Automatic ISO versus Manual Setting

Old February 26th 08, 01:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

Default [OT] Automatic ISO versus Manual Setting

HEMI - Powered wrote:

edited for brevity

Although Detroit sits on top of a gigantic salt mine, road salt
isn't salt anymore and hasn't been for many years. But, in the
1950s and 1960s before the car makers got wise to rust and
corrosion caused by salt and just by water that gets into nooks
and crannies of the body and frame but doesn't properly drain,
yes, cars did rust out very quickly. About the only cars on the
road that I see with significant rust on them are REALLY old
American cars, say prior to 1980, and Japanese cars from the late
1980s/early 1990s when they had rust problems, too.

Hello, Jerry:

Man, speaking of Japanese jalopies...I remember a tiny 1972, white
Datsun, which my father was driving for a while, circa 1977, before
selling it. (He was a used car salesman, at the time.) It was so
old, the company hadn't changed its name to "Nissan," yet! ;-)

Anyhow, this thing was horribly rusted, to the point that one
could practically see right through it. Both of the doors, rocker
panels, front fenders (even on top, next to the hood) were all
eyesores, as a result.

edited

We depend a lot on snow plowing here for secondary roads,
subdivision streets, parking lots and the like, but the non-
corrosive, non-toxic road "salt" is used extensively as soon as
the snow starts falling. We Michiganders have long had to live
with an unusual phenomenon: most drivers "forget" somehow that it
does snow in Michigan, it does get icy, and it sometimes rains
torentially, yet they drive as if it were dry. Especially
dangerous are SUV and 4x4 truck drivers who think they are immune
but don't realize that AWD or 4WD only gets them moving, it
doesn't help in stopping beyond what ABS can do and it doesn't
help steering. So, at times, it is a challenge around here.

Well, it's also occasionally snowed, here in Nebraska (and several
other parts of world, too, for that matter). g

Seriously, my family once lived in Detroit, before returning to
Omaha (my oldest brother was born in the "Motor City," in fact).
This was during the WWII era and before I existed, though.

Incidentally, I know you're an automobile afficianado, and may
be interested to learn that my dad and uncle were mechanics
and used to build race cars, back then. They were both inducted
(posthumously) into the Nebraska Racing Hall Of Fame, in 2004.

Cordially,
John Turco
Old February 26th 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
HEMI - Powered[_2_]

John Turco added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...

Well, it's also occasionally snowed, here in Nebraska (and
several other parts of world, too, for that matter). g

I'm been through Nebraska, and visited Omaha, but only in summer.
But, looking where it is on a map of the Great Plains, I can
believe that snow does occur. My particular part of Michigan
really isn't that bad. I'm far enough from Lake St. Clair and
well distant from any of the Great Lakes that we don't suffer
from so-called "lake effects snows". So, while it snows, it isn't
usually a lot, while it gets cold, it doesn't get truly frigid,
when it rains, it it seldom torrential, and when it gets hot and
humid, it is seldom oppressive (at least not for long). We do
have a tornado risk but compared to so many areas of our country,
weather-related problems are comparitively benign for me in SE
Michigan. BTW, I live in a NNW suburb of Detroit, Troy, about 11
miles north of the southern border of Detroit and about 19 miles
north of the Detroit River.

Seriously, my family once lived in Detroit, before returning
to Omaha (my oldest brother was born in the "Motor City," in
fact). This was during the WWII era and before I existed,
though.

Incidentally, I know you're an automobile afficianado, and may
be interested to learn that my dad and uncle were mechanics
and used to build race cars, back then. They were both
inducted (posthumously) into the Nebraska Racing Hall Of Fame,
in 2004.

Yes, I am a car fan in a fairly broad sense, and yes, it is
interesting that your family has a rich racing heritage. You
should be very proud of them, especially in their induction into
the Hall of Fame. There are so many kinds of racing, most of
which I do not at all follow, could you tell me the kind(s) they
participated in?

Thanks again for the great discussions and have a good week!

Cordially,
John Turco

--
HP, aka Jerry

"Surely you jest - and don't call me Shirley!" - from the movie
"Airplane!"
Old February 26th 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
romphotog via PhotoKB.com

Default Automatic ISO versus Manual Setting

In general, is one better off with automatic ISO, or manual at 100 while
watching out for slow shutter speeds?

no such thing as "in general" in photography.
I mostly leave at ISO100 in bright sun light. In the dark, if shutter speed
is too slow (below 1/125) then I increase ISO. I mostly in/decrase EV,
instead of ISO.
Also, if you get 1/2000, then you might as well reduce ISO to 50 to go down
to 1/000, and your photos will have less noise. I dont like to go above
1/500 either, thus I in/decrease aperture.

Old February 29th 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

HEMI - Powered wrote:

[...]

I still have a few relatives (on my father's side of the family)
who live in the Oakland suburb of Detroit. Some of them attended
the Nebraska Racing HOF induction ceremony, in October of '04.

Seriously, my family once lived in Detroit, before returning
to Omaha (my oldest brother was born in the "Motor City," in
fact). This was during the WWII era and before I existed,
though.

Incidentally, I know you're an automobile afficianado, and may
be interested to learn that my dad and uncle were mechanics
and used to build race cars, back then. They were both
inducted (posthumously) into the Nebraska Racing Hall Of Fame,
in 2004.

Yes, I am a car fan in a fairly broad sense, and yes, it is
interesting that your family has a rich racing heritage. You
should be very proud of them, especially in their induction into
the Hall of Fame. There are so many kinds of racing, most of
which I do not at all follow, could you tell me the kind(s) they
participated in?

Here are a couple of excerpts, from an Omaha World-Herald newspaper
clipping that I'd scanned, a number of years ago. The date of the
article is unknown, but, it must've been written in the 1930's.

"Tycoons of Omaha's race car industry are Louis and Joe Turco, who
assemble both midget and big car racers in the garage of their home
at 504 Pierce street."

"The brothers have been building racers here since 1928, after
spending two years as race car builders for the Dreyer company in
Indianapolis. Louis specializes in midget cars, has built, assembled
or worked on some of the fastest on the midwest circuit. Joe handles
the big car racers the brothers now own, returned last week from
Detroit and vicinity."

Joe was my dad and Louis, my uncle, by the way.

Thanks again for the great discussions and have a good week!

Thanks, and same to you!

Cordially,
John Turco
Old February 29th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
HEMI - Powered[_2_]

[...]

Small world sometimes, huh, John?! Yes, Troy is in Oakland
County. We are blessed (??) with being about the 4th or 5th
wealthiest county in the U.S. which means that cars, homes, and
other things I take for granted seeing everyday aren't at all
representative to other parts of the country. Even parts of Wayne
County which Detroit is in is fairly upscale these days as is
Washtenaw County to the west and Macomb County to the east.

[...]

Hey, this is really neat John! Again, you must be very proud of
your family. Since meeting you, I've learned so much on a variety
of subjects that I must thank you again. If you ever want to take
our discussions off-line, perhaps we can trade E-mails sometime.

Since we've been talking about snow of late, a couple days ago we
got about 3", a moderate amount for Michigan this time of year -
we've gotten as much as a foot in rare years, and it is snowing
again right now, looks like an inch or two has already fallen. I
won't be driving my 2007 HEMI Charger today, too slippy-slidy,
we'll be driving my wife's 2008 Jeep Liberty 4x4.

Have a good one!

Old March 2nd 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

HEMI - Powered wrote:

edited for brevity

Since we've been talking about snow of late, a couple days ago we
got about 3", a moderate amount for Michigan this time of year -
we've gotten as much as a foot in rare years, and it is snowing
again right now, looks like an inch or two has already fallen. I
won't be driving my 2007 HEMI Charger today, too slippy-slidy,
we'll be driving my wife's 2008 Jeep Liberty 4x4.

Have a good one!

Hello, Jerry:

It's been pretty warm, here in Omaha, these past couple of days,
with high temperatures reaching into the 50's (F). Thus, most of
our snow and ice has melted away.

Don't need no steenkin' 4-wheelers, therefore! :-P

Cordially,
John Turco
Old March 2nd 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
HEMI - Powered[_2_]

John Turco added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...

Since we've been talking about snow of late, a couple days
ago we got about 3", a moderate amount for Michigan this time
of year - we've gotten as much as a foot in rare years, and
it is snowing again right now, looks like an inch or two has
already fallen. I won't be driving my 2007 HEMI Charger
today, too slippy-slidy, we'll be driving my wife's 2008 Jeep
Liberty 4x4.

Hello, Jerry:

It's been pretty warm, here in Omaha, these past couple of
days, with high temperatures reaching into the 50's (F). Thus,
most of our snow and ice has melted away.

Don't need no steenkin' 4-wheelers, therefore! :-P

It's 35 and sunny today, John. I look forward to your temps maybe
in a month or so. Got a friend in Cincinnati that says it'll be 61
today, so he doesn't need a 4x4 either! grin Enjoy your Sunday.

Old March 4th 08, 05:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

HEMI - Powered wrote:

[...]

I sent my previous message, yesterday morning (Sunday, 3-2-08).
Then, in the late afternoon, we were hit with some wet snow!

Luckily, not much of it piled up. It's quite a bit colder,
today, though.

That's Nebraska's lousy, highly volatile weather, for ya! g

Cordially,
John Turco