Olympus EVOLT - 8 MP Consumer DSLR (four thirds)

Old September 27th 04, 08:01 PM
Richard Cockburn

Default Olympus EVOLT - 8 MP Consumer DSLR (four thirds)

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04...lympuse300.asp

8 Megapixel consumer DSLR from Olympus ... will this be a formidable
challenge to the Canon Digital Rebel and the Nikon D70? Will this be the
big break for four thirds?

Three new lenses too ...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04...mpuslenses.asp

--
"We are twice armed if we fight with faith." (Plato)

-Richard Cockburn
Old September 27th 04, 08:03 PM
Richard Cockburn

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04...lympuse300.asp

8 Megapixel consumer DSLR from Olympus ... will this be a formidable
challenge to the Canon Digital Rebel and the Nikon D70? Will this be the
big break for four thirds?

Three new lenses too ...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04...mpuslenses.asp

.... and the flash

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04...lympusfl36.asp

Old September 27th 04, 08:31 PM
Brian C. Baird

In article , says...
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04...lympuse300.asp

8 Megapixel consumer DSLR from Olympus ... will this be a formidable
challenge to the Canon Digital Rebel and the Nikon D70? Will this be the
big break for four thirds?

Three new lenses too ...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04...mpuslenses.asp

My guess with that sensor size is... No.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
Old September 27th 04, 08:38 PM
Richard Cockburn

Brian C. Baird wrote in
:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04...lympuse300.asp

8 Megapixel consumer DSLR from Olympus ... will this be a formidable
challenge to the Canon Digital Rebel and the Nikon D70? Will this be
the big break for four thirds?

Three new lenses too ...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04...mpuslenses.asp

My guess with that sensor size is... No.

On the surface, that is what one would expect, but the first time DSLR
owner might not be as concerned about that. Look at how many people are
buying these 8MP cameras like the Pro1 ... with a 2/3 sensor. If the price
is right, Oly might actually have something here.

I still plan to buy my 20D very soon. My EOS bag is pretty decent, and this
now Oly model can't touch the 20D. I'll also be keeping the 10D.
Nonetheless, I still like to see competition among the manufacturers, and
it will be interesting to see how this affects the entry-level DSLR market
.... if it has any effect at all.

Old September 27th 04, 09:03 PM
Frank ess

Brian C. Baird wrote:
In article , says...
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04...lympuse300.asp

8 Megapixel consumer DSLR from Olympus ... will this be a formidable
challenge to the Canon Digital Rebel and the Nikon D70? Will this be
the big break for four thirds?

Three new lenses too ...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04...mpuslenses.asp

My guess with that sensor size is... No.

Sounds right.

I'd like to suggest an answer for the Naming question on dpreview: The
inquirer wanted to know why Oly can't just call this new one the E-300
or some such.

Look at the number of posts in this group around the time Mr. Canon
introduced his 300D that were from Brand New users who referred to their
cameras as "Digital Rebel". Still happens. Watch how many who go for the
Oly and show up talking "EVOLT".

How can you expect to combat a REBEL with an e-something?

--
Frank ess

Old September 27th 04, 09:03 PM
Richard Cockburn

Brian C. Baird wrote in
:

On the surface, that is what one would expect, but the first time
DSLR owner might not be as concerned about that. Look at how many
people are buying these 8MP cameras like the Pro1 ... with a 2/3
sensor. If the price is right, Oly might actually have something
here.

Sure, but how long until Canon packs the 20D sensor in an updated
Rebel body for $899? Olys high noise glory will be short lived.

The beauty of competition.