Cokin filters

Old November 25th 04, 01:59 PM
Dps

Default Cokin filters

Hi all,

as I see my lens collection growing, I am discovering that each lens I own
has a different filter diameter. I have all my lenses with a UV filter on,
but I only have my old (and a bit tired) 58mm CPL and need a 50mm, a 72mm
and in the near future a 67mm CPL. I do not have any other filters, but I
thing skylight, blue and orange could be useful. Now, to buy good quality
CPLs for these diameters (and who knows what will come) will cost me much
and I was thinking about Cokin system. Does anyone have any experience? Is
it worth it?

thanks a lot!!!

-- dimitris

Old November 25th 04, 02:25 PM
Bruce Murphy

"Dps" servis*REMOVE writes:

Hi all,

as I see my lens collection growing, I am discovering that each lens I own
has a different filter diameter. I have all my lenses with a UV filter on,
but I only have my old (and a bit tired) 58mm CPL and need a 50mm, a 72mm
and in the near future a 67mm CPL. I do not have any other filters, but I
thing skylight, blue and orange could be useful. Now, to buy good quality
CPLs for these diameters (and who knows what will come) will cost me much
and I was thinking about Cokin system. Does anyone have any experience? Is
it worth it?

What about buying 77s and using step-down (up?) rings?

Old November 25th 04, 02:31 PM
Dps

Hi Bruce,

thanks for the answer. I thought about that, but then I would still have to
buy two CPLs for example to cover the 50-58 and 67-72 range respectively,
shouldn't I? I do not know how safe and efficient is to use a step ring like
50-77... if there is one... Further, I do not know how efficient step rings
are, I never had any. for example, I wonder, should I keep a step ring on
the lens all the time? whether I use the filter or not? I do not know if
this is right or not... AFAIK cokin filters only need a ring for each lens
that can stay on the lens all the time and just attach the adaptwer and
filter...

Old November 25th 04, 02:54 PM
Scott Schuckert

In article , Dps
wrote:

Does anyone have any experience? Is
it worth it?

Everyone will have their own opinions, of course; it depends on how you
intend to used them. I used to sell the Cokin filters in my shop, and
of course tried them myself.

For me, at least, they were more appropriate for special effects in the
studio than general use out in the field. Too bulky, cumbersome, and
"fiddly." And, while they're GOOD acrylic, they're still plastic. (At
least the flats were good. The multi-image prism thingies were just
awful.)

If I were you I'd just bite the bullet and get your common filters in
the appropriate sizes.
Old November 25th 04, 03:05 PM
Bruce Murphy

"Dps" servis*REMOVE writes:

Hi Bruce,

thanks for the answer. I thought about that, but then I would still have to
buy two CPLs for example to cover the 50-58 and 67-72 range respectively,
shouldn't I? I do not know how safe and efficient is to use a step ring like
50-77... if there is one...

Perfectly. It looks a bit awkward, but probably no more so than the
cokin things.

In reality, you won't use just /one/ step ring, but will have several
and add them as you need to get from your lens size up to the 77.

Further, I do not know how efficient step rings
are, I never had any. for example, I wonder, should I keep a step ring on
the lens all the time?

Efficient? they're a piece of metal. They might get in the way of
attaching a hood, but they have no optical effect (at least the ones
that increase the size of the filter rings). They tend to flare out
sufficiently fast that they don't cause vignetting, too.

whether I use the filter or not? I do not know if
this is right or not... AFAIK cokin filters only need a ring for each lens
that can stay on the lens all the time and just attach the adaptwer and
filter...

It's a filter, you pull the filter you want out and then any step down
rings you need to attach it. Filters really shouldn't be on the lens
all the time, and I doubt you want to have the cokin crap on the front
of a camera.

Old November 26th 04, 04:57 PM

About the only filter I would use with a Cokin filter holder is a ND
Gradual filter, so I could adjust the graduation. Otherwise I would use
glass filters with step rings.
I've heard that the Cokin ND Grads are grey instead of neutral, but I've
heard that Hitech makes good ND Grads, and can be found he
http://www.2filter.com/prices/htpackages.html
Get the P series to avoid vignetting.
You can get glass ND Grads, but they are expensive.

Cody,

http://community-2.webtv.net/AnOverc...otographyLinks

Old November 26th 04, 05:37 PM
Peter Chant

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 10:57:10 -0600, AnOvercomer02 wrote:

About the only filter I would use with a Cokin filter holder is a ND
Gradual filter, so I could adjust the graduation. Otherwise I would use
glass filters with step rings.
I've heard that the Cokin ND Grads are grey instead of neutral, but I've
heard that Hitech makes good ND Grads, and can be found he

Okm what is the difference between gray and neutral?

A neutral would attenuate all visible wavelengths equally whereas
a grey would attenuate only the colours that make up gray, ie dark white,
i.e. all colours. QED Gray = neutral.

Am i nissing something?