Canon Elph SD110, Kodak EasyShare CX7430, Canon Powershots A75 and A80, and Nikon CoolPix 3200

Old August 1st 04, 08:13 AM
Shannon

Default Canon Elph SD110, Kodak EasyShare CX7430, Canon Powershots A75 and A80, and Nikon CoolPix 3200

Hi, I'm new to digital cameras, and I want to get something in the
3 or 4 mp range to take to college with me. I've been doing a lot of
general research on specifications and terminology and have begun to shop
around to look at specific brands and models. I have some general
questions about the models I've seen and really like.

I like the Canon Elph SD110's small size and metal body. I've also
been told that its image quality is incredible for such a small camera.
However, because of its relatively small lens, I'm wondering how it
performs in low light situations. Other comments?

I've heard that Kodak has a great line of new cameras and am
interested in the EasyShare CX7430. The menu is cotton candy-ish and
easy for me to understand. It's supposed to be very good for color
balance. Anyone have one that can make any comments? Any negatives?

I am also considering Canon's Powershot A75 and A80, and Nikon's
CoolPix 3200. I haven't read a bad review regarding either of the
PowerShots.

Thank you for any help you can give me,

Shannon

Old August 1st 04, 02:59 PM
Ron Hunter

Shannon wrote:

Hi, I'm new to digital cameras, and I want to get something in the
3 or 4 mp range to take to college with me. I've been doing a lot of
general research on specifications and terminology and have begun to shop
around to look at specific brands and models. I have some general
questions about the models I've seen and really like.

I like the Canon Elph SD110's small size and metal body. I've also
been told that its image quality is incredible for such a small camera.
However, because of its relatively small lens, I'm wondering how it
performs in low light situations. Other comments?

I've heard that Kodak has a great line of new cameras and am
interested in the EasyShare CX7430. The menu is cotton candy-ish and
easy for me to understand. It's supposed to be very good for color
balance. Anyone have one that can make any comments? Any negatives?

I can't comment on the other cameras, but I would check out the DX7440
for the extra zoom range, and extra flexibility features. I have the
DX6440 and it takes generally excellent pictures.

Old August 2nd 04, 06:35 PM
Ron Baird

Greetings Shannon,

I have found that the CX7430 is a nice model and one that you will enjoy
considerably. It has most of the features that you would expect plus it is
quite fast for the model series. You can get details on the camera and a
full review by going to the Kodak pages:

http://www.kodak.com/go/cx7430

Also, be sure to visit the educational pages about digital so you will be
prepared for some great images once you get to school.

I would also make it a point to visit the local camera stores to get a hands
on feel and review of the cameras you have mentioned. With that experience,
you can then make an educated decision on which will do best for you.
Consider what you might be shooting, and plan for it and what you might like
in the future. Consider the budget you have for a camera, then read up on
the kind of picture taking you might do while in college. If you are like
my Daughters, you will want some fast action and low light capabilities,
i.e. games and parties etc. Know how to set your camera and get good
results in all situations.

Talk to you soon, Shannon, enjoy your picture taking.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Old August 7th 04, 05:41 AM
kela

I just brought a Kodak DX7440 a week and a half ago and it has been
really good. My cowork with their A75 and A80 were quite impress by it
for its speed, weight, larger 2.2" LCD, white balance, image, and
zoom. The only thing they didn't like was the battery. They preferred
AA.

Old August 19th 04, 10:03 PM
Ron Baird

Greetings Kela,

Glad to know you are enjoying your new camera. Actually, the battery system
in your camera should last you a good long time (possibly longer than AAs)
and provide a consistent power supply for your picture taking. There is a
charger and additional batteries that you can purchase that will allow for
extended picture taking as well.

If you do have questions, however, let me know. I am here for you.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company