[Help] Need Advice on Digital Camera for Hiker

Old December 13th 04, 07:05 PM
Gal Called J.J.

Default [Help] Need Advice on Digital Camera for Hiker

My father is a hiker who lives in Washington State. He's looking
for his first digital camera; currently considering a Kodak Easy
Share DX7590 because of the 10x optical zoom and relatively low
price. He's concerned, however, about moisture issues; if he packs
the camera in plastic bag(s), would there still be a problem with
condensation forming as the camera warms and/or cools (depending
on his elevation)? And if so, could it be severe enough to affect
the photos or the camera itself? No point in paying $500+ for a
camera system just to have it get ruined his first time out. Any
info/recommendations would be greatly appreciated, TIA...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
Old December 13th 04, 07:43 PM
ECM

Check out the Olympus Stylus Verve, 400, and 410. They're billed as
"all-weather"; I've heard they can be used in a rainstorm, although I
wouldn't actually submerse them.

Good Luck!
ECM

Old December 13th 04, 07:43 PM
JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk

I'm no expert on anything with the moisture, but, I have a camera with a
10x optical zoom, and I find that the 10x zoom is more than I can handle.
Without a tripod anything zoomed in at that distance usually gets a bit
blurry. For that reason I usually don't use the full zoom.
consider getting a small hikers tripod too.

my guesses on the moisture..
moisture will not ruin the photo's, a friend of mine put his memory card
thru the washing machine, and it still works just fine.
I have used my camera on damp days and in the rain and have had no problems.
I keep it in a regular camera case and I have not had any trouble.

Old December 14th 04, 04:44 AM
Michael Meissner

"JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk" writes:

I'm no expert on anything with the moisture, but, I have a camera with a
10x optical zoom, and I find that the 10x zoom is more than I can handle.
Without a tripod anything zoomed in at that distance usually gets a bit
blurry. For that reason I usually don't use the full zoom.
consider getting a small hikers tripod too.

Image stabalization as found on Panasonic FZ cameras, Konica Minolta
A1/A2/A200/Z3, the Canon S1, and Nikon 8800 can often times help reduce camera
shake that show up with long zoom lenses. Note, Image Stabalization does not
help reduce subject movement.

--
Michael Meissner
email: