Nikon new release D7100

Old February 22nd 13, 04:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rob

Default Nikon new release D7100

Speaking of the Nikon D7000 it looks like a replacement D7100

The new Nikon D7100 DSLR features a 24.1MP DX-format CMOS sensor and an
EXPEED 3 image processor, which work together to produce high resolution
still imagery and full HD 1080i/p video in multiple frame rates. Movie
recording is also benefitted through the inclusion of both external
microphone and headphone jacks as well as the ability to manual adjust
exposure settings during recording. A notable improvement in image
sharpness and resolution is afforded through the removal of the optical
low-pass filter, and a 51-point autofocus system with 15 cross-type
sensors ensures quick and precise focusing. The large 3.2" 1,229k-dot
LCD monitor allows live view monitoring and image review and the optical
pentaprism viewfinder incorporates an OLED information display and
provides 100% field coverage. The EXPEED 3 image processor also provides
a wealth of speed throughout the camera system and enables a
full-resolution continuous shooting rate of 6fps, a 1.3x DX crop
continuous shooting rate of 7fps and an expandable maximum sensitivity
to ISO 25600. The new Spot White Balance features permits selective
control over custom white balance settings and built-in HDR
automatically composites bracketed frames to produce a single image with
an extended dynamic range. The D7100 is compatible with the WU-1a
Wireless Mobile Adapter to enable wireless connectivity and the ability
to instantly transfer imagery to iOS and Android mobile devices. Housing
all of the imaging technology is a redesigned body that features
magnesium alloy top and rear covers for increased durability and
moisture- and weather-resistance. The D7100 is available as a body only
or in a kit with the AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5l.6G ED VR lens.
Old February 23rd 13, 02:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 15:02:27 +1100, Rob wrote:
: Speaking of the Nikon D7000 it looks like a replacement D7100
:
:
[...]

So.... Is THIS the long-awaited "D300 Replacement"? Or just one more shred of
evidence that Nikon now equates serious photography with full-frame and that a
true D300 replacement is a pipe dream? (As a Canonian, I of course ask this
question only to stir the pot and keep it boiling evenly.) ;^)

BTW, I don't think I'd be happy with the kit lens, if the best it can do at
105mm is f/51.6.

Bob
Old February 28th 13, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Fredrik Jonson[_2_]

Robert Coe wrote:

So.... Is THIS the long-awaited "D300 Replacement"?

No.

"I can assure you that the D7100 is not positioned to replace the
D300s as Nikon's flagship DX-format camera - such is the information
received from Nikon Japan on the matter." // Nikon Europe Support

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/th...-post-50901841
http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/24/ni...lace-the-d300s

--
Fredrik Jonson
Old March 1st 13, 12:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rob

On 1/03/2013 6:52 AM, Fredrik Jonson wrote:
Robert Coe wrote:

So.... Is THIS the long-awaited "D300 Replacement"?

No.

"I can assure you that the D7100 is not positioned to replace the
D300s as Nikon's flagship DX-format camera - such is the information
received from Nikon Japan on the matter." // Nikon Europe Support

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/th...-post-50901841
http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/24/ni...lace-the-d300s

I don't think it ever was a d300 replacement, my understanding, at the
time, the D7000 was a D90 replacement and fits that category.
Old February 23rd 13, 09:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

No AA filter = lots of sampling errors, some visible, some less.
--

Alfred Molon
Old February 23rd 13, 10:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

No AA filter = lots of sampling errors, some visible, some less.

it depends on the subject. take a photo where there's very little
detail, such as a solid colour wall, and there won't be any aliasing.
take a photo of something with a lot of detail and there will be.
Old March 2nd 13, 01:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 2/23/2013 5:08 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

No AA filter = lots of sampling errors, some visible, some less.

it depends on the subject. take a photo where there's very little
detail, such as a solid colour wall, and there won't be any aliasing.
take a photo of something with a lot of detail and there will be.

And your experience using one is?
Or is your comment made based on a survey.

One of my friends, a fashion photographer, uses his D800E. His results
are fantastic. A well respected fine art photographer also uses one, and
she is quite happy with the results. The main reason I did not get one,
is that I didn't nbeed that feature for the type of shooting I do.

--
PeterN
Old March 2nd 13, 02:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

No AA filter = lots of sampling errors, some visible, some less.

it depends on the subject. take a photo where there's very little
detail, such as a solid colour wall, and there won't be any aliasing.
take a photo of something with a lot of detail and there will be.

And your experience using one is?
Or is your comment made based on a survey.

displaying your ignorance again, i see.

it's based on a solid understanding of signal theory and aliasing,
something you apparently lack and something that affects *all* digital
cameras. if there's detail beyond nyquist and no antialias filter to
bandlimit it, there *will* be aliasing, guaranteed.

One of my friends, a fashion photographer, uses his D800E. His results
are fantastic. A well respected fine art photographer also uses one, and
she is quite happy with the results. The main reason I did not get one,
is that I didn't nbeed that feature for the type of shooting I do.

that's nice.

being happy with the results has absolutely nothing to do with whether
or not there is aliasing.
Old March 2nd 13, 03:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 21:35:26 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , PeterN
wrote:

No AA filter = lots of sampling errors, some visible, some less.

it depends on the subject. take a photo where there's very little
detail, such as a solid colour wall, and there won't be any aliasing.
take a photo of something with a lot of detail and there will be.

And your experience using one is?
Or is your comment made based on a survey.

displaying your ignorance again, i see.

it's based on a solid understanding of signal theory and aliasing,
something you apparently lack and something that affects *all* digital
cameras. if there's detail beyond nyquist and no antialias filter to
bandlimit it, there *will* be aliasing, guaranteed.

It's not quite that simple. If you wade through all of
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...solution.shtml you will
eventually reach the conclusion:

"Conclusions

So, do sensors outresolve lenses? It depends on the lens you use,
the properties of the light, the aperture and the format. Small
format sensors may have surpassed the limit, this is, in most cases
they are lens-limited in terms of resolution. It is easier to
correct aberrations for a smaller light circle though, so you can
approach diffraction-limited resolutions for lower f-numbers. The
signal-to-noise ratio, however, imposes an inflexible limit to the
effective resolution of the whole system, mostly due to photon shot
noise.

Sensors for larger formats are approaching the diffraction limit of
real lenses, and it is more difficult to get high levels of
aberration suppression for them. The point is that you cannot fully
exploit the resolution potential of high-resolution sensors with
regular mass-produced lenses, particularly for larger formats.

You cannot compare the limits of two different photographic systems
looking at a print because the variables that determine the
subjective perception come into play. Different systems can provide
comparable results on paper under certain conditions (the circle of
confusion reasoning explains how that is possible), but the limit
of a system must be evaluated considering the pixel as the minimum
circle of confusion.."

Old March 2nd 13, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 3/1/2013 9:35 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

No AA filter = lots of sampling errors, some visible, some less.

it depends on the subject. take a photo where there's very little
detail, such as a solid colour wall, and there won't be any aliasing.
take a photo of something with a lot of detail and there will be.

And your experience using one is?
Or is your comment made based on a survey.

displaying your ignorance again, i see.

Yes I am totally ignorant of the factual basis for your statement.
All I know is what works and what doesn't. Your past history gives us
little reason to accept your conclusion, without proof. This is
especially true since you appear never to have used the cameras under
discussion.

it's based on a solid understanding of signal theory and aliasing,
something you apparently lack and something that affects *all* digital
cameras. if there's detail beyond nyquist and no antialias filter to
bandlimit it, there *will* be aliasing, guaranteed.

One of my friends, a fashion photographer, uses his D800E. His results
are fantastic. A well respected fine art photographer also uses one, and
she is quite happy with the results. The main reason I did not get one,
is that I didn't nbeed that feature for the type of shooting I do.

that's nice.

being happy with the results has absolutely nothing to do with whether
or not there is aliasing.

For the individuals I mentioned being happy means they are well paid.
Any any faults you claim to exist are well within the bounds of high
standard commercial acceptability. Just as circles of confusion can be
commercially acceptable.

BTW I suspect that you are not aware that for high fashion the results
from Apple monitors and unacceptable, because they do not accurately
produce the necessary gradations in the shadows. For that work people
use other monitors such as high end NEC, LaCie, at the lower end and
Eizo, at the upper end.

--
PeterN