I'm looking for a book on Photoshop - 'Inside Photoshop".

Old March 27th 18, 04:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default I'm looking for a book on Photoshop - 'Inside Photoshop".

On Mar 27, 2018, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

I hear that in teh USA it;s easier to buy a gun than sorftare and that more
people own guns than they do software that is a cultrual thing.

Not really.I can buy software and cameras online, not so with guns (legally
anyway).

I have much more software than guns, and I have more cameras(I just don’t
seem to get around to selling old stuff) than guns.

Current score 10 cameras to 8 guns.

Savageduck

Old March 27th 18, 06:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-03-27 15:49:46 +0000, Savageduck said:

On Mar 27, 2018, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

I hear that in teh USA it;s easier to buy a gun than sorftare and that more
people own guns than they do software that is a cultrual thing.

Not really.I can buy software and cameras online, not so with guns (legally
anyway).

But the dude at the store knows your needs...

I have much more software than guns, and I have more cameras(I just don’t
seem to get around to selling old stuff) than guns.

First put the guns on a scale, and then the soft...

Current score 10 cameras to 8 guns.

Most of your cams are obsolete...
--
teleportation kills

Old March 27th 18, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Mar 27, 2018, android wrote
(in article ):

On 2018-03-27 15:49:46 +0000, Savageduck said:

On Mar 27, 2018, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

I hear that in teh USA it;s easier to buy a gun than sorftare and that more
people own guns than they do software that is a cultrual thing.

Not really.I can buy software and cameras online, not so with guns (legally
anyway).

But the dude at the store knows your needs...

Not really.

I have much more software than guns, and I have more cameras(I just don’t
seem to get around to selling old stuff) than guns.

First put the guns on a scale, and then the soft...

;-)

Current score 10 cameras to 8 guns.

Most of your cams are obsolete...

Sad, but true.

Savageduck

Old March 27th 18, 07:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

WinXP actually still works fine for everything I do, including the
internet.

apparently not, since you said https pages don't work properly.

not only that, but most sites require browsers that will not run on xp.

But I grew to love Win98 and still love it. Not to mention
that I have 98 era software for darn near everything, because I had
friends who collected and traded software and still have all of that
stuff.

oh, so you're a software pirate too.
Old March 27th 18, 08:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

My favorite was the Geocities site.

why am i not surprised.

I had my own webpage on there and
created another one for a small non-profit business I was invloved with.
I learned the basic HTML editing and also used and early version of
Netscape that did a decent job of creating websites. Heck, when we had a
high school reunion, I made a geocities site just for the reunion, and
everyone loved it. I was really saddened when geocities was killed.

geocities still lives. you just need to know where to look.

But there are still plenty of interesting things out
there. They sometimes require more work to find, but
I regularly get good information about all sorts of things.
(This morning I was researching pre-made shower slope
products to go under shower bed mud.)

Yes, I still can find a lot of useful info online, but it is hard to
find these days.

nonsense.

it's easier than ever to find info than it ever has been, which can
sometimes be disturbing.

I do my best to avoid using Google because of their
spying and greed.

no wonder you can't find anything.

But no matter what search engine I use, it caters to
certain commercial sites, particularly Amazon.

no it doesn't.

Wikipedia has a lot of
valuable info.

it does, except not all of it is correct. some is actively posted by
paid shills.

And when it comes to fixing my car or other similar
things, youtube is real helpful (even if it is owned by google).

it can be, but since it's google-owned, you should be avoiding it.

But the
internet these days lacks "personal space".

nonsense.

Those little geocoties
sites that everyone once had for themselves or their family, or a small
business, are gone.

which is good.

most of them were complete garbage with blinking doodads and ugly as
**** designs.

Everyone has gone to Facebook, Twitter, or similar.
Facebook is so boring and looks so much the same for everyone. Not to
mention I refuse to use their spying crap.

facebook isn't the only option.

As for online shopping, I never caught that bug. I still prefer going to
actual stores,

stores don't carry the wide range of products that can be found online.

also, it generally costs more in a store, plus the hassle and cost of
driving there, parking, waiting in line, etc.

some online vendors ship same day as late as 11p et/8p pt, with next
day delivery available. a couple of clicks, go to sleep, next day it's
on your doorstep.

but I do use Ebay some. Ebay is a good place to get
electronics, computer stuff, and car parts at cheap prices. But with
some things, it can actually cost more than an actual store. So you need
to beware if it and check the prices locally first.

that part is true.
Old March 27th 18, 08:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

I'll take the OLD internet anyday, even with its spam, malware and
heaven forbid warez.

...but first you should set the clock on your computer.

Savageduck

My clock is exactly right (give ot take a few seconds), for my CST time
zone (Daylight Savings time). If it's not showing up right, it's because
of AIOE, my ISP, or something else beyond my home, which I cant control.

nope. your clock is wrong, likely because you're using a ****ty
newsreader which also doesn't properly handle sig delimiters.
Old March 27th 18, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 08:52:50 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

wrote

| I just opened PSP 5.
| It says:
|
| Paint Shop Pro Version 5.01 Evaluation (JASC)
|
| Build Information:
| Build Date Jun 11 1998 @ 09:07:49
| Build Mode Release (5000102)
|
| Maybe that's not "Shareware" but it was free, as an evaluation.
| 20 years later, it still works, and I have never seen any limitations. I
| just see a nag screen when it loads telling me to register it.

I don't remember ever seeing that. When I bought
5 it came on a CD, in a box, from a store. But I think
that timeframe was when a lot of things were changing.
I have a brother who got Photoshop 4 with a scanner.
I got PSP4 with various hardware. It was a time of
transition to more professional usage of graphics
programs

It's likely all of your software would run on Win7 and
Win10. I haven't used Win10, but haven't yet found
anything that won't run on Win7. Microsoft never really
break backward compatibility, in general.

Unless there was a ver 5.00, 5.01 would be the first in the "5" series.
If you got it on a CD, was it ver 5.01? There could have been more
(higher) versions of "5", and probably were. YOu're right about the time
of transition. Heck, not too many years prior to that I was running Dos
programs or Windows 3, and I had a strong interest in graphic editing,
and the software was miserable, not to mention that at least a few of
the computers I was using still had mono (B&W) monitors or the ugly 3
colors that evolved before real color occurred. And that was just a few
short years before the internet began. Then I got PSP. Likely their
first version (not sure what number that was), and I found a graphic
program that actually had merit. I loved it, and it was one of the first
shareware programs I paid for, because I liked it so much.
PSP has always been my graphics editor of choice and probably always
will be.

I have heard mostly good things about Win7. I will likely get a deal on
a Win7 computer one of these days and may learn to like it. But I have
no interest in Win 10 whatsoever. (or Win8.x).

WinXP actually still works fine for everything I do, including the
internet. But I grew to love Win98 and still love it. Not to mention
that I have 98 era software for darn near everything, because I had
friends who collected and traded software and still have all of that
stuff. Win98 is no longer useful for web browsing though, but it does
still run my newsreader software and does email just fine. The computer
I run Win98 on, was taken to the limit with RAM and I even found a way
to exceed the hard drive limits, and still make it work. It plays videos
and does graphics just fine, as well as playing music which I pump into
a quality stereo sound system.

Not to mention that I still get to play with DOS, and I still find DOS
real useful for certain things, and at times enjoy playing with it
still.

Old March 27th 18, 09:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 10:05:34 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

wrote

| He's in the crowd that has ruined the internet by controlling it to the
| point whgere it's no longer fun or useful.

I don't think it's as nasty as that. He's simply a wiseacre
who has to have an opinion and bicker about *everything*.
Unfortunately, many people are fooled by his talent for
sounding coherent, which causes a lot of confusion because
he rarely says anything acurate and couldn't care less about
actually understanding things. But it can't be helped.

Someone proposed recently that nospam is actually a bot.
It's an intriguing idea. His responses are nearly always
oblique, related only superficially, and contain no actual
information:

A: The sky is blue.
N: Obviously.
A: I like to eat oatmeal bread.
N: Pumpernickel is better.
A: Acme Chair sells 4 styles of chaise lounge.
N: Wrong.

A computer could come up with that kind of thing.
Nospam could very well be an experiemnt run
by the kids at Stanford to research how people
rspond to arguing.

Thanks for the info. It seems like every newsgroup has at least one of
these types. After reading a few follow posts from this person (or
robot), I just added "it" to my filters. I have better things to do with
my time than read garbage.

| The early internet was a place to explore and it seemed limitless.
| Everyone had their own websites and some were creative, while others
| were just very basic

Amazing how much things have changed, isn't it?
I set up my first site on my free Mindspring (ISP)
web space. It took a few days to learn enough HTML
to get going. My sense was that everyone would just
chip in whatever they had that might be useful to
others.

My favorite was the Geocities site. I had my own webpage on there and
created another one for a small non-profit business I was invloved with.
I learned the basic HTML editing and also used and early version of
Netscape that did a decent job of creating websites. Heck, when we had a
high school reunion, I made a geocities site just for the reunion, and
everyone loved it. I was really saddened when geocities was killed.

Much of that is still there, but the ad-supported
business model hides it. Google gives points for
incoming links and frequent updates. And they make
the most money from sites with Google/Doubleclick
ads. So they just don't even list a lot of pages
anymore. The top ones are almost always commercial.

And many people are just eating pre-digested
Facebook or Twitter gruel. The same people who pay
to have their drinking water put into a plastic bottle,
pay to do yoga, pay to walk, and record it all on
their Fitbit so their life can be official. And the
same people who look for "cutting edge" thinking in
TED talks. "Consumers". They've been persuaded that
the Internet is not a town square but a shopping
mall. On the other hand, it's only their own laziness
that's allowed it to happen.

But there are still plenty of interesting things out
there. They sometimes require more work to find, but
I regularly get good information about all sorts of things.
(This morning I was researching pre-made shower slope
products to go under shower bed mud.)

Yes, I still can find a lot of useful info online, but it is hard to
find these days. I do my best to avoid using Google because of their
spying and greed. But no matter what search engine I use, it caters to
certain commercial sites, particularly Amazon. Wikipedia has a lot of
valuable info. And when it comes to fixing my car or other similar
things, youtube is real helpful (even if it is owned by google). But the
internet these days lacks "personal space". Those little geocoties
sites that everyone once had for themselves or their family, or a small
business, are gone. Everyone has gone to Facebook, Twitter, or similar.
Facebook is so boring and looks so much the same for everyone. Not to
mention I refuse to use their spying crap.

As for online shopping, I never caught that bug. I still prefer going to
actual stores, but I do use Ebay some. Ebay is a good place to get
electronics, computer stuff, and car parts at cheap prices. But with
some things, it can actually cost more than an actual store. So you need
to beware if it and check the prices locally first.

Just curious, what search engine do you use the most these days?

Old March 27th 18, 09:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 08:49:46 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Mar 27, 2018, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

I hear that in teh USA it;s easier to buy a gun than sorftare and that more
people own guns than they do software that is a cultrual thing.

Not really.I can buy software and cameras online, not so with guns (legally
anyway).

I have much more software than guns, and I have more cameras(I just don’t
seem to get around to selling old stuff) than guns.

Current score 10 cameras to 8 guns.

I just hope that you ONLY use the cameras to shoot people.... LOL