bluring a messy background?

Old June 10th 09, 04:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Default bluring a messy background?

John Navas wrote:
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 06:46:48 -0800, (Floyd L. Davidson)
wrote in :

John Navas wrote:
On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 23:01:18 -0800,
(Floyd L. Davidson)
wrote in :

John Navas wrote:
On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 18:09:28 -0800,
(Floyd L. Davidson)
wrote in :

Dave Cohen wrote:
I don't use PhotoShop, but the method is rather
generic.
Keep the term *generic* in mind. This is not, was it was
explicitly stated, a PhotoShop method, nor specific to any
particular editor.
The OP asked for a method in Photoshop Elements.
This will blow you mind John, but the OP is not the only person
who will read what was in that article. Likewise the OP may not
always be using that same software.
Not to worry -- my mind still seems to be pretty much the same (for
better or for worse). I personally think it's not terribly helpful to
suggest a solution that's not responsive to the original question, but
then I'm guessing you weren't paying all that much attention to the
original question ... hmmm?

"Stay on target, Luke, stay on target!"

Did you by any chance notice that my article actually was
useful, and the video you recommended was not?

Once again we'll have to agree to disagree. [gasp!]
What I actually posted was a number of different responsive solutions.

It may be helpful, John, to know that Floyd has never been wrong in the
photo NGs....

--
john mcwilliams
Old June 10th 09, 04:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_4_]

On 2009-06-10 08:13:08 -0700, C J Campbell

On 2009-06-09 07:26:08 -0700, Brian said:

I took a photo of someone in a shop and the background is distracting.
I tried to use the blur tool to blur the messy background but this did
not look right. Is there a better way of buring a background so a
person stand out and the background is not distracting to the viewer?

I am using Adobe photoshop elements 7.

Regards Brian

Create a new layer and use Gaussian blur to blur the entire picture to
what you want. Then use the History brush to paint back the portions
you want sharp.

Actually CJ, that seems to be a pretty simple & elegant solution which
should work for the OP and his copy of Elements.

Savageduck

Old June 10th 09, 05:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_4_]

On 2009-06-10 08:13:08 -0700, C J Campbell

On 2009-06-09 07:26:08 -0700, Brian said:

I took a photo of someone in a shop and the background is distracting.
I tried to use the blur tool to blur the messy background but this did
not look right. Is there a better way of buring a background so a
person stand out and the background is not distracting to the viewer?

I am using Adobe photoshop elements 7.

Regards Brian

Create a new layer and use Gaussian blur to blur the entire picture to
what you want. Then use the History brush to paint back the portions
you want sharp.

I just tried that technique, and as a quick fix it does a pretty good
job and is very easy. Certainly other work might need to be done on the
final product, but the effect is simple to implement.

Here is your technique used on the snapshot I had done a quick fix on
earlier. It could do with some other work, but it demonstrates the
effect.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Jeni_0290a3w.jpg

Savageduck

Old June 10th 09, 05:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_4_]

On 2009-06-10 09:17:40 -0700, John Navas said:

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 08:58:45 -0700, Savageduck
wrote in
2009061008584599374-savageduck@REMOVESPAMmecom:

On 2009-06-10 08:13:08 -0700, C J Campbell

On 2009-06-09 07:26:08 -0700, Brian said:

I took a photo of someone in a shop and the background is distracting.
I tried to use the blur tool to blur the messy background but this did
not look right. Is there a better way of buring a background so a
person stand out and the background is not distracting to the viewer?

I am using Adobe photoshop elements 7.

Create a new layer and use Gaussian blur to blur the entire picture to
what you want. Then use the History brush to paint back the portions
you want sharp.

Actually CJ, that seems to be a pretty simple & elegant solution which
should work for the OP and his copy of Elements.

There is no History Brush in Elements, only in full Photoshop.
Work-around:
http://www.adobetutorialz.com/articles/336/1/How-can-I-simulate-Photoshop%92s-History-brush-when-using-Elements%3F

Oops!

I haven't used Elements for years.

Savageduck

Old June 11th 09, 02:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Brian[_9_]

Bob Larter wrote:

Brian wrote:
I took a photo of someone in a shop and the background is distracting.
I tried to use the blur tool to blur the messy background but this did
not look right. Is there a better way of buring a background so a
person stand out and the background is not distracting to the viewer?

I am using Adobe photoshop elements 7.

Better to use a wide open lens in the first place.

This does not always work if the background is close to the subject.
Photographing someone in a shop standing in front of items for sale
can be a problem and on some camera's there is a limit on how wide
open the lens can be. That's why I depend on photo editing programs.

Regards Brian
Old June 11th 09, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Brian[_9_]

Bob Larter wrote:

John Navas wrote:
On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 07:46:06 -0700, Jürgen Exner
wrote in :

Brian wrote:
I took a photo of someone in a shop and the background is distracting.
I tried to use the blur tool to blur the messy background but this did
not look right. Is there a better way of buring a background so a
person stand out and the background is not distracting to the viewer?
Suggestion for next time: use a lens with a large apperture wide open,
thus creating a very shallow DOF.

Gee, that's really helpful.

It'll give dramatically better results than trying to do it in PS.

But only if it's possible. If the person is standing in front of an
object there is very little dept of field between the two objects.

Regards Brian
Old June 11th 09, 02:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Brian[_9_]

On 2009-06-09 07:26:08 -0700, Brian said:

I took a photo of someone in a shop and the background is distracting.
I tried to use the blur tool to blur the messy background but this did
not look right. Is there a better way of buring a background so a
person stand out and the background is not distracting to the viewer?

I am using Adobe photoshop elements 7.

Regards Brian

Create a new layer and use Gaussian blur to blur the entire picture to
what you want. Then use the History brush to paint back the portions
you want sharp.

Thanks Campbell tht seems like a simple solution.

Regards Brian
Old June 11th 09, 02:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Brian[_9_]

On 2009-06-10 08:13:08 -0700, C J Campbell

On 2009-06-09 07:26:08 -0700, Brian said:

[...]

The effect in the photo looks good. My background is closer to th
person so I'm hoping that burring the background will still look
natural. It seems to work for closeup's of flowers.
Old June 11th 09, 04:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

Brian wrote:

wrote in :

Brian wrote:
I took a photo of someone in a shop and the background is distracting.
I tried to use the blur tool to blur the messy background but this did
not look right. Is there a better way of buring a background so a
person stand out and the background is not distracting to the viewer?
Suggestion for next time: use a lens with a large apperture wide open,
thus creating a very shallow DOF.

It'll give dramatically better results than trying to do it in PS.

But only if it's possible. If the person is standing in front of an
object there is very little dept of field between the two objects.

Well, yes and no. With an f/1.4 or similar you have such a shallow DOF
that you need to be careful to have both, nose and ears in focus.
But of course you are right, that's not always possible, in particular
it requires you have such a lens on hand when you need it. :-)

jue