Really good software needed to correct dark pics

Old March 2nd 08, 08:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marco Tedaldi[_2_]

Default Really good software needed to correct dark pics

Pete D wrote:
"Marutchi" BarbaraH*REMOVE wrote in message
Pete D wrote:
Lovely, what are they called, not helpful if you are not
specific....................................

You mean this isn't in the above "much cheaper software like gimp or
psp) "

Yeah, silly me, should read the whole post, however the OP did say "Really
good software needed to correct dark pics" and I think PS is really good and
the others are not as good so I would be right, right! What do you use
Marutchi? Gimp? Irfanview? PS?

You are right. PS is a very good software. Only think about it twice to
suggest PS to someone inexperienced. It's not easy to work with PS and
get used to it. And the questioner implies for me that he is not
experienced in this field!
PS is userfriendly, but it's a bit picky about who it's friends are.

And even good software does not have to be the pest shot for every
situation! For removing noise some suggest PS, other noise ninja. And to
just adjust some curves PS is definitely overkill (not only becuase of
the cost)

Oh yes... I'm using gimp (and several other tools like imagemagick for
batch conversions). One reason is, that I like to spend my money an
photo equipment instead of software. The other is that I would have to
buy a commercial wine-version to run PS under linux.

It's always the question what is the right tool for the situation and
the task you have. It does not make sense to use a 400hp tractor to to
make your 20m^2 backyard.

Marco

--
Dimage A2, Agfa isolette
http://flickr.com/photos/kruemi
Old March 2nd 08, 09:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marutchi[_2_]

Pete D wrote:

WTF? Holy crap mate I am so sorry that that upsets you, I will try
to be wrong more often.

I'm sure you wont have to try too hard.

Perhaps you would like to join in on one of
the other threads somewhere in one of the photo groups where we have
been discussing photography, join in any time you like.

Oh gee, thanks for the invite, that's mighty big of you.

So you would therefore recommend these as being "Really
good software needed to correct dark pics" like what the OP wanted?
So what are we discussing here?

All of which has nothing to do with the fact you didn't properly read
Marco's post, so jumped in and said he wasn't helpful or specific.

Old March 2nd 08, 09:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

Pete D wrote:

WTF? Holy crap mate I am so sorry that that upsets you, I will try
to be wrong more often.

I'm sure you wont have to try too hard.

Perhaps you would like to join in on one of
the other threads somewhere in one of the photo groups where we have
been discussing photography, join in any time you like.

Oh gee, thanks for the invite, that's mighty big of you.

So you would therefore recommend these as being "Really
good software needed to correct dark pics" like what the OP wanted?
So what are we discussing here?

All of which has nothing to do with the fact you didn't properly read
Marco's post, so jumped in and said he wasn't helpful or specific.

Marco has actually posted about it and he was fine with it.

You did dive bomb me a bit, anyway how are you? Doing lots of shooting?
Still using the 20D?

Cheers.

Pete

Old March 2nd 08, 09:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marutchi[_2_]

You did dive bomb me a bit, anyway how are you?

In fine form.

Doing lots of shooting? Still using the 20D?

Yes and yes, on the odd occasion.

Old March 2nd 08, 09:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

"Marutchi" BarbaraH*REMOVE wrote in message

You did dive bomb me a bit, anyway how are you?

In fine form.

Doing lots of shooting? Still using the 20D?

Yes and yes, on the odd occasion.

Does this mean you have a 30 or 40D? They look pretty good.

I looked at one of your shots in photo.original group today and posted a
comment but I only have access to binary groups through a free account that
takes days to get posts through so you may not see it for a while, do you
have other shots of the beehive flower, like from the side, most unusual.

Old March 2nd 08, 11:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marutchi[_2_]

Pete D wrote:

Does this mean you have a 30 or 40D? They look pretty good.

Yes, thank you.

I looked at one of your shots in photo.original group today and
posted a comment but I only have access to binary groups through a
free account that takes days to get posts through so you may not see
it for a while, do you have other shots of the beehive flower, like
from the side, most unusual.

Beehive Ginger flower? Yes as a matter of fact there is a side on shot, both
on apbo and my Flickr site.

Old March 2nd 08, 11:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

Pete D wrote:

Does this mean you have a 30 or 40D? They look pretty good.

Yes, thank you.

I looked at one of your shots in photo.original group today and
posted a comment but I only have access to binary groups through a
free account that takes days to get posts through so you may not see
it for a while, do you have other shots of the beehive flower, like
from the side, most unusual.

Beehive Ginger flower? Yes as a matter of fact there is a side on shot,
both on apbo and my Flickr site.

Thanks, took a bit to track it down from a week ago but very striking, did
you use a softbox for the shot?

Old March 2nd 08, 11:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Toby[_3_]

Shadow Illuminator Pro from (IIRC) Intrigue Technologies (PS plugin) is by
far the best thing I have come across for getting the best out of
underexposed photos, at least in most cases. The Shadow/Highlight adjustment
in Photoshop reduces contrast greatly; apparently the algorithms in the
plugin quite cleverly increase contrast in the processed areas, giving a
much more natural look. It is really pretty amazing.

OTOH there is no free lunch--you will find the noise in the recovered
shadows to be painfully increased, and this is not something that you can
get rid of with a noise-reducing plugin without completely losing your fine
detail.

Toby

"Pete D" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

"SS" wrote in message
I had some pics which were taken at an event in the Grosvenor London, but
they are dark as the flash was too far away. I need some good software to
brighten the shadows, correct the colour and remove the grain -
recommendations please!

Lightroom, Photoshop, in that order.

Go and buy them now!!

Old March 2nd 08, 11:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marutchi[_2_]

Pete D wrote:

Thanks, took a bit to track it down from a week ago but very
striking, did you use a softbox for the shot?

Heh, that would imply that I had some sort of technical knowledge, which of
course I do not.
I simply placed the flower on a white plastic table out in the sun.

Old March 3rd 08, 07:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

Pete D wrote:

Thanks, took a bit to track it down from a week ago but very
striking, did you use a softbox for the shot?

Heh, that would imply that I had some sort of technical knowledge, which
of course I do not.
I simply placed the flower on a white plastic table out in the sun.

Thats one large light box. ;-)