Lost Digi Images - CF Card

Old March 6th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Lost Digi Images - CF Card

Hi All
Yesterday whilst shooting a motorsport event my wife got a message on the
D70 to say the couldn't camera could not display the file! First time the
camera has done this - and I realise it may well be the card - BUT - what
software can I use to recover the shots.
All ideas welcome, please - cheapest to best - or are they one and the same?
Many thanks
O.N.

Old March 6th 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

If you're using a PC (as opposed to a Mac) to try and access the files you
could always go into MY COMPUTER then right click on whatever drive letter
that's been assigned to your card reader - choose PROPERTIES - click on the
TOOLS tab - choose CHECK FOR ERRORS - and follow your nose from there.

If if say "this device isn't formatted - would you like to format now?" -
make sure you click NO.

There are other utilities around (and services offered).

Cheers,

Colin

Old March 7th 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

I have seen some reviews in some of the foto mags for software that
specifically repairs/restores images for hese cards. They can even
recover "deleted" files.

I have not used one, so I can not say which is best, but a Google
search with the following 5 terms....recover image files camera
card..... brings up several examples.

Old March 7th 06, 10:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Ono Notim wrote:

Hi All
Yesterday whilst shooting a motorsport event my wife got a message on the
D70 to say the couldn't camera could not display the file! First time the
camera has done this - and I realise it may well be the card - BUT - what
software can I use to recover the shots.
All ideas welcome, please - cheapest to best - or are they one and the same?
Many thanks
O.N.

Google for 'PC Inspector' - free file recovery software. Works well, I
have used it several times on hard drives as well as flash cards.
You'll need a card reader though.

Colin D.
Old March 7th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Thanks for your help everyone - I'm "Googling"!
Here's hoping... Certainly time for a backup card!
Thanks again
O.N.

Old March 7th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Colin D" wrote in message

Ono Notim wrote:

Hi All
Yesterday whilst shooting a motorsport event my wife got a message on the
D70 to say the couldn't camera could not display the file! First time the
camera has done this - and I realise it may well be the card - BUT - what
software can I use to recover the shots.
All ideas welcome, please - cheapest to best - or are they one and the
same?
Many thanks
O.N.

Google for 'PC Inspector' - free file recovery software. Works well, I
have used it several times on hard drives as well as flash cards.
You'll need a card reader though.

Colin D.

Colin is right I am doing this now for my mum who formatted her card before
saving her pictures to hard drive..

whoops!!

still thanks to PC Inspector smart recovery (convar) I am recovered them!!
although a couple were corrupt

Loopy

Old March 8th 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Ono Notim" wrote in message
Hi All
Yesterday whilst shooting a motorsport event my wife got a message on the
D70 to say the couldn't camera could not display the file! First time the
camera has done this - and I realise it may well be the card - BUT - what
software can I use to recover the shots.
All ideas welcome, please - cheapest to best - or are they one and the
same?
Many thanks
O.N.

Were you able to download them to the computer? Just because your camera
says "error", doesn't necessarily mean the photos are not downloadable to
the computer, you have to verify this first.

If not, the photoresque is an app I've heard of to recover the lost images.

Also, pull out the battery of the camera, put it back in and reboot to see
if the problem continues on another card.

Patrick

Old March 8th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Ono Notim wrote:
Hi All
Yesterday whilst shooting a motorsport event my wife got a message on the
D70 to say the couldn't camera could not display the file! First time the
camera has done this - and I realise it may well be the card - BUT - what
software can I use to recover the shots.
All ideas welcome, please - cheapest to best - or are they one and the same?
Many thanks
O.N.

I've had good results with PhotoRescue on a couple of occasions. You
can try it out for free and see if it can recover the images and only
buy the app (US$29) if the results look like they are worth it.

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/purchase.htm
Old March 22nd 06, 12:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Patrick L" wrote in message

Were you able to download them to the computer? Just because your camera
says "error", doesn't necessarily mean the photos are not downloadable to
the computer, you have to verify this first.

If not, the photoresque is an app I've heard of to recover the lost
images.

Also, pull out the battery of the camera, put it back in and reboot to see
if the problem continues on another card.

I have been having this problem too. I own both a 1 gig and a 2 gig card
and it is happening occasionally with both. The first time I lost
everything on the 2 gig card, and naturally assumed there was a flaw in the
card itself, but when I took it to the camera store we played around with
the card in other cameras and it worked perfectly. Then reinserted into my
14 month old D70 and it worked fine. Now it's had the problem a few more
times and my smaller 1 gig card has done it too.

At the same time I have a related problem. I'll get a "CHR" message on the
display and the camera is non-functional when this is displayed. According
to the manual I should reformat the card. I've done that and still not
cured the problem. I'm beginning to think the problem is not with the card
but the camera instead. Any thoughts?

Pat

Old March 23rd 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Pat Durkin" wrote in message

"Patrick L" wrote in message

[...]

I saw this alot whilst working with jessops. This occured across all camera
manufacturers and card manufacturers.

software called "don't panic" image recall and sandisk rescue pro were
useful. Even a card formatted several times could yield usuable 6 month old
pictures with rescue pro.

There are trial versions available for download.

1.If using a card reader use it to read only.
2. Copy and paste do not 'move' pictures.
3. only delete or format the card inside the camera.
4. Format the card regularly don't just keep deleting.

stick to name brands such as sandisk. lexar weren't so good for canons for
a while.
pny was a brand that was the worse offender regarding camera or card format.
avoid any shop brand or vendor brand media. Micron have a good reputation
also known as 'crucial'. kingston aren't too bad and viking is a definite
no. Different card readers have different level of success. I have had
this problem with all three readers i have. Sometimes remove and reboot pc
and everything works again. I prefer to use cameras in a mode that the pc
sees it as a drive and not a camera. Don't bother with fancy download
utilities just use explorer and copy and paste.