Question about numbering modes in Canon 350D

Old April 13th 06, 08:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Question about numbering modes in Canon 350D

I currently use continuous, where it fills up folders ... 150, 151, 152,
.... independent of downloads.

My question is, if I try out "auto reset," where the camera resets every
time I upload ... if I later go back to continuous, will the camera
start up from where I left off before? Or will it start over again at
folder 101?

That doesn't seem to be in the manual. I already have a system going
with Continuous mode, and I'd like to try out the reset mode but only if
I can go back to where I was before with Continuous.
Old April 14th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Bill" wrote in message
.. .
fishfry wrote:

I currently use continuous, where it fills up folders ... 150, 151, 152,
... independent of downloads.

My question is, if I try out "auto reset," where the camera resets every
time I upload ... if I later go back to continuous, will the camera
start up from where I left off before? Or will it start over again at
folder 101?

Yes and no, the camera will start where it left off for each mode.

So if you use the reset option to go back to zero, you can immediately
change it to continuous, and it will then start counting up again, but
from zero. And you can't go back to continuous and start at image 152
since the card and camera will both think you started from scratch.

If you want to have a running count, don't change anything.

If it works the same as other canons (A40 and A95), you can fake it out. For
a card with existing images, it will always increment from that image. So
take a shot, put the card in a reader and rename the image to be one less
than what you want the next number to be, put card back in camera and use. I
found the camera didn't seem to care that the directory name wasn't what it
would have normally used, it will create a new correctly named directory for
that next shot. If it doesn't, rename the directory to what you think it
should be and good luck figuring that out from their manual. Realize I'm not
familiar with the 350D.
Dave Cohen