Photoshop book recommendations

Old December 14th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim

Default Photoshop book recommendations

Hi

Can anyone tell me if there is a particular Photoshop book which stands out
of the crowd? I can use basic tools like straightening converging lines and
basic clone brush work but that's as far as it goes. I totally suck at using
layers (don't know why as I use them all day long in AutoCAD - but I do) and
I really seem to struggle making good masks.

I realise it's probably a bit of a personal depending on which field you
work in, which is one of the reasons for posting. I'd like something that
was biased towards photography and not graphics or pre-press work.

I've read reviews of The Photoshop Book for digital Photographs by Scott
Kelby it sounds about right but I think that it might stop just a shade
short of the level I need

Thanks for any advice

Tim

--
http://www.timdenning.myby.co.uk/

Old December 14th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

I've read reviews of The Photoshop Book for digital Photographs by Scott
Kelby it sounds about right but I think that it might stop just a shade
short of the level I need

That's the book I was going to suggest to you. Why do you feel it is
just shy of what you need? Are you looking for a Photoshop book that
specializes in layers and masks?

Chieh
--
Camera Hacker - http://www.CameraHacker.com/

Old December 14th 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ockham's Razor

In article .com,
" wrote:

I've read reviews of The Photoshop Book for digital Photographs by Scott
Kelby it sounds about right but I think that it might stop just a shade
short of the level I need

That's the book I was going to suggest to you. Why do you feel it is
just shy of what you need? Are you looking for a Photoshop book that
specializes in layers and masks?

Chieh
--
Camera Hacker - http://www.CameraHacker.com/

Check the Powells Books website. They have dozens of PS books.

If you want to get complicated there is a PS magazine that has many tips
and "secrets" of the PS experts.

--
There are two ways to spell Ockham/Occam. Britannica prefers the former.
Old December 14th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Arnor Baldvinsson

Hi,

If you want to get complicated there is a PS magazine that has many tips
and "secrets" of the PS experts.

Do you have a url for that magazine?
--
Arnor Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas

Old December 15th 06, 07:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave

CS Artistry, by Haynes and Crumpler, I found this the best one for me. good
detail, walks you through examples, good discussion of technique and
workflow. Walk through this book page by page, and at the end you will be
very confident. I refer back to it all the time.

Also have a look at books by Deke Mclelland. I read Adobe Photoshop CS
one-on-one. Cookbook techniques but very practical, he's a good teacher.

Scott Kelby is a good writer, but coverage of topics is a little
superficial. May be OK for an intro.

Dave

.uk...

Old December 15th 06, 09:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Derek Fountain

I've read reviews of The Photoshop Book for digital Photographs by Scott
Kelby it sounds about right but I think that it might stop just a shade
short of the level I need

I can't stand stand Kelby's writing style. He seems to make a project of
fitting in as many inane and often pathetic "jokes" as possible. Wading
past the "your computer will blow up if you miss this next step" bits
trying to get to the base of what he's saying is a horrible reading
experience. On the other hand he clearly knows what he's talking about,
and he sells enough books to justify whatever writing style he chooses,
so you might get on with him.

The thinking man's choice would be Martin Evening and his snappily
titled "Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Photographers: A Professional Image
Editor's Guide to the Creative Use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and
PC." It assumes a bit more knowledge of Photoshop and is a lot less
irreverent than the Selby books. It also pushes detail (both technical
detail and image detail) a good bit further.
Old December 15th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Brian

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 09:00:59 +0000, Derek Fountain
mentioned:

[...]

I have both the Kelby and Evening books and find they complement each
other - Evening has more detail and says what PS does, Kelby shows you
how.. (I found his Bridge and RAW chapters the better of the two).

Brian