D50 viewfinder scratched, help!

Old January 2nd 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default D50 viewfinder scratched, help!

I was cleaning the sensor of my D50 when I somehow managed to scratch
the glass directly above it which ( I think) is the viewfinder. I still
dont know how this happened, but but it happened. Now, when I look
through the viewfinder, I can see those marks clearly, but they DO NOT
appear on the picture that the camera takes, which is a HUGE relief.

Does anyone know how what I can do to fix this, how serious teh damage
will be and what t might cost to fix it? Since this does not impact the
pictures, I am in no hurry, but I do feel uneasy knowing that my
beautiful toy is damaged,

Thanks!

Old January 2nd 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 11:25:04 -0800, Paul Furman

I was cleaning the sensor of my D50 when I somehow managed to scratch
the glass directly above it which ( I think) is the viewfinder. I still
dont know how this happened, but but it happened. Now, when I look
through the viewfinder, I can see those marks clearly, but they DO NOT
appear on the picture that the camera takes, which is a HUGE relief.

Does anyone know how what I can do to fix this, how serious teh damage
will be and what t might cost to fix it? Since this does not impact the
pictures, I am in no hurry, but I do feel uneasy knowing that my
beautiful toy is damaged,

You can get custom replacement focus screens for a D70 for about $100,
not sure if that would fit a D50 but I wouldn't worry about it & would
just live with the scratch.

Is the screen glass or plastic? $100 for a screen? At that kind of
price you'd think the whole camera should have cost $9000.
-Rich
Old January 2nd 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Rich wrote:
[...]

I don't know, includes a split screen focus aid:
http://www.katzeyeoptics.com
Old January 4th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 14:38:33 -0800, Paul Furman
wrote:

Rich wrote:
[...]

It is an interesting aftermarket product. Like the old Beattie
"Intensescreens." I wonder what happened to the mainstream providers
like Canon, etc? I remember Olympus had something like 10-14 screens
for their SLRs.
-Rich
Old January 5th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Little Green Eyed Dragon wrote:
It used to be that film cameras had a life
expectancy of 20 years, now its six months.

If your film or digital cameras die after 6 months, you are doing
something quite wrong.

-Wolfgang
Old January 5th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

In article ,
Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

Little Green Eyed Dragon wrote:
It used to be that film cameras had a life
expectancy of 20 years, now its six months.

If your film or digital cameras die after 6 months, you are doing
something quite wrong.

-Wolfgang

That was not the implication, the implication is
that the manufacturers obsolete the equipment
on a very shorter order.

--
Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere