can Cokin filters be cut?

Old December 14th 04, 07:04 AM
Tom Phillips

Default can Cokin filters be cut?

Mike wrote:

I have one of those "snap-in" filter holders that takes 3x3" filters. I
see that Lee polyester filters are reasonably priced at $12 each. But I'm
also looking for a graduated ND (and possibly a polarizer), however the
glass ones sold by B&W and Tiffen are over $100! Cokin filters are much
cheaper...but aren't 3x3. Anybody know if they can be cut with a
dremel tool or something?

I don't see why not. The problem with cutting plastic is
it chips and scratches easily. I'd probably use a coping
saw with a padded vise.

Old December 14th 04, 10:26 AM
Richard Knoppow

"Tom Phillips" wrote in message

Mike wrote:

I have one of those "snap-in" filter holders that takes
3x3" filters. I
see that Lee polyester filters are reasonably priced at
$12 each. But I'm
also looking for a graduated ND (and possibly a
polarizer), however the
glass ones sold by B&W and Tiffen are over $100! Cokin
filters are much
cheaper...but aren't 3x3. Anybody know if they can be
cut with a
dremel tool or something?

I don't see why not. The problem with cutting plastic is
it chips and scratches easily. I'd probably use a coping
saw with a padded vise.

Some types of plastic cut well using a scribe. Scratch
it where you want to cut it and it snaps apart cleanly. The
cutter looks something like a linoleum knife. If there is a
store in your area that sells plastic sheet they can help
you. I've had mine for so long I no longer remember where I
got it.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old December 14th 04, 01:20 PM
Pieter Litchfield

I know that they are cut to make filters for the Horizon 202 swing lens
panoramic, so it must be possible. However, ploarizing filters (at least in
my experience) are two piece rotating units - I think these would be
difficult or impossible to fabricate.

Old December 14th 04, 07:57 PM
Tom Phillips

Mike wrote:

[...]

Certainly worth a try. I've had plastic (scored and "snapped"
as you describe) chip along the edges, but not always. Advise
practicing on scrap plexi or something.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA