? Green dot in middle of photo ?

Old January 1st 05, 08:17 PM
NadCixelsyd

Default ? Green dot in middle of photo ?

I have a two+ year old Nikon 995. For the last month, there has been a green
dot near the center of every photograph. It appears to be a single pixel and
always in the same location. The pixels immediately surrounding the green dot
are slightly off-color from the surrounding pixels.

Is this repairable or should I kiss it off and get a new camera? If I get a
new camera, where do I find comparisons of what's available in 2005?
Old January 1st 05, 08:37 PM
Michael Schnell

all sensors have dead or sticky pixels. The camera software has a list
of same and replaces them with a similar color as the surrounding
pixels. In the factory they can update this list.

-Michael

Old January 1st 05, 09:19 PM
David J Taylor

Michael Schnell wrote:
all sensors have dead or sticky pixels. The camera software has a list
of same and replaces them with a similar color as the surrounding
pixels. In the factory they can update this list.

Or you can do it yourself for the Nikon 995 with this softwa

http://e2500.narod.ru/ccd_defect_e.htm

and perhaps:

http://www.charliex.net/cpix/cpix.htm

(version V2.4 worked on my 990, USB connection)

Cheers,
David

Old January 1st 05, 11:53 PM
Michael Schnell

Or you can do it yourself for the Nikon 995 with this softwa

http://e2500.narod.ru/ccd_defect_e.htm

and perhaps:

http://www.charliex.net/cpix/cpix.htm

Great !

Is something like this available for other cameras, too ? (I could use
it for D70 and D100)

-Michael

Old January 2nd 05, 10:40 AM
David J Taylor

Michael Schnell wrote:
Or you can do it yourself for the Nikon 995 with this softwa

http://e2500.narod.ru/ccd_defect_e.htm

and perhaps:

http://www.charliex.net/cpix/cpix.htm

Great !

Is something like this available for other cameras, too ? (I could use
it for D70 and D100)

-Michael

Those programs work with a variety of cameras - check their Web pages. In
the case of the Nikon Coolpix range, the "determine bad pixels and remap
them" is a function built into the firmware but not made accessible to the
user menus. The programs simply call up this function. If the Nikon DSLR
designers have shared code with the Coolpix folk, perhaps the same is true
there? You could ask the program authors.

Cheers,
David