Opinions on Spotmeters

Old June 6th 04, 05:15 PM
Mike Jenkins

Default Opinions on Spotmeters

Hi, I'm looking for a used spotmeter. I'd like some opinions on different
brands. I'm considering Pentax: digital and analog, Minolta spotmeterF,
Gossen, Sekonic and Soligor.
The Soligors seem to be the least expensive. There's usually a reason. Are
the Soligors junk?

I don't want to start a war here. I'd just like some honest opinions to help
me make an informed decision.

As always, Thanks for your help. mj

Old June 6th 04, 05:32 PM
jjs

In article k.net, "Mike
Jenkins" wrote:

Hi, I'm looking for a used spotmeter.
[...]

Just my two-bits worth: used is a bad idea. It's too bad that used
light-meters don't have the same depreciation a lot of other consumer
electronic instruments do so that you could buy them a dime-to-the-dollar,
but new and uninformed buyers keep the prices up.

A new light meter should have a warantee. If a new light meter is going to
fail, it's usually within the first several hours of use and then you can
replace it via warantee. Otherwise, you may be getting a bad one, or a
good one that's well on it's way to MTBF. IMHO it's not worth the
disappointments.

(The bad thing about casual use of new equipment is that 'house of use'
thing; a lot of people don't reach that goal until the warantee is up.
_Use_ the light meter. A lot.)

However, if you accept the risk of a flawed meter, or lower your
expectations, then you may luck out. Your chances are better than the
lottery, but not different.
Old June 6th 04, 10:49 PM
Camera

I used Minolta Spotmeter F for over 12 years. So far so good.

"jjs" ¦b¶l¥ó
¤¤¼¶¼g...

Old June 7th 04, 12:19 AM
jjs

In article , "Camera"
wrote:

I used Minolta Spotmeter F for over 12 years. So far so good.

Anyone who understands the metrics of failure knows that your case is 1)
subjectve (requires tests to discern accuracy) 2) lacks hours of use
metrics and 3) none-the-less is just one sample.
Old June 7th 04, 12:28 AM
Mark A

"Mike Jenkins" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Hi, I'm looking for a used spotmeter. I'd like some opinions on different
brands. I'm considering Pentax: digital and analog, Minolta spotmeterF,
Gossen, Sekonic and Soligor.
The Soligors seem to be the least expensive. There's usually a reason. Are
the Soligors junk?

I don't want to start a war here. I'd just like some honest opinions to

help
me make an informed decision.

As always, Thanks for your help. mj

I have a Soligor spot meter that I have owned for 22 years. Still works
perfectly (with a new battery). I think they cost a little less when new
than the Pentax and they have not been made them for quite a while, which
probably accounts for their lower value today (since the average age is
bound to be higher than a used meter still in production). Richard Ritter
(formally of Zone VI Studios) still repairs them.

Zone VI Studios (Fred Picker) sold slightly modified versions of both the
Pentax and Soligor spot meters, so the Soligors are not junk.

Old June 7th 04, 01:00 AM
Q.G. de Bakker

Mike Jenkins wrote:

Hi, I'm looking for a used spotmeter. I'd like some opinions on different
brands. I'm considering Pentax: digital and analog, Minolta spotmeterF,
Gossen, Sekonic and Soligor.

I use a Gossen Spotmaster (may be called differently in the US).
It is a very accurate, and very complete meter (many modes).
But it is big (but then, which one isn't?) and it consumes batteries (9V
block) by the truck load.

Old June 7th 04, 11:34 AM
John Fryatt

"Mike Jenkins" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Hi, I'm looking for a used spotmeter. I'd like some opinions on different
brands. I'm considering Pentax: digital and analog, Minolta spotmeterF,
Gossen, Sekonic and Soligor.
The Soligors seem to be the least expensive. There's usually a reason. Are
the Soligors junk?

I don't want to start a war here. I'd just like some honest opinions to

help
me make an informed decision.

As always, Thanks for your help. mj

I have a Minolta Spotmeter F, which I am very happy with. It has been
reliable and never failed or given a false reading. The Spotmeter F has
about the right level of features for me.
I did also have a Pentax Digital for a while. This is also very good, and
has the advantage that you can attach a Zone scale to the dial readout. In
the end I decided I preferred the Minolta for it's LCD readout, memory, and
the highlight/shadow features, and it's handling. Not a lot in it though.
I have handled a Gossen Spotmaster, and didn't really like it as it seemed
too complex. The viewfinder seemed filled with displays. Also it is quite
big. Having said that, I only tried it briefly, and you probably get used to
it. My feeling was that it was too 'gadgetty' though.

John

Old June 7th 04, 01:16 PM
dr bob

"jjs" wrote in message
In article , "Camera"
wrote:

I used Minolta Spotmeter F for over 12 years. So far so good.

Anyone who understands the metrics of failure knows that your case is 1)
subjectve (requires tests to discern accuracy) 2) lacks hours of use
metrics and 3) none-the-less is just one sample.

Well, here is one more. I have been using one (Minolta Spotmeter F) for
about 5 years. It is used on an average of one hour per day. Although it
is kept in its case and usually carried in a cloth camera bag (or rigid LF
case) it has not had tender care. I love the single AA-cell power. Mine
lasts about 6 mo. I check for accuracy when installing a new cell.

On the negative side, the flash-meter operation seems to have a mind of its
own - sometimes it requires several attempts to obtain an acceptable result.
Once obtained though, the camera of choice produces good negatives/chroms.

I don't think Soligor meters are junk, but in my experience, in optics, one
usually pays for what one gets, and better optics cost more. But is it
worth the price? Only you can judge that. Also if a used digital meter
works at all, it is probably acceptable for all but the most critical work.
My experience with students has been that most problems arising with the use
of spot meters (any meter for that matter) is due to operator error, usually
brought about by inexperience or poor technique. Both can be solved.

Truly, dr bob.

Old June 7th 04, 02:35 PM
Mark A

[...]

I am not really sure what optics has to do with spot meters. Admittedly
there are some "lenses" in a spotmeter, but the quality required in a meter
is not critical. 30 years ago I frequently used a Soligor telephoto lenses
on my Canon 35mm body and the quality of lens was fine. Maybe not as good a
Canon lens, but close enough. Certainly good enough for spot meter.

Old June 7th 04, 05:39 PM
hmmph

"Mike Jenkins" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Hi, I'm looking for a used spotmeter. I'd like some opinions on

different
brands. I'm considering Pentax: digital and analog, Minolta spotmeterF,
Gossen, Sekonic and Soligor.
The Soligors seem to be the least expensive. There's usually a reason.

Are
the Soligors junk?

I have both the Soligor and a Pentax analogue. They both have their high
points, and their own quirks. Neither is junk. I have found from years of
field shooting, that a good incident meter, and good overall sense of the
light on the subject have replaced minutes of pointing a spot meter around,
trying to determine n-1 n-2 etc.

Believe it or not, the sunny 16 rule, plus a few modifications for overall
shadows to highlights will still work 95% of the time. That is if your
lenses and shutters all work properly, or if you have adjusted fo any
discrepencies in them.

good luck....