Machine Prints Versus Home Prints

Old February 9th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Machine Prints Versus Home Prints

Helle All,

I usually print my own digital pictures on my HP 7960, using HP ink
cartridges and HP Premium Plus paper, and the results are excellent.

I recently took some newsworthy pictures, and not being near my home,
went to a local shop to make quick 4x6" (10 x 15 cm.) color prints from
my SD card on a Sony machine.

Well, I could not believe how bad the prints were. Colors were
desaturated, details were soft , and a fine haze permeated all the
pictures.

Later the same day, when I arrived home, I printed the same images from
the same SD memory card, and the pictures were beautiful in every way.
When I compared the store prints with my home prints, it was akin to
comparing a disposable film camera with a Leica.

Yes, the store prints cost me 29¢ each, while the home prints cost me
about 40¢ each. So to me, the cheaper prints were no bargain.

I might add that some months ago, I tried a Kodak machine in another
shop, and those pictures were also very bad.

I am wondering if any on-line printing services are any better.

Morton Linder
Old February 9th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

I don't print too much at outside printers, but my experience is that
Kodak machines in stores are usually pretty good because they don't get
as much use as the "1 hour" machines, which around here are generally
Fuji. The only websites I've unloaded to are also Fuji. The one print
place I use for good stuff uses Kodak and the print quality is great --
but you pay for it.

All things being equal, I think Kodak has better skin tones and Fuji is
just as good for outside shots (greens). But the Fuji machines get
heavy use so all things aren't equal.

Old February 9th 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

I have had the same problem, however, your camera settings are probably not
set to the same settings as their printer. I had that same problem until I
asked the specs of the printing machine. With professional printers their
monitor and color settings may be different than your settings. Once your
settings are changed to match theirs the prints will be similar. Best not to
use those print machines as they are not individualised and mainly have one
setting and do not change.

oups.com...

Old February 9th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"newfysnapshot" wrote in message
I have had the same problem, however, your camera settings are probably

not
set to the same settings as their printer. I had that same problem until I
asked the specs of the printing machine. With professional printers their
monitor and color settings may be different than your settings. Once your
settings are changed to match theirs the prints will be similar. Best not

use those print machines as they are not individualised and mainly have

one
setting and do not change.

"Pat" wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't print too much at outside printers, but my experience is that
Kodak machines in stores are usually pretty good because they don't get
as much use as the "1 hour" machines, which around here are generally
Fuji. The only websites I've unloaded to are also Fuji. The one print
place I use for good stuff uses Kodak and the print quality is great --
but you pay for it.

All things being equal, I think Kodak has better skin tones and Fuji is
just as good for outside shots (greens). But the Fuji machines get
heavy use so all things aren't equal.

Try MPIX .com I have never been disappointed and there prices are great.

2-3 day turn around.

Old February 9th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Morton Linder wrote:

Yes, the store prints cost me 29¢ each, while the home prints cost me
about 40¢ each. So to me, the cheaper prints were no bargain.

You got taken! Exorbitant price and low quality (depleted chemicals?).
Longs Drugs charges 21 cents a print, Costco Mall-Wart 12 cents IIRC.
All use Fuji Frontiers that are virtually certain to do better.

Old February 9th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Old Salt card carrying Curmudgeon" wrote in
message ...
On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 21:02:35 -0500 the fame writer, Morton Linder
wrote not much to be useful on, "Machine Prints Versus Home Prints",

I am wondering if any on-line printing services are any better.

I like Shutterfly for anything over 8x11, or if I need more
then a few 4x8. http://www.shutterfly.com/
--
DISCLAIMER
If you find a posting or message from myself

I've used Shutterfly, WinkFlash, YorkPhoto, ClubPhoto, Walmart(on line) and
maybe others.
I can see very little difference between any of them, so use WinkFlash, good
pricing and they print file number on back.
Dave Cohen

Old February 9th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Morton Linder wrote:

Helle All,

I usually print my own digital pictures on my HP 7960, using HP ink
cartridges and HP Premium Plus paper, and the results are excellent.

I recently took some newsworthy pictures, and not being near my home,
went to a local shop to make quick 4x6" (10 x 15 cm.) color prints from
my SD card on a Sony machine.

Look out for a decent shop with a Fuji Frontier machine. My local one is
very good - but the kit is really only as good as the operator. I am
sure it is quite possible to mistreat truly excellent kit to give
appalling results if you try. It must be a really bad operation if they
can't print 6x4 or 5x7 to a decent standard.

Well, I could not believe how bad the prints were. Colors were
desaturated, details were soft , and a fine haze permeated all the
pictures.

No reason why this should be so. Operator error seems likely.

Later the same day, when I arrived home, I printed the same images from
the same SD memory card, and the pictures were beautiful in every way.
When I compared the store prints with my home prints, it was akin to
comparing a disposable film camera with a Leica.

Yes, the store prints cost me 29¢ each, while the home prints cost me
about 40¢ each. So to me, the cheaper prints were no bargain.

Store prints at a quality UK printers are around 17p each once you go
above 50 per batch. You can get much cheaper but lose quality. You seem
to have paid through the nose for poor quality.

I might add that some months ago, I tried a Kodak machine in another
shop, and those pictures were also very bad.

I am wondering if any on-line printing services are any better.

I suspect on-line printing services may be subject to filesize
restrictions that make high quality images harder to acheive.

I put all the smaller sizes through my local print shop in batches -
half the price of printing at home and the surface finish on their
glossy material is better than any inkjet media I have seen to date.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old February 10th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 16:39:37 GMT, "Dave Cohen" wrote:

I've used Shutterfly, WinkFlash, YorkPhoto, ClubPhoto, Walmart(on line) and
maybe others.
I can see very little difference between any of them, so use WinkFlash, good
pricing and they print file number on back.

That's good news, Dave, since I just submitted my first order to
Winkflash about an hour ago! I read about them, I think, in the
dpreview.com Panasonic forum a few weeks ago. Someone mentioned that
he'd had good results with a poster-sized print.

The price seems right. 11 5x7's for about four bucks, shipped.

I was noodling around the net, looking for a good source of cheap
picture frames. I stumbled across an interesting outfit that offers a
huge selection of either complete frames and framing kits, parts, or a
turnkey service where you upload your digital image and they'll print,
frame, and assemble it for you. I haven't done any comparison
shopping but, right off the top of my head their prices seemed
reasonable.

The really neat part is that you can upload your image, then try
out various frame and matting combinations. Your own image, framed
and matted, is displayed in a preview pane. I had lots of fun trying
to match frame styles and matting to the next large image that I'll be
having printed.

http://www.pictureframes.com

Tom

Old February 10th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 18:00:01 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

No reason why this should be so. Operator error seems likely.

No kidding! The operators often know very little about their
machines. Result? $60,000 printer gives crap.

I had one operator actually try to convince me that I was holding a
matt finish print, when it was quite obviously high gloss.

Old February 10th 06, 05:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Morton Linder wrote:

I am wondering if any on-line printing services are any better.

The only time I've see outside printing look better was with B&W images,
inkjets have a hard time doing them well. Otherwise, I print at home. My
inkjet prints a wider gamut than most "pro" labs printers can deal with and
the prints just look better.

--

Stacey