A Passing Of Note

Old August 22nd 06, 08:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jay Beckman

Default A Passing Of Note

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14457191/

Relates to one of the most famous photos in world history.

Jay B

Old August 22nd 06, 10:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
cjcampbell

Jay Beckman wrote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14457191/

Relates to one of the most famous photos in world history.

He always seemed to downplay what it took to get that picture.

Old August 22nd 06, 11:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Espen Stranger Seland

On 22 Aug 2006 02:14:35 -0700, "cjcampbell"
wrote:

Jay Beckman wrote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14457191/

Relates to one of the most famous photos in world history.

He always seemed to downplay what it took to get that picture.

Of course, it's arranged! :-)

-espen
--
http://www.seland.org/
Old August 22nd 06, 07:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Randy W. Sims

Jay Beckman wrote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14457191/

Relates to one of the most famous photos in world history.

I've been reading the book about the boys in that photo: "Flags of Our
Fathers" by James Bradley. Excellent book.

Randy.
Old August 22nd 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
bmoag

Regardless of how the photo was made it has become possibly the most famous
American photo ever made, an iconic image of an age and time.
That is an awesome achievement that none of us reading this newsgroup is
likely to duplicate.
When I read Mr. Rosenthal's obituary I began to think of comparably famous
photographic images, images that would be known to the general American
public and not just photocognescenti.
Portraits of Lincoln?
Truman holding the Dewy beats Truman newspaper?
Oswald reacting to being shot?
The photo of a Vietnamese general executing a viet cong?
Earthrise from lunar orbit?

Others . . . . . .?

Old August 23rd 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Joe Makowiec

On 22 Aug 2006 in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems, bmoag wrote:

Regardless of how the photo was made it has become possibly the most
famous American photo ever made, an iconic image of an age and time.
That is an awesome achievement that none of us reading this
newsgroup is likely to duplicate.
When I read Mr. Rosenthal's obituary I began to think of comparably
famous photographic images, images that would be known to the
general American public and not just photocognescenti.
Portraits of Lincoln?
Truman holding the Dewy beats Truman newspaper?
Oswald reacting to being shot?
The photo of a Vietnamese general executing a viet cong?
Earthrise from lunar orbit?

Others . . . . . .?

Various of Ansel Adams's images which have been made into posters
The publicity shot of Marilyn Monroe over a subway grate. (In that case,
the subject is far better known than the photographer.)

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Old August 23rd 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
cjcampbell

bmoag wrote:
Regardless of how the photo was made it has become possibly the most famous
American photo ever made, an iconic image of an age and time.

No question about that. Anyone who has an objection to a 'posed'
picture needs to study this one some more.

That is an awesome achievement that none of us reading this newsgroup is
likely to duplicate.
When I read Mr. Rosenthal's obituary I began to think of comparably famous
photographic images, images that would be known to the general American
public and not just photocognescenti.
Portraits of Lincoln?
Truman holding the Dewy beats Truman newspaper?
Oswald reacting to being shot?
The photo of a Vietnamese general executing a viet cong?
Earthrise from lunar orbit?

Others . . . . . .?

The girl looking at the body of a student shot at Kent State.
The crosshairs of a cruise missile centered on the window of a building
in Baghdad.
The reflection of the earth in the faceplate of Neil Armstrong.
The mushroom cloud over Hiroshima.
The lone student standing up to a tank at Tiananman Square.
The fireman carrying a dead baby from the Oklahoma City bombing.

Old August 23rd 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
JC Dill

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 21:57:56 GMT, "bmoag" wrote:

Others . . . . . .?

The sailor kissing a girl in Times Square after the end of WWII:

http://ivizlab.sfu.ca/arya/Gallery/Photos/VjDayKiss.jpg

Ansel Adams photo of Half Dome with the (almost) Full Moon:

http://web.mit.edu/elerrina/www/pics...lf_dome-sm.jpg

Afghani girl (National Geographic photo):

http://ivizlab.sfu.ca/arya/Gallery/P...AfghanGirl.jpg

Man standing in front of tanks, Tienanman Squa

http://ivizlab.sfu.ca/arya/Gallery/P...ananmen-tn.jpg

Muybridge - photos of horses trotting, galloping:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._in_Motion.jpg

Naked girl running from napalm attack in Vietnam:

http://ivizlab.sfu.ca/arya/Gallery/Photos/Vietnam-2.jpg

Kent State:

http://www.uiowa.edu/~policult/asset.../KentState.jpg

I hesitate to mention this one, as I don't want this thread heading
off into conspiracy theories, but almost everyone in the US above a
"certain age" has seen the Zapruder film frames of the Kennedy
Assassination, and the photo of Jack Ruby shooting Lee Harvey Oswald.

John John saluting at his father's funeral:

http://www.koelle.dk/pictures/salute.jpg

In SF and in sports "The Catch" is a famous photo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Catch_(American_football)

jc

~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA
Old August 23rd 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jay Beckman

I don't disagree with the iconic status of the images in your list,
however:

Any Images of JFK being shot come from Zapruder's 8mm home movie and
the famous image of John Jr saluting at JFKs funeral is one single
frame from newsreel footage.

I may be wrong (and I'd appreciate being educated if I am...) but AFAIK
there are not any true still photos (ie ... not from a movie camera) of
either event.

Good list though.

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ

Old August 23rd 06, 06:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
cjcampbell

Jay Beckman wrote:
I don't disagree with the iconic status of the images in your list,
however:

Any Images of JFK being shot come from Zapruder's 8mm home movie and
the famous image of John Jr saluting at JFKs funeral is one single
frame from newsreel footage.

I may be wrong (and I'd appreciate being educated if I am...) but AFAIK
there are not any true still photos (ie ... not from a movie camera) of
either event.

The only still photos of JFK's assassination were taken from the sewers
by the Mafia photographer Castro sent with the Cuban assassins.