Writing off gear?

Old May 22nd 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.technique.art

Default Writing off gear?

Carlo Coggi wrote:
Two months ago I sold my Canon 10D and bought a 30D and some related
camera gear. If my photos and text are accepted for publication, can I
then form a sole proprietorship or corporation and *retroactively*
write-off the cost of my gear and trip?

It depends where you are and what the tax code says.

Here (Quebec) you can incorporate and transfer used capital equipment
declared at a reasonable market value on the day of incorporation and
then depreciate that value at 20% per year (for 5 years) as long as it's
in the company.

For registered (non-incorporated) entities I'm not sure.

Travel costs under any business are costs, period.

For any of the above to be useful, you have to make more money than
expenses, of course.

Forming a company for the sole purpose of avoiding personal taxes is not
usually legal.
Old May 22nd 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.technique.art

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Carlo Coggi wrote:
Two months ago I sold my Canon 10D and bought a 30D and some related
camera gear. If my photos and text are accepted for publication, can I
then form a sole proprietorship or corporation and *retroactively*
write-off the cost of my gear and trip?

It depends where you are and what the tax code says.

Here (Quebec) you can incorporate and transfer used capital equipment
declared at a reasonable market value on the day of incorporation and then
depreciate that value at 20% per year (for 5 years) as long as it's in
the company.

For registered (non-incorporated) entities I'm not sure.

Travel costs under any business are costs, period.

For any of the above to be useful, you have to make more money than
expenses, of course.

Forming a company for the sole purpose of avoiding personal taxes is not
usually legal.

Not only not legal, but very hard to do....I tried it many years ago....the
IRS will soon find you out, and call it a "Hobby" and not allow you to
deduct anything for it. they know it's a hobby, as soon as you go a couple
of years in a row without making a taxable profit.....Anyone who continues
in business at a loss is really operating a hobby, and not a business. If
you break even, then they will leave you alone. If you make a profit, and
don't pay them any taxes on it, they may still leave you alone, until they
audit you and find out, but if you operate at a loss, and try to get money
out of them, then watch out....That's where they draw the line...:^)