Hassy CFE, CFi, CF, C, ...

Old June 7th 04, 06:59 PM
steven

Default Hassy CFE, CFi, CF, C, ...

Hi,
can anybody explain the differences between these (and other?) 500-series
lenses.
I can buy a 250mm sonnar C, but the seller doesn't seem much acquainted with
Hassy equipment.
I'd like to know in particular:
- does it have DOF preview?
- does it have "X" flash sync?
- does it have EV locking?
Anything else I should pay attention to?
(I want to use it with a 503CW)
TIA

Steven

Old June 7th 04, 09:37 PM
Martin Francis

"steven" wrote in message
Hi,
can anybody explain the differences between these (and other?) 500-series
lenses.
I can buy a 250mm sonnar C, but the seller doesn't seem much acquainted

with
Hassy equipment.
I'd like to know in particular:
- does it have DOF preview?

Yes, they all do.

- does it have "X" flash sync?

That too.

- does it have EV locking?

As standard (move & hold a lever to adjust aperture and shutter speeds
individually)

Anything else I should pay attention to?

If it's chrome finish, it's probably a non-T* coated lens. This might result
in low contrast or flare problems in certain light, but it certainly means
you've got a pretty old lens that may wll need servicing. I understand parts
are only available from cannibalising old lenses. If it's black finish with
a B50 filter thread (i.e. the front filter thread is bayonet style and 50mm
across) it's the same as the previous lens but with T* multicoating. It has
the same issues with spares, but will probably at least be a little newer.
If it is neither of the above, then it's a newer lens. Other than parts,
there shouldn't me much quality difference.

It might be worth buying a book on 'Blad for more detailed info on newer
lenses, as i'm pretty new to 'Blad myself.

(I want to use it with a 503CW)

If the lens works, it will work on a 503CW.

no, and yes...."

Old June 8th 04, 07:53 AM
Raoul

Anything else I should pay attention to?

If it's chrome finish, it's probably a non-T* coated lens. This might result
in low contrast or flare problems in certain light,

A thing to remember about C lenses:

These are the lenses Hasselblad made their reputation with. True, later
lenses have improvements but C lenses- in good condition- are nothing
to sneeze at!

but it certainly means
you've got a pretty old lens that may wll need servicing. I understand parts
are only available from cannibalising old lenses.

Not yet. There are still plenty of parts available for C lenses. In
ten years, perhaps, parts will be hard to find but not now.

If it's black finish with
a B50 filter thread (i.e. the front filter thread is bayonet style and 50mm
across) it's the same as the previous lens but with T* multicoating. It has
the same issues with spares, but will probably at least be a little newer.
If it is neither of the above, then it's a newer lens. Other than parts,
there shouldn't me much quality difference.

Again, parts are not of concern yet. Another thing to remember is that
if an older lense is still in prime physical condition (EX or better)
it probably has been amateur used whic means it hasn't had a lot of
usage cycles as compared with a professional used lens. A 30 year old
pro lense is going to be pretty beat up, although it also could be in
great shape because it has been rebuilt frequently.

Jeff