New photo printer

Old December 31st 07, 12:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Andrew Haley

Default New photo printer

D.M. Procida wrote:
D.M. Procida wrote:

Is it worth trying to find something that uses pigment-based inks?

Definitely. For permanent colour, pigment is still the only way to
go.

Thanks. Now to find which printers use pigment inks.

Answer: none, unless you go for a very expensive model aimed at the
professional market - I think I'll have to give that a miss.

Epson R800.

Andrew.
Old January 1st 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
m II

Not4wood wrote:

I also don't have room for there Pixma 9000 13"x23" Photo Printer but it
looks like thats the best quality.

The 9000 may be had at a discount now. It appears the new 9500 is
available.

mike
Old January 1st 08, 08:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Not4wood

Thanks Mike, I'll look into it.

I was at the Nikonian site this morning and they were pushing the HP version
of the 13x23 photo quality printer. Looks very nice, but at that price I
will have to pass.

I do have some left over monies from this past Holiday Gifts but not enough
to go that high. LOL HP looks like a very high quality as well, and I've
been looking around there site. Does anybody have any comments on the HP
Photo Printer? Again, I am not interested in an all-in-one joby just a
Photo Quality that I can also use for text documents as well. They also
have way too many choices and I can see any changes in some similar models.

Thanks in advance.

Not4wood

Old January 6th 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Not4wood

Yeah, I finally had a chance to look at it and it looked good but for some
reason I wasn't impressed, and then I ran into the Epson Stylus R1400 and
R1800's and I am stuck drooling over these. Does anybody have them, heard
about them and are there any problems with them??

Thanks in advance.

Not4wood

"Andrew Haley" wrote in message
D.M. Procida wrote:
D.M. Procida wrote:

Is it worth trying to find something that uses pigment-based inks?

Definitely. For permanent colour, pigment is still the only way to
go.

Thanks. Now to find which printers use pigment inks.

Answer: none, unless you go for a very expensive model aimed at the
professional market - I think I'll have to give that a miss.

Did you not find the Epson R800?

Andrew.

Old January 6th 08, 05:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Not4wood

LOL, sorry I left off that because of the price I wasn't impressed. For
that price I could go for the larger printers.

Not4wood

Old January 6th 08, 06:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mac Guy

On 2008-01-06 10:39:01 -0600, "Not4wood" said:

into the Epson Stylus R1400 and
R1800's and I am stuck drooling over these. Does anybody have them, heard
about them and are there any problems with them??

=====

I have the 1400 and it is great. I print 13X19 from my Nikon D200 and
they look great.

Ink is not cheap.... about $18 per for each of the 6 cartridges.

Old January 6th 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Not4wood

I was in Staples earlier and they had the 1400 next to an HP 11X23 for the
exact same price. But the HP only had 2 cartridges, the Tri-Color and the
Black. You had to remove the Black for the Photo Cartridge. Not too good
considering we had done this almost 10-15 years ago on the Photo Quality
Canon printers. The Epson had I believe 6 inks and looked a lot more
sturdy.

Mac Guy, would happen to know what is the maximum paper weight that the 1400
can take? I have the Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl paper and its 290gsm which
is pretty high for a normal standard 8.5X11 Photo Printer. The HP DeskJet I
have as a standby can't take that heavy a paper.

Thanks in advance.
Not4wood

Old January 7th 08, 01:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Andrew Haley

Not4wood wrote:

"Not4wood" wrote in message
> [...]

Yeah, I finally had a chance to look at [ the R800 ] and it looked
good but for some reason I wasn't impressed, and then I ran into
the Epson Stylus R1400 and R1800's and I am stuck drooling over
these. Does anybody have them, heard about them and are there any
problems with them??

LOL, sorry I left off that because of the price I wasn't impressed.
For that price I could go for the larger printers.

Yea, that is true. It all depends on what you need. The R800 is the
smallest in Epson's range of UltraChrome pigment ink printers. It
can't easily be compared with any printer that uses dye-based inks, or
one that uses earler generation pigment inks. This combination of
wide colour gamut and print longevity can't be obtained any more
cheaply, as far as I know.

Andrew.
Old January 8th 08, 12:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
____

In article ,
Andrew Haley wrote:

Not4wood wrote:

"Not4wood" wrote in message

Yeah, I finally had a chance to look at [ the R800 ] and it looked
good but for some reason I wasn't impressed, and then I ran into
the Epson Stylus R1400 and R1800's and I am stuck drooling over
these. Does anybody have them, heard about them and are there any
problems with them??

LOL, sorry I left off that because of the price I wasn't impressed.
For that price I could go for the larger printers.

Yea, that is true. It all depends on what you need. The R800 is the
smallest in Epson's range of UltraChrome pigment ink printers. It
can't easily be compared with any printer that uses dye-based inks, or
one that uses earler generation pigment inks. This combination of
wide colour gamut and print longevity can't be obtained any more
cheaply, as far as I know.

Andrew.

I have the R1800 it was a good printer but I want bigger maybe a 24"
the R1800 drinks ink, plus side is it prints CD & DVD in the tray.

The print quality is better especially yellows when compared to the 1280
I have.

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old January 9th 08, 03:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mac Guy

On 2008-01-06 14:03:15 -0600, "Not4wood" said:

Mac Guy, would happen to know what is the maximum paper weight that the 1400
can take? I have the Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl paper and its 290gsm which
is pretty high for a normal standard 8.5X11 Photo Printer. The HP DeskJet I
have as a standby can't take that heavy a paper.

=====

apparently, Epson does not directly list this spec. I saw some comments
that some paper rated at 260gsm worked.