Two Subjects... Idaho possibilities next week and...

Old October 3rd 03, 07:28 AM
NWNP

Default Two Subjects... Idaho possibilities next week and...

Couple things...

1. Just wanted to get a take from anyone familiar with Idaho regarding
areas to photograph next week relative to fall color. I'm in Seattle and
thinking of doing a quick run that direction next Tuesday through Sunday
(10/7 - 10/12)

2. Second question, hopefully fair game for this group...

If you own/use an Epson 1270, has anyone heard of or experienced dumps of
black ink every once in a while in 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide strips. Seems to
happen mid cartridge with me and I am a bit perplexed. Printer has been
used very little, but I am guessing it is the printer. This has happened
with two cartridges now. And finally, I am wondering if printing on 6x4
Epson card size may be the problem.

Since this is a nature photography group, and there may be a few folks out
there who may know a bit about the 1270's.

Thanks...

Old October 4th 03, 04:36 AM
Scott Elliot

I have an Epson 1280 so it may be similar. Here are a few general comments
on use.

Turn the printer off when you are not using it. I have found that the jets
have to be cleaned more often if the printer is left on and not used for
prolonged times. It seems that some of the nozzles must dry up.

Print a nozzle check before trying to print any photos, especially if the
printer has not been used for a while. The nozzle cleaning procedure wastes
expensive ink, but keep repeating it until the nozzle check come out clean.
You waste less ink doing a nozzle clean than printing a whole photo that is
ruined because a few nozzles were clogged.

If you get horizontal banding or ink blotches, do another nozzle check.
Both these may occur when one or more jets are clogged.

Clean the printer once in a while. I use some canned air to blow dust out
of the interior and a clean, lint free cloth to wipe up any excess ink on
the rollers and other parts of the paper path I can reach.

Avoid doing borderless prints. Borderless printing always sprays ink past
the edges of the paper. That extra ink sprayed into the paper path is not
going to improve performance on subsequent photos. I use Qimage which
displays the maximum printable size for each type and size of paper. I then
crop the image to those proportions while I adjust levels and sharpness in
Photoshop. I set the image size in Qimage to the same as the paper size
indicated. Qimage makes for very slow printing, but the quality of images
is superior to using bi-cubic extrapolation in Photoshop to resize images.

Use a good quality paper. I have recently been using Ilford Smooth Gloss
and Smooth Pearl papers. This is a heavier quality paper and I have had
fewer problems than with some of the more skimpy paper from Epson. It took
quite a bit of trials before I was satisfied with the colour balance on the
Ilford paper. The Ilford paper gives beautiful results for colourful
subjects like birds and wildflowers.

Be sure you choose the correct paper setting for the type of paper you are
using. Some types of paper require more ink than others so you can get
either too much or too little ink if you use the wrong setting.

I am in no way a computer or printer expert so I sure there are people who
can give even better suggestions.

Scott Elliot
http://www3.telus.net/selliot/