A Photography forum. PhotoBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PhotoBanter.com forum » Digital Photography » Digital Photography
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Need help in selecting new camera, please



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 26th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jack[_8_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Need help in selecting new camera, please

Based on a recommendation on this newsgroup 3 years ago, I bought a
refurbished Fuji Finepix 2600Z from Geek.com. It has been a great
camera but recently broke beyond repair. That camera was only a 2
megapix but we shot all our pictures at the 1 megapix and were very
satisfied. I see that the state-of-the-art has advanced
significantly. However, I don't anticipate needing anything with the
very large resolution now available. I would expect that we would
shoot all our pictures at 2 megapix or less. We seldom print a
picture. We just view them on the computer. Since we have the
Finepix software for managing our pictures and, also, for the
convenience of using AA batteries(which we already have) we were
thinking about buying another refurbished Fuji of the A500 to A700
series. These cameras are available from $70-$100.

I would appreciate any thoughts about this idea and any
recommendations for other cameras that, in that price range, are
better quality. Thanks for any help.
  #2  
Old September 26th 07, 09:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,057
Default Need help in selecting new camera, please

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:17:58 GMT, Jack wrote:

Based on a recommendation on this newsgroup 3 years ago, I bought a
refurbished Fuji Finepix 2600Z from Geek.com. It has been a great
camera but recently broke beyond repair. That camera was only a 2
megapix but we shot all our pictures at the 1 megapix and were very
satisfied. I see that the state-of-the-art has advanced
significantly. However, I don't anticipate needing anything with the
very large resolution now available.
. . .

Since we have the Finepix software for managing our pictures and, also,
for the convenience of using AA batteries(which we already have) we were
thinking about buying another refurbished Fuji of the A500 to A700
series. These cameras are available from $70-$100.

I would appreciate any thoughts about this idea and any
recommendations for other cameras that, in that price range, are
better quality. Thanks for any help.


Does the camera need to have the same form as the 2600? You might
want to get a more flexible camera that has aperture and shutter
priority shooting modes, and more than the 2600's 3x zoom. Three
years ago I bought Fuji's S5100, which resembles a DSLR, but is much
smaller and lighter, though not as compact as the 2600. It has a
4mp sensor, and that greater resolution can make a great difference,
even if you usually only look at pictures on the computer's screen.
It would allow you to zoom in to try to recognize small faces in the
background, or read distant signs or license plates that would be
hopelessly beyond the capabilities of a 1mp photo. When purchased
new, the S5100 (which also uses AA batteries that can take nearly
1,000 pictures per set) cost only slightly more than $200. The
newer, but also discontinued S5200 (5mp) sold for about the same
price. They both have 10.3x zoom lenses. Either could be a good
buy if you Fuji has any refurbished models for sale, or used from
eBay.

Much smaller are Nikon's Coolpix L11 and L12, both of which use 2
AA batteries. They can produce *very* nice shots, and the L11 can
be found for barely more than $100 new. The L12 is slightly more
expensive and adds optical lens stabilization. Fuji's software
does NOT require the use of Fuji cameras. I have their software
installed, and it pops up and offers to manage my new photos when I
plug a card into the computer's card reader, whether it's from one
of my Fuji, Canon or Nikon cameras.

  #3  
Old September 26th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jack[_8_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Need help in selecting new camera, please

I really appreciate your reply. I would like to ask something about
your last sentence. I connect and download from my present Fuji
camera to my computer through a cable that plugs into the camera and a
USB port. Do the other manufactures(and other Fuji's) have that
facility or do you have to remove the memory card and insert it into a
reader? Thanks for your help.


On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 16:12:37 -0400, ASAAR wrote:

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:17:58 GMT, Jack wrote:

Based on a recommendation on this newsgroup 3 years ago, I bought a
refurbished Fuji Finepix 2600Z from Geek.com. It has been a great
camera but recently broke beyond repair. That camera was only a 2
megapix but we shot all our pictures at the 1 megapix and were very
satisfied. I see that the state-of-the-art has advanced
significantly. However, I don't anticipate needing anything with the
very large resolution now available.
. . .

Since we have the Finepix software for managing our pictures and, also,
for the convenience of using AA batteries(which we already have) we were
thinking about buying another refurbished Fuji of the A500 to A700
series. These cameras are available from $70-$100.

I would appreciate any thoughts about this idea and any
recommendations for other cameras that, in that price range, are
better quality. Thanks for any help.


Does the camera need to have the same form as the 2600? You might
want to get a more flexible camera that has aperture and shutter
priority shooting modes, and more than the 2600's 3x zoom. Three
years ago I bought Fuji's S5100, which resembles a DSLR, but is much
smaller and lighter, though not as compact as the 2600. It has a
4mp sensor, and that greater resolution can make a great difference,
even if you usually only look at pictures on the computer's screen.
It would allow you to zoom in to try to recognize small faces in the
background, or read distant signs or license plates that would be
hopelessly beyond the capabilities of a 1mp photo. When purchased
new, the S5100 (which also uses AA batteries that can take nearly
1,000 pictures per set) cost only slightly more than $200. The
newer, but also discontinued S5200 (5mp) sold for about the same
price. They both have 10.3x zoom lenses. Either could be a good
buy if you Fuji has any refurbished models for sale, or used from
eBay.

Much smaller are Nikon's Coolpix L11 and L12, both of which use 2
AA batteries. They can produce *very* nice shots, and the L11 can
be found for barely more than $100 new. The L12 is slightly more
expensive and adds optical lens stabilization. Fuji's software
does NOT require the use of Fuji cameras. I have their software
installed, and it pops up and offers to manage my new photos when I
plug a card into the computer's card reader, whether it's from one
of my Fuji, Canon or Nikon cameras.


  #4  
Old September 26th 07, 09:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,057
Default Need help in selecting new camera, please

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 20:21:31 GMT, Jack wrote:

I really appreciate your reply. I would like to ask something about
your last sentence. I connect and download from my present Fuji
camera to my computer through a cable that plugs into the camera and a
USB port. Do the other manufactures(and other Fuji's) have that
facility or do you have to remove the memory card and insert it into a
reader? Thanks for your help.


Almost all digital cameras that I'm aware of work the same way
that your 2600z does, where the camera makes the internal card
resemble an external disk drive, and all parts of the card can be
accessed by programs on your computer, such as by file browsers.
Canon's cameras are exceptions, being a little more restrictive on
what can be copied. So if you got another camera, whether it's a
Fuji or one from another manufacturer, you don't need to use a card
reader if you don't want to, and you can still use Fuji's software
to copy, manage and edit your photos.

  #5  
Old September 26th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Daniel Silevitch
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 380
Default Need help in selecting new camera, please

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 16:49:31 -0400, ASAAR wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 20:21:31 GMT, Jack wrote:

I really appreciate your reply. I would like to ask something about
your last sentence. I connect and download from my present Fuji
camera to my computer through a cable that plugs into the camera and a
USB port. Do the other manufactures(and other Fuji's) have that
facility or do you have to remove the memory card and insert it into a
reader? Thanks for your help.


Almost all digital cameras that I'm aware of work the same way
that your 2600z does, where the camera makes the internal card
resemble an external disk drive, and all parts of the card can be
accessed by programs on your computer, such as by file browsers.
Canon's cameras are exceptions, being a little more restrictive on
what can be copied. So if you got another camera, whether it's a
Fuji or one from another manufacturer, you don't need to use a card
reader if you don't want to, and you can still use Fuji's software
to copy, manage and edit your photos.


One thing to add: If you tend to fill up a big card with photos before
downloading them to the computer, a card reader will likely be quite a
bit faster than hooking the camera directly to the computer. If, on the
other hand, you tend to take ten or twenty pictures and then download, a
card reader won't save a signficant amount of time.

-dms
  #6  
Old September 27th 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,057
Default Need help in selecting new camera, please

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 22:40:11 GMT, Daniel Silevitch wrote:

One thing to add: If you tend to fill up a big card with photos before
downloading them to the computer, a card reader will likely be quite a
bit faster than hooking the camera directly to the computer. If, on the
other hand, you tend to take ten or twenty pictures and then download, a
card reader won't save a signficant amount of time.


And another thing to add: If you take lots of pictures and are
using a relatively recent HP computer, consider getting a cheap card
reader, as the built-in readers will probably be horrendously slow.
With my HP, transferring files from the camera takes *much* less
time than using the HP's built-in readers. Nobody has yet commented
as to whether HP's sibling Compaqs have the same problem.

  #7  
Old September 27th 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jack[_8_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Need help in selecting new camera, please

Thanks, Scott. Putting everything else aside, and Fuji was not an
issue, what camera in the $100 + range would you buy? Do you know of
this web site which rates cameras?
http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/digi...0_reviews.html
Also, what do you think of the Canon A460 that they have reviewed?
Many thanks, Jack



On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 13:16:12 -1000, Scott W
wrote:

Jack wrote:
Based on a recommendation on this newsgroup 3 years ago, I bought a
refurbished Fuji Finepix 2600Z from Geek.com. It has been a great
camera but recently broke beyond repair. That camera was only a 2
megapix but we shot all our pictures at the 1 megapix and were very
satisfied. I see that the state-of-the-art has advanced
significantly. However, I don't anticipate needing anything with the
very large resolution now available. I would expect that we would
shoot all our pictures at 2 megapix or less. We seldom print a
picture. We just view them on the computer. Since we have the
Finepix software for managing our pictures and, also, for the
convenience of using AA batteries(which we already have) we were
thinking about buying another refurbished Fuji of the A500 to A700
series. These cameras are available from $70-$100.

I would appreciate any thoughts about this idea and any
recommendations for other cameras that, in that price range, are
better quality. Thanks for any help.


You might want to look here
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_..._a500_pg5.html

I did not find a review of the A700, but here is a bit of data on it
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06091201fujia700.asp

Both camera suffer from really low resolution movie mode, which might
not matter to you. One of the things that I like about a point and shoot
camera is the movie mode, which in many of the current camera is getting
very good.

Other then resolution you also want to look into the shutter lag time, a
slow camera can be a pain to deal with, I know I have had my fair share
of them in the past.

Scott


  #8  
Old September 30th 07, 10:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,429
Default Need help in selecting new camera, please

Jack wrote:

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 13:16:12 -1000, Scott W


edited, for brevity

Other then resolution you also want to look into the shutter lag time, a
slow camera can be a pain to deal with, I know I have had my fair share
of them in the past.

Scott



Thanks, Scott. Putting everything else aside, and Fuji was not an
issue, what camera in the $100 + range would you buy? Do you know of
this web site which rates cameras?
http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/digi...0_reviews.html
Also, what do you think of the Canon A460 that they have reviewed?
Many thanks, Jack



Hello, Jack:

Please, check out Kodak http://www.kodak.com, which offers several
lines of easy-to-use, highly affordable digicams. I own a number of
the company's models, and have always been very pleased with each of
them.

Good luck and happy hunting!


Cordially,
John Turco
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help selecting a camera Jack[_8_] Digital Photography 2 August 14th 07 07:09 PM
Selecting new digital camera Javier Digital Photography 5 November 16th 06 12:34 AM
Problems selecting a new camera Roger Matthews Digital Photography 5 June 18th 06 04:14 AM
Need help selecting budget digital camera... ct Digital Photography 3 February 10th 05 03:30 AM
Selecting Desiccant (Silica Gel) for Camera Case Rita Berkowitz Digital Photography 3 November 21st 04 11:54 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 PhotoBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.