[SI] Mandate substitution

Old September 23rd 10, 05:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

Default [SI] Mandate substitution

Due to popular demand, the "Open" mandate has been dumped in favor of
Night Shots. Now quit complaining. I don't get paid for this.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/nightshots

Night Shots is due November 21st, 2010.

More info he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage
Old September 23rd 10, 09:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_42_]

* Bowser wrote :
Due to popular demand, the "Open" mandate has been dumped in favor of
Night Shots. Now quit complaining. I don't get paid for this.

Excellent point and it appears that everyone needs reminding of
this. For what it's worth, you do have my support and
appreciation for the time (your own time) and effort (volunteered
and without paY) involved in keeping the ShootIn going.

--
Troy Piggins
Old September 23rd 10, 10:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Pete[_8_]

On 2010-09-23 21:02:14 +0100, Troy Piggins said:

* Bowser wrote :
Due to popular demand, the "Open" mandate has been dumped in favor of
Night Shots. Now quit complaining. I don't get paid for this.

Excellent point and it appears that everyone needs reminding of
this. For what it's worth, you do have my support and
appreciation for the time (your own time) and effort (volunteered
and without paY) involved in keeping the ShootIn going.

My support also.

To address Tony C's comments about lack of feedback, I do not feel
worthy of commenting on the images because:

1. I have not submitted anything myself.

2. My skills are less than that of the contributors.

3. Many posts have shown that "I like this image" is lame and inappropriate.

4. Giving positive feedback for one or two images could be interpreted
as "so the others were crap", which is not the case.

5. Nearly everything I post ends up in being "dismissed by the teachers".

I've thoroughly enjoyed every SI I've seen and take this opportunity to
thank Bowser and all the contributors for there time and effort. Simply
brilliant.

--
Pete

Old September 23rd 10, 11:19 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

"Pete" wrote in message

To address Tony C's comments about lack of feedback, I do not feel worthy
of commenting on the images because:

1. I have not submitted anything myself.

2. My skills are less than that of the contributors.

3. Many posts have shown that "I like this image" is lame and
inappropriate.

4. Giving positive feedback for one or two images could be interpreted as
"so the others were crap", which is not the case.

5. Nearly everything I post ends up in being "dismissed by the teachers".

I've thoroughly enjoyed every SI I've seen and take this opportunity to
thank Bowser and all the contributors for there time and effort. Simply
brilliant.

Bull****!
If you like my image, there is a reason you like it.
Similarly, if you do not like my image there is a reason. As a parallel: I
stink at golf, but have had success teaching golf.
You may feel intimidated, but you should not be. Art is so subjective that
you don't need any special qualification to comment.
Compare! Ever say or think, "yeech," when eating something you don't like?
Ever take a second portion of something you really do enjoy eating?
You certainly don't have to be a chef to say why you like or dislike the
food.
I can tell an individual how to get laid 8 times in an evening, but can't do
it myself.

I won't speak for others, but I post there because I like another forum to
display my work and look forward to constructive comments, which help
improve my work. Indeed, comments from novices can often tell me if I am
gong in the right direction. You don't have to like it.

So let's hear form you, good or bad.
--
Peter

Old September 23rd 10, 11:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Troy Piggins[_42_]

Default Mandate substitution

* otter wrote :
On Sep 23, 4:30Â*pm, Pete wrote:
[---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 29 lines snipped |=---]
thank Bowser and all the contributors for there time and effort. Simply
brilliant.

I'm not sure everyone wants feedback on their submissions. And a lot
of people don't take criticism well. So, I have elected to not tear
apart pictures posted by others, unless they have given a clear
indication that they want such feedback and are able to take it
constructively without being defensive.

I'm also not going to nitpick every small detail. If I see something
that would be obviously better some other way, I might comment on it,
but otherwise not.

And sometimes I'm too busy with other things to get involved with
this. You know, the life of a corporate dullard and all.

Not that I've had a chance to submit the last few SIs, but when I
do get the next chance, please note that I do appreciate all
comments and critiques. It's how we learn. If noone provides
feedback, you'll just keep taking the same sort of photos and may
not improve.

--
Troy Piggins
Old September 23rd 10, 11:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Troy Piggins[_42_]

On 2010-09-23 21:02:14 +0100, Troy Piggins said:

* Bowser wrote :
Due to popular demand, the "Open" mandate has been dumped in favor of
Night Shots. Now quit complaining. I don't get paid for this.

Excellent point and it appears that everyone needs reminding of
this. For what it's worth, you do have my support and
appreciation for the time (your own time) and effort (volunteered
and without paY) involved in keeping the ShootIn going.

My support also.

To address Tony C's comments about lack of feedback, I do not feel
worthy of commenting on the images because:

1. I have not submitted anything myself.

2. My skills are less than that of the contributors.

It's not about skill. Submit photos, have fun, get critiqued,
improve yourself. You'll probably have to filter out the
comments that are non-constructive and take on-board the ones
that are. But it's worth it. Promise.

3. Many posts have shown that "I like this image" is lame and inappropriate.

Or it tells you that people like what you've submitted...

4. Giving positive feedback for one or two images could be interpreted
as "so the others were crap", which is not the case.

Not really. Unless you're a glass is half empty kind of person.
Could just mean that they didn't have time to comment on all, or
they didn't know how or what to comment on yours. It's not
always a bad thing. Could be they're just being lazy?

5. Nearly everything I post ends up in being "dismissed by the teachers".

No teachers here. Peers maybe.

I've thoroughly enjoyed every SI I've seen and take this opportunity to
thank Bowser and all the contributors for there time and effort. Simply
brilliant.

Ditto.

--
Troy Piggins
Old September 24th 10, 12:54 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 22:30:02 +0100, Pete

On 2010-09-23 21:02:14 +0100, Troy Piggins said:

* Bowser wrote :
Due to popular demand, the "Open" mandate has been dumped in favor of
Night Shots. Now quit complaining. I don't get paid for this.

Excellent point and it appears that everyone needs reminding of
this. For what it's worth, you do have my support and
appreciation for the time (your own time) and effort (volunteered
and without paY) involved in keeping the ShootIn going.

My support also.

To address Tony C's comments about lack of feedback, I do not feel
worthy of commenting on the images because:

1. I have not submitted anything myself.

In my opinion, this should not be a factor in any way. The point of
the comments is for the person submitting the images to see how other
people view his photographs. Good? Bad? Cropped to the most
effective composition? Interesting? Is there a distraction that the
photographer doesn't see but the viewer does?

2. My skills are less than that of the contributors.

Unimportant. You have the skill to see a photograph and know if you
like it or not and what you do and don't like about it.

Whenever I travel to larger cities, I try to visit art museums. I've
been to all the major museums in most of the major cities in the US
and some in Europe.

I can't draw a smiley face and can only use a brush to paint a wall.
That doesn't mean that I can't form opinions about art.

3. Many posts have shown that "I like this image" is lame and inappropriate.

If there are ten images and you comment ten times "I like this", then
you really are not contributing. If you add why you like it to seven
of them, you are contributing.

4. Giving positive feedback for one or two images could be interpreted
as "so the others were crap", which is not the case.

Several people do that. Some people don't like to say anything
negative about any contribution. Still, the few you do comment on
makes your contribution worthwhile.

5. Nearly everything I post ends up in being "dismissed by the teachers".

I don't understand this comment. Who dismisses your input? There are
a few people here who dismiss everything and anyone, but no one pays
any attention to them.

Do you think anyone cares if, for example, "LOL" (by any name)
dismisses their comment? No one here pays the slightest bit of
attention to that person. He's a joke, and he's the only person here
who doesn't know he's a joke.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Old September 24th 10, 01:00 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 15:17:38 -0700 (PDT), otter

On 2010-09-23 21:02:14 +0100, Troy Piggins said:

* Bowser wrote :
[...]

I seriously doubt that.

And a lot of people don't take criticism well. So, I have elected to not tear
apart pictures posted by others, unless they have given a clear
indication that they want such feedback and are able to take it
constructively without being defensive.

No one's suggesting that you tear an image apart. A comment like
"This one doesn't work for me" is not exactly ripping it to shreds.
Most of the critical comments have been met with either agreement or
revisions by the person submitting the shot, although there's no
reason that the submitter has to agree with the criticism.

Old September 24th 10, 01:01 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Tim Conway[_2_]

"Troy Piggins" wrote in message
* otter wrote :
On Sep 23, 4:30 pm, Pete wrote:
[...]

I agree. I'm going to try to comment after this. I think it is only fair.