, the extension rings sounds right. But he's
making it sound like E lenses are a separate type, like EF and EF-S.

Old December 24th 06, 07:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
default

"Colin_D" wrote in message
.. .
I think he means extension rings, most of which have the EF mount, which
means they won't allow an EF-S lens to mount on the ring. There are some
like Kenko rings which are made for EF-S lenses, but you have to check
before you buy.

The Canon EF 12 II and EF 25 II extension tubes both take EF and EF-S lenses
but many 3rd party ones do not. The original (non II) Canon tubes do not
take EF-S lenses.

Actually this is a good way to use your EF-S lenses on a film or FF camera.
The EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM macro lens will cover a full frame even at f/2.8 on
a 12mm extension tube. It makes a pretty good macro lens for full frame
that way as well. Of course it is only macro that way but all of the lens
electronics work correctly on my Elan IIe. The EF-S 18-55 will also cover a
full frame with the 25mm tube or at longer focal lengths on the 12mm tube.
The 17-85 does not cover however.