Really good software needed to correct dark pics

Old March 1st 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SS

Default Really good software needed to correct dark pics

I had some pics which were taken at an event in the Grosvenor London, but
they are dark as the flash was too far away. I need some good software to
brighten the shadows, correct the colour and remove the grain -
recommendations please!

Old March 1st 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

"SS" wrote in message
I had some pics which were taken at an event in the Grosvenor London, but
they are dark as the flash was too far away. I need some good software to
brighten the shadows, correct the colour and remove the grain -
recommendations please!

Lightroom, Photoshop, in that order.

Go and buy them now!!

Old March 1st 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marco Tedaldi[_2_]

Pete D wrote:
"SS" wrote in message
I had some pics which were taken at an event in the Grosvenor London, but
they are dark as the flash was too far away. I need some good software to
brighten the shadows, correct the colour and remove the grain -
recommendations please!

Lightroom, Photoshop, in that order.

Go and buy them now!!

But even these Programs can not bring you details back that are not
there in the original images. When the Parts are just "a bit too dark"
than you might get happy. But "black on black" stays "black on black"
even with the most expensive software.
And for gods sake, why always photoshop? Who can really use photoshop
here, and use functions that other (much cheaper software like gimp or
psp) don't have?
If you just want to tweak some curves and set the white-pont you
definitely don't need photoshop, because there is software which does
this at lower price and much more userfriendly!

Marco

--
Dimage A2, Agfa isolette
http://flickr.com/photos/kruemi
Old March 1st 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

"Marco Tedaldi" wrote in message
Pete D wrote:
"SS" wrote in message
[...]

Lovely, what are they called, not helpful if you are not
specific....................................

Old March 2nd 08, 12:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 10:22:55 +1100, "Pete D" wrote:

"Marco Tedaldi" wrote in message
h...
Pete D wrote:
"SS" wrote in message
[...]

Irfanview is free, and with the plug-ins will do what you want
in the above paragraph.
Old March 2nd 08, 04:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marutchi[_2_]

Pete D wrote:
Go and buy them now!!

But even these Programs can not bring you details back that are not
there in the original images. When the Parts are just "a bit too
dark" than you might get happy. But "black on black" stays "black on
black" even with the most expensive software.
And for gods sake, why always photoshop? Who can really use photoshop
here, and use functions that other (much cheaper software like gimp
or psp) don't have?
If you just want to tweak some curves and set the white-pont you
definitely don't need photoshop, because there is software which
does this at lower price and much more userfriendly!

Lovely, what are they called, not helpful if you are not
specific....................................

You mean this isn't in the above "much cheaper software like gimp or
psp) "

Old March 2nd 08, 07:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

SS wrote:
I had some pics which were taken at an event in the Grosvenor London,
but they are dark as the flash was too far away. I need some good
software to brighten the shadows, correct the colour and remove the
grain - recommendations please!

Paint Shop Pro version 10. Includes noise-reduction. But the images are
probably already ruined.

David

Old March 2nd 08, 07:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

"Marutchi" BarbaraH*REMOVE wrote in message
Pete D wrote:
Go and buy them now!!
But even these Programs can not bring you details back that are not
there in the original images. When the Parts are just "a bit too
dark" than you might get happy. But "black on black" stays "black on
black" even with the most expensive software.
And for gods sake, why always photoshop? Who can really use photoshop
here, and use functions that other (much cheaper software like gimp
or psp) don't have?
If you just want to tweak some curves and set the white-pont you
definitely don't need photoshop, because there is software which
does this at lower price and much more userfriendly!

Lovely, what are they called, not helpful if you are not
specific....................................

You mean this isn't in the above "much cheaper software like gimp or
psp) "

Yeah, silly me, should read the whole post, however the OP did say "Really
good software needed to correct dark pics" and I think PS is really good and
the others are not as good so I would be right, right! What do you use
Marutchi? Gimp? Irfanview? PS?

Old March 2nd 08, 08:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marutchi[_2_]

Pete D wrote:
Yeah, silly me, should read the whole post, however the OP did say "Really
good software needed to correct dark pics" and I think PS is
really good and the others are not as good so I would be right,
right!

Aren't you always?

What do you use Marutchi? Gimp? Irfanview? PS?

PSP for the most part, as I am an admitted editing dummy and as Marco said
it's easier to use.
Having said that, lately I occasionally use CS2. I have edited photos in
both PSP and CS2 and to be honest to my perhaps not so discerning eye,
there's very little difference and I generally prefer the PSP edit.

Old March 2nd 08, 08:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

Pete D wrote:
Yeah, silly me, should read the whole post, however the OP did say
"Really good software needed to correct dark pics" and I think PS is
really good and the others are not as good so I would be right,
right!

Aren't you always?

WTF? Holy crap mate I am so sorry that that upsets you, I will try to be
wrong more often. Perhaps you would like to join in on one of the other
threads somewhere in one of the photo groups where we have been discussing
photography, join in any time you like.

What do you use Marutchi? Gimp? Irfanview? PS?

PSP for the most part, as I am an admitted editing dummy and as Marco said
it's easier to use.
Having said that, lately I occasionally use CS2. I have edited photos in
both PSP and CS2 and to be honest to my perhaps not so discerning eye,
there's very little difference and I generally prefer the PSP edit.

So you would therefore recommend these as being "Really
good software needed to correct dark pics" like what the OP wanted? So what
are we discussing here?