Is it OK to use an AC adapter while batteries are still in camera?

Old March 2nd 09, 05:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Is it OK to use an AC adapter while batteries are still in camera?

In article
,
" wrote:

I just got an official Canon AC Adapter for my A650 camera, and I was
wondering if it is OK to use the AC adapter without removing the
batteries?

of course it is. why wouldn't it be?
Old March 2nd 09, 10:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allodoxaphobia

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 12:48:58 -0500, nospam wrote:
" wrote:

I just got an official Canon AC Adapter for my A650 camera, and I was
wondering if it is OK to use the AC adapter without removing the
batteries?

of course it is. why wouldn't it be?

Depends.
Doing with my older Nikon CoolPix will 'over-cook' the batteries in
about 15-20 minutes. It actually over-heated and warpped the battery
compartment cover.

"They" probably save a lot of money by _not_ putting any
charging/over-charging control circuitry in the camera body.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
Old March 3rd 09, 04:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

" wrote:

I just got an official Canon AC Adapter for my A650 camera, and I was
wondering if it is OK to use the AC adapter without removing the
batteries?

of course it is. why wouldn't it be?

Depends.
Doing with my older Nikon CoolPix will 'over-cook' the batteries in
about 15-20 minutes. It actually over-heated and warpped the battery
compartment cover.

"They" probably save a lot of money by _not_ putting any
charging/over-charging control circuitry in the camera body.

Jonesy

Any device capable of using Alkaline cells should disconnect when a
power plug is inserted. This is true for any number of devices
particularly radios.
I'm not familiar with the Nikon CoolPix but if it overcooks it's a lousy
design.
GPS devices and cordless phones are left charging forever with no ill
effect.
Dave Cohen
Old March 3rd 09, 06:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell[_2_]

" wrote:

I just got an official Canon AC Adapter for my A650 camera, and I was
wondering if it is OK to use the AC adapter without removing the
batteries?

of course it is. why wouldn't it be?

Depends.
Doing with my older Nikon CoolPix will 'over-cook' the batteries in
about 15-20 minutes. It actually over-heated and warpped the battery
compartment cover.

"They" probably save a lot of money by _not_ putting any
charging/over-charging control circuitry in the camera body.

Jonesy

Sounds more like you have a defective camera.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old March 3rd 09, 07:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
GregS[_3_]

" wrote:

I just got an official Canon AC Adapter for my A650 camera, and I was
wondering if it is OK to use the AC adapter without removing the
batteries?

of course it is. =A0why wouldn't it be?

Depends.
Doing with my older Nikon CoolPix will 'over-cook' the batteries in
about 15-20 minutes. =A0It actually over-heated and warpped the battery
compartment cover.

"They" probably save a lot of money by _not_ putting any
charging/over-charging control circuitry in the camera body.

Thank you for your post. I found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Coolpix-.../dp/B00004U8LM

which seems to verify what you said. Here is what the reviewer said:

"My only quibble is not with the adapter, but the camera circuitry,
which requires that you remove the batteries when using any AC
adapter. It will not recharge them, but might cause the batteries to
overheat (according to Nikon)."

Based on that, I will assume that Canon isn't different from Nikon,
and I will remove the batteries when I use the AC adapter.

Good cameras will have batteries you take out to charge.

I can see the Nikon problem. I don't know if my Sony camcorder has that
problem, as you charge with battery in.

greg
Old March 3rd 09, 11:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ockham's Razor

In article ,
(GregS) wrote:

In article
,
" wrote:

[...]

On the last camcorder we owned, you had to take out the battery to
access the plug in for the AC adapter. Message there????

--
I contend we are both atheists - I just believe in
one fewer god than you do.
Old March 4th 09, 03:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allodoxaphobia

" wrote:

I just got an official Canon AC Adapter for my A650 camera, and I was
wondering if it is OK to use the AC adapter without removing the
batteries?

of course it is. why wouldn't it be?

Depends.
Doing with my older Nikon CoolPix will 'over-cook' the batteries in
about 15-20 minutes. It actually over-heated and warpped the battery
compartment cover.

"They" probably save a lot of money by _not_ putting any
charging/over-charging control circuitry in the camera body.

Jonesy

Sounds more like you have a defective camera.

Nope. s/camera/design/

I have three of'em. -- all wildly different serial numbers. All
overheat the batteries if left in the camera with the DC adapter in use.

See someone else's followup in the other sub-thread.

Jonesy