THE RETURN OF THE GARY FONG!

Old July 8th 08, 12:45 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alienjones[_5_]

Default THE RETURN OF THE GARY FONG!

Annika1980 wrote:
Taking some pics at a family wedding last week I was able to break out
my trusty Gary Fong flash diffuser. Check out these two pics taken a
fraction of a second apart.

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721017
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721018

In the first pic another person's flash fired at the exact moment as
my shutter tripped, causing a severely overexposed shot which I was
able to rescue thanks to shooting in RAW mode.
Some of the highlights are still blown, reminding one of what they'd
get had they hired a low-budget photographer from Queensland.

The second pic was illuminated by my 580EX bounced with my Gary Fong
diffuser. Note the more even lighting and the lack of harsh shadows.
Even the pro hired to shoot the wedding told me later that she wished
she had a Gary Fong.

If you also suffer from Gary Fong envy you can be cured he

http://store.garyfonginc.com/liiido.html

Unless you had the flash on a 6 feet long pole, the first shot wasn't
lit by your flash but by someone standing to the right of you - Not the
best way to make out you are some sort of wedding photographer. ROTFL.
Old July 8th 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Mark Thomas

Alienjones wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:
[...]

Hey, Doug, nice reading comprehension!

Did you miss the bit that said "In the first pic another person's flash
fired"

Can you get *anything* right??

As for the images, I think the ideal shot is actually between the two -
the first actually has a nicer 3d look and the second, although much
better in softness and exposure, looks a little too flat to me.
Old July 8th 08, 02:33 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Jeff R.

"Alienjones" wrote in message

Annika1980 wrote:
... Check out these two pics taken a
fraction of a second apart.

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721017
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721018

In the first pic another person's flash fired at the exact moment as
my shutter tripped,

Unless you had the flash on a 6 feet long pole, the first shot wasn't lit
by your flash but by someone standing to the right of you - Not the best
way to make out you are some sort of wedding photographer. ROTFL.

ROTFL indeed.
Another one for the idiot file.

Doug, are you functionally illiterate, or just plain stupid?
Or maybe both?

I can't wait for the court case.

--
Jeff R.
(but I guess I'll have to)

Old July 9th 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Annika1980 wrote:

http://www.gophotography.net/tips/strobed.html

Common enough when there's a lot of flash:

-fashion shows
-political news events

I've never had it happen... but I did have strobe slaves set up
(non-radio) and somebody was getting his P&S shots totally wiped out by
my strobes (I was at ISO 100 f/11 ish; his P&S was at ISO 800 f/5.6
ish). evil cackle

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.