Why do some eyes twinkle?

Old December 12th 06, 09:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Why do some eyes twinkle?

Hi,
I notice that on TV and in movies, possibly in real life, that some of
the actor's eyes twinkle more than others. I am talking about more
than the normal well placed catch lights. Does the director make a
conscious decision and tell the director of photography to make that
person's eyes twinkle or is it something about the physics of some
people's eyes.

Thanks,
Ron

Old December 12th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jay Beckman

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,
I notice that on TV and in movies, possibly in real life, that some of
the actor's eyes twinkle more than others. I am talking about more
than the normal well placed catch lights. Does the director make a
conscious decision and tell the director of photography to make that
person's eyes twinkle or is it something about the physics of some
people's eyes.

Thanks,
Ron

Sometimes there is a light mounted right on top of the camera called a
"Kicker Light" and this will add more than the usual amount of light in the
eyes.

Don't forget what they're able to do in post production too...

Good example is in the most recent version of King Kong with Jack Black and
Naomi Watts. Watch carefully when Jack Black is trying to convince Naomi
Watts' character to be in his movie. There is a sparkle effect in her eyes
that actually grows as the he starts to win her over. May have been done
with a live ring light but probably was added in post. They use this effect
several times in the movie.

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.pbase.com/flyingphotog

Old December 12th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Christopher Campbell wrote:

As Jay noted, lighting is important to making eyes twinkle.

But it is easier to get some eyes to twinkle more than others. People who
have heavy eyelids make it harder for the photographer. There is just a
smaller area to work with, is all.

I feel sure there is more too it. I will post back when I have some
examples. Steve Mariuci from the NFL channel and that girl that starred
in Ghost come to mind but I am working from memory so I have no way to
confirm it for now. Anyway, thanks for the interesting and helpful
replies.
Ron

Old December 13th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jay Beckman

wrote in message
oups.com...

Christopher Campbell wrote:

As Jay noted, lighting is important to making eyes twinkle.

But it is easier to get some eyes to twinkle more than others. People who
have heavy eyelids make it harder for the photographer. There is just a
smaller area to work with, is all.

I feel sure there is more too it. I will post back when I have some
examples. Steve Mariuci from the NFL channel and that girl that starred
in Ghost come to mind but I am working from memory so I have no way to
confirm it for now. Anyway, thanks for the interesting and helpful
replies.
Ron

TV it's definately the lighting (if it's a live football studio show...)
Movies it could be the lighting or it could be post production...
If it's Demi Moore, it's cause she's "HAWT..." (especially at the time she
made Ghost...)

;O)

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ

Old December 13th 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sudee

Jay Beckman wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

In movies & TV they use artificial tears (glycerin, I think) to get that
bright,wet eyed look Demi Moore had through most of the film.

Sue
Old December 13th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
if

" wrote:

Hi,
I notice that on TV and in movies, possibly in real life, that some of
the actor's eyes twinkle more than others. I am talking about more
than the normal well placed catch lights.

Glycerine.

You could also use a starburst filter to enhance those specular highlights.
Old December 13th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

minnesøtti wrote:

You might need to ask this question at sci.optics or sci.med.vision
group. Practicioners of eye optics are knowledgeable on this subject.
My personal opinon is that there are too many sources of light in the
studio. Therefore, as the camera moves, there are more chances that the
light from one of those sources is reflected back into the camera's
lens.

I think the answers are more likely to be found in the beauty/glamour
and modeling fields. I know that the most beautiful people are not
always the most photogenic. Being able to see the difference can make
you a lot of money. Things like bone structure, blood flow,
intelligence, mental health etc. go into determining how someone will
look on film. I also think some people have a characteristic twinkle
that is manifest only on film.

Thanks,
Ron