Teleconverter for Canon Powershot S1-IS

Old July 22nd 04, 09:47 PM
Arne Pettersson

Default Teleconverter for Canon Powershot S1-IS

Hi.

I have the S1-IS, and are lokking for a teleconverter with more punch than
the 1,6x that Canon have for the S1.

When I called canon to see if any 52mm teleconverter would do, the responded
that theirs was the only one that would work (of course...).

Please help me with this topic, as I can not find the answer from any of the
vendors I have spoken to.

Wich teleconverters (2,6x or more) would fit the S1-IS ?

Best Regards
Arne Pettersson

Old July 23rd 04, 10:42 AM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:47:32 GMT, "Arne Pettersson"
wrote:

I have the S1-IS, and are lokking for a teleconverter with more punch than
the 1,6x that Canon have for the S1.

When I called canon to see if any 52mm teleconverter would do, the responded
that theirs was the only one that would work (of course...).

Please help me with this topic, as I can not find the answer from any of the
vendors I have spoken to.

Wich teleconverters (2,6x or more) would fit the S1-IS ?

Arne,

none, really. The lens is already maxed out due to chromatic
aberration without any teleconverter. Even theirs is not really
usable.

So unless you're happy with very low resolution photos, forget
about it.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Old July 23rd 04, 12:30 PM
dwight

wrote:

I have the S1-IS, and are lokking for a teleconverter with more punch than
the 1,6x that Canon have for the S1.

When I called canon to see if any 52mm teleconverter would do, the responded
that theirs was the only one that would work (of course...).

Please help me with this topic, as I can not find the answer from any of the
vendors I have spoken to.

Wich teleconverters (2,6x or more) would fit the S1-IS ?

Arne,

none, really. The lens is already maxed out due to chromatic
aberration without any teleconverter. Even theirs is not really
usable.

So unless you're happy with very low resolution photos, forget
about it.

Hans-Georg

Is this one of those things that, if you say it often enough, it
becomes true?

Or are you routinely zooming in at 600% looking for those chromatic
aberrations? 'Cause I'm not seeing it.

Yes, the Canon has given me slight ("SLIGHT") chromatic aberration at
full 10X optical plus 3.2X digital zoom, on occasion. About as often
as my film cameras.

dwight

Old July 23rd 04, 04:39 PM
Arne Pettersson

wrote:

[...]

I have read about chromatic aberration now, and I don't think it would
affect me much.
My images are mainly "Me, my family and the cat on vacation".

But the question stills remain.

Are there a teleconverter, with more than 2.6x, that would fit the S1-IS?

// Arne

Old July 23rd 04, 05:41 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 07:30:45 -0400, dwight
wrote:

Yes, the Canon has given me slight ("SLIGHT") chromatic aberration at
full 10X optical plus 3.2X digital zoom, on occasion. About as often
as my film cameras.

Dwight,

how many pixels wide?

Your remark, "plus 3.2X digital zoom" indicates that you do not
understand the problem fully.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Old July 23rd 04, 05:41 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:39:10 GMT, "Arne Pettersson"
wrote:

But the question stills remain.

Are there a teleconverter, with more than 2.6x, that would fit the S1-IS?

Arne,

let me put it differently. The question doesn't make any sense,
because you would get the same result by cropping.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old July 23rd 04, 07:06 PM
dwight

wrote:

Yes, the Canon has given me slight ("SLIGHT") chromatic aberration at
full 10X optical plus 3.2X digital zoom, on occasion. About as often
as my film cameras.

Dwight,

how many pixels wide?

?? I almost always shoot at the maximum setting, but at least 2048.

Your remark, "plus 3.2X digital zoom" indicates that you do not
understand the problem fully.

?? The camera sports a 10X optical zoom, plus a 3.2X digital that
kicks in when the optics are fully extended. I see no visible
chromatic distortion.

Curious - do you own the Canon S1?

dwight