Color Control

Old November 3rd 04, 07:21 AM
Gary Eickmeier

Default Color Control

I have a complaint.

I'm not sure yet how it is with the full Photoshop, but with Photodeluxe
or any version of Photoshop Elements I have tried, there is no good way
to adjust white balance after the fact. You have the Color Cast
eyedropper, which is a cut and try effect. You have the Color
Variations, which is another crude stepped control. You have Levels,
which requires you to manually adjust each of three colors, as best you
can by eye.

What I want is a slider or dial which runs the photo through a white
balance adjustment, marked by color temperature, from cold to warm. This
would be much better than a "hue" control or any of the other crude
adjustements described above.

Your thoughts?

Gary Eickmeier
Old November 3rd 04, 07:38 AM
Mark M

"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message
.. .
I have a complaint.

I'm not sure yet how it is with the full Photoshop, but with Photodeluxe
or any version of Photoshop Elements I have tried, there is no good way
to adjust white balance after the fact. You have the Color Cast
eyedropper, which is a cut and try effect. You have the Color
Variations, which is another crude stepped control. You have Levels,
which requires you to manually adjust each of three colors, as best you
can by eye.

What I want is a slider or dial which runs the photo through a white
balance adjustment, marked by color temperature, from cold to warm. This
would be much better than a "hue" control or any of the other crude
adjustements described above.

Your thoughts?

If you want to adjust white balance after teh fact, then you should be
shooting in RAW mode. If your camera doesn't offer this, then you are
losing a real opportunity to control your images. With RAW, you can
completely control all aspects of wite balance after the fact.
You don't mention what camera you're using, so I have no idea if you have
this available to you or not...

Old November 3rd 04, 02:03 PM
Gary Eickmeier

Mark M wrote:

If you want to adjust white balance after teh fact, then you should be
shooting in RAW mode. If your camera doesn't offer this, then you are
losing a real opportunity to control your images. With RAW, you can
completely control all aspects of wite balance after the fact.
You don't mention what camera you're using, so I have no idea if you have
this available to you or not...

Thanks Mark. I have an Oly E20. But this adjustment should not be
available only in RAW mode. We don't all want or need to shoot in RAW
all the time.

Another complaint is that the adjustments you make in your photo
processing program don't carry over to the next photo you import. For
one serious example, suppose you shoot a gray frame under the lighting
conditions you are using, for the purpose of white balancing later.
Well, you could open the gray frame, white balance it, but then what?
How do you then apply that balance to the next photo? Perhaps there is
some big point I am missing.

Gary Eickmeier

Old November 3rd 04, 03:05 PM
Owamanga

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 14:03:58 GMT, Gary Eickmeier
wrote:

Mark M wrote:

[...]

If you do this correction using an adjustment layer [little button
that looks like a tilted contrast symbol at the bottom of the layers
palette) (good habit, because it's non-destructive). The adjustment
layer(s) can then be copied to the next image by right-clicking on it
and choosing 'Duplicate layer', specifying the next image as the
destination.

Bit messy, maybe someone has a simpler way to do this?

I haven't bothered with gray-cards yet though, I found that a visual
adjustment of the color temp until it looks pleasing to me works fine.
It may not be accurate but it looks nice.

Then again, I've never needed to color-match a whole sequence of
images. For such a project it would indeed be prudent to use the same
correction on each picture.

--
Owamanga!

Old November 3rd 04, 03:12 PM
Owamanga

wrote:
How do you then apply that balance to the next photo? Perhaps there is
some big point I am missing.

I forgot to add this link which goes through a sample workflow for a
single photo, may be of interest to you:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...orkflow1.shtml

--
Owamanga!