Advice please: DSLR or DSLR-style?

Old October 20th 04, 09:01 AM
JB

Default Advice please: DSLR or DSLR-style?

I am looking to get a digicam with decent optical zoom for my wife's
combined birthday/xmas pressie and was looking at either Olympus C765-Z or
maybe if I can find the extra cash, possibly a Canon EOS300D or similar. Are
there any new models coming out soon in this area which may lead to bargains
on either of these cameras?
Any advice or links much appreciated.
cheers,
JB

Old October 20th 04, 12:52 PM
Siddhartha Jain

JB wrote:
I am looking to get a digicam with decent optical zoom for my wife's
combined birthday/xmas pressie and was looking at either Olympus

C765-Z or
maybe if I can find the extra cash, possibly a Canon EOS300D or

similar. Are
there any new models coming out soon in this area which may lead to

bargains
on either of these cameras?
Any advice or links much appreciated.

I have an Olympus C-750. The 10x zoom is mostly useless without
stabilization or tripod. If your budget and inclinations permit it then
buy the Canon 300D or go for the Panasonic FZ-20 that has image
stabilization lenses.

If you are just looking for a good P&S and don't need the extra zoom
then look at Canon A80/A95. Very good value for money.
Cheers,

Siddhartha

Old October 20th 04, 01:21 PM
dj_nme

Siddhartha Jain wrote:
JB wrote:

[...]

I use a Minolta Dimage 7i and am quite satisfied with it.
The Dimage A1 (5mp) or A2 (8mp) would seem like an even better deal,
with a 7x zoom and image stabilization.
Neither are DSLRs, but have fairly good EVF and a 4x magnified mode for
manual focusing (if you want to).

Old October 20th 04, 03:01 PM
cc0112453

You are looking at two completely different cameras. It would depend on how
much your wife is into photography. If she were planning on doing "serious"
photographic work and is going to be taking classes or already has
experience as a photographer then a more professional camera such as the
EOS300D might be appropriate. She may not need that much camera. Consider
also that it is a large piece of equipment and that if you aren't a
dedicated photographer, the size of it is going to get old real soon. If on
the other hand she just likes to take decent pictures, not sweat the details
so much and wants a decent zoom the Olympus 765-Z is a great choice. One
other thing to consider if a huge zoom isn't a factor is one of the smaller
cameras that are out there such as the Canon S70 (4x optical)or one of the
smaller Olympus models. If you aren't doing studio work (and even if you
are) they take excellent pictures. Nice thing about the smaller cameras is
that you actually remember to take them with you.

Old October 20th 04, 03:03 PM
GT40

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:01:38 +0100, "JB" wrote:

I am looking to get a digicam with decent optical zoom for my wife's
combined birthday/xmas pressie and was looking at either Olympus C765-Z or
maybe if I can find the extra cash, possibly a Canon EOS300D or similar. Are
there any new models coming out soon in this area which may lead to bargains
on either of these cameras?

Nothing has been annouced on the low end of the Canon lineup, as they
are just about to release the 1DsMark2
Old October 20th 04, 05:57 PM
Ron Recer

From: "cc0112453"
Date: 10/20/2004 9:01 AM Central Standard Time

I agree with Doug and in addition, keep in mind that the DSLRs require more
maintenance (sensor cleaning) and are heavier than point & shoot cameras.
Also, if you take advantage of the DSLRs features, such as RAW, it will take
more post processing than using jpeg.

Ron

Old October 20th 04, 05:57 PM
Ron Recer