[SI] Monochrome Commentary

Old January 18th 07, 09:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Kinon O'Cann

Default [SI] Monochrome Commentary

"Douglas" wrote in message
: Douglas: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/73110177
: Hell, Douglas, this IS a monochrome shot! Don't get me wrong, I like the
: shot, but would have preferred it if it were actually color, or
desiderated
: with just one of the flowers in color. It's monochrome, but is not a
perfect
: fit for the mandate, since I believe that the idea was to shoot
something
in
: color that could be mistaken for a monochrome shot. But it's a very nice
: shot of the bride. C+
---------------------------

The really difficult part about submitting an image to a (insert
description) when the mandate is "Monochrome" without a description of the
mandate accompanying it until a day after you make your submission... Is
(insert whatever comes to mind).

Yeah, where was the "current challenge" link?

In hindsight (Why are there no ears on our hips) I would have submitted
this
shot:
http://www.photosbydouglas.com/colorchrome.jpg
But then if I'd known I would fall off my perch, I'd never have built a
hide
in a tree either!

For those uninformed... I fell out of a tree whilst shooting the birth of
thousands of baby pelicans when one irate bird noticed me and attacked!
--

Australian Wedding Photography between Kempsy, NSW and Sunshine Coast.
http://www.photosbydouglas.com

Old January 18th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Kinon O'Cann

"Walter Banks" wrote in message

Kinon O'Cann wrote:

Time for more amazingly uninsightful commentary on the latest shoot-in;
Monochrome. Our heroes, for this round, were challenged to shoot color
pictures that were very monochrome in tone, and challenged to include an
object that proved it was a color picture. The usual caveats apply to any
comments I make on someone else's work; I have no idea what I'm talking
about, so take it all with huge grains of salt, pepper, or curry.

Walter Banks: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/73153601
What a perfect shot for this mandate! I love it! The scene is obviously a
full-color shot, but seems to be a very flat black and white shot. Yes, I
see the slight intrusion of shades of brown on the rocks and trees, but
at
first glance you eyes are not drawn to it, and until you see the
prominent
yellow sign, you could easily mistake this for a monochrome shot. Nice
job!

Thanks for the kind comments. I wished that I could say that I planned
long and hard for this shot as a candidate for this mandate. On a gray
day with a light dusting of snow I was exploring around with my nephew
and spouse and we stopped at the flume. It had rained for much of the
previous two weeks so the water was running at spring volume. This is
at the bottom of an escapment where water cascades down for about
120 feet from a lake. (Transportation for logs) I was playing with
shutter speed to see the effects on the rushing water unaware of the
no hiking sign until I got home.

Processing was limited to resizing and lightening. (No color changes)

This not the first time I have used the flume for SI. The follow image is
part of the same waterway that was dug out and straightened to allow
logs to driven over the escarpment.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/47810873

Yikes! What purple fringing!

w..

Old January 18th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Walter Banks

Kinon O'Cann wrote:

"Walter Banks" wrote in message

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/47810873

Yikes! What purple fringing!

Yikes is right. I am amazed that no one commented a year and a half ago. Difference bewteen point and shoot lenses and SLR

w..

Old January 18th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Duncan Chesley

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 00:36:19 GMT, "Kinon O'Cann" wrote:

No question, this shot looks
totally monochrome. I wish I knew what I was looking at, however. I see the
sky, treeline, and something in the foreground that I can't make out.

On my (calibrated) monitor the sky in between the clouds has a
definite blue tint.

At the bottom is a long plastic greenhouse with a semi-circular cross
section, seen from the side. The slinky-like hoop rings inside support
the plastic. I cropped off the garden rows at the bottom, opting for
weirdness instead of context, and got what I deserved.

Thanks, Kinon, for the comments.

DuncanC

Old January 18th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Walter Banks

Kinon O'Cann wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/47810873

Yikes! What purple fringing!

A Kodak no raw mode and many bugs in the JPEG compression. In
the end they suggested that they were not going to fix the software
bugs until the next model they released and I would probably be
happier with another camera.

I am.

w..

Old January 19th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Kinon O'Cann

Kinon O'Cann wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/47810873

Yikes! What purple fringing!

A Kodak no raw mode and many bugs in the JPEG compression. In
the end they suggested that they were not going to fix the software
bugs until the next model they released and I would probably be
happier with another camera.

I am.

And they probably wonder why they're in trouble...

w..

Old January 19th 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Douglas

--

Australian Wedding Photography between Kempsy, NSW and Sunshine Coast.
http://www.photosbydouglas.com
Digital photos enlarged and printed on Canvas
http://canvas.photosbydouglas.com

"Kinon O'Cann" wrote in message
:

: ---------------------------
:
: The really difficult part about submitting an image to a (insert
: description) when the mandate is "Monochrome" without a description of
the
: mandate accompanying it until a day after you make your submission... Is
: (insert whatever comes to mind).
:
: Yeah, where was the "current challenge" link?
:
:You tell me.I'm not the only one who never saw it.

Old January 20th 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Michael Benveniste

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 00:36:19 GMT, "Kinon O'Cann" wrote:

Better turnout this time, and some good examples of the mandate. Here we go:

Thanks for your commentary, I for one really appreciate it and missed
it on the last couple of mandates. I was going to skip this one, but
here's my very late entry:

http://webwhat.home.comcast.net/monochrome.jpg

D200, 85mm f/1.8 + 5T, f/6.3 @ 1 second, lit by a handheld laser
pointer. Lasers are monochrome, right?

--
Michael Benveniste --

Old January 21st 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Michael Benveniste wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 00:36:19 GMT, "Kinon O'Cann" wrote:

Better turnout this time, and some good examples of the mandate. Here we go:

Thanks for your commentary, I for one really appreciate it and missed
it on the last couple of mandates. I was going to skip this one, but
here's my very late entry:

http://webwhat.home.comcast.net/monochrome.jpg

D200, 85mm f/1.8 + 5T, f/6.3 @ 1 second, lit by a handheld laser
pointer. Lasers are monochrome, right?

Red ia indeed a single color.
I might have subitted this one with a blue tinge:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php...14&PG=1&PIC=0?