A question on deleting images from a compact card

Old October 27th 05, 11:00 AM
Brian

Default A question on deleting images from a compact card

I own a Canon 300D camera which uses a Compact Flash card.
When connecting the card to my computer to delete images that I have
copied to the hard drive to make more free space on the compact card,
do I also delete the folders on the Flash card that contain the
images?

I'd like to have a continuing numbering of photos (having the camera
automatically numbering (in the filename) the photos each time I take
a photo so I'm thinking that maybe I should leave the folders on the
compact flash card. I put all the photos in the same folder on the
hard drive so I want each photo to have a different filename.

I'd welcome any advice from other Digital camera owners that use a
Compact Flash card.

Regards Brian
Old October 27th 05, 11:07 AM
Charles

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 23:00:02 +1300, Brian wrote:

I own a Canon 300D camera which uses a Compact Flash card.
When connecting the card to my computer to delete images that I have
copied to the hard drive to make more free space on the compact card,
do I also delete the folders on the Flash card that contain the
images?

I'd like to have a continuing numbering of photos (having the camera
automatically numbering (in the filename) the photos each time I take
a photo so I'm thinking that maybe I should leave the folders on the
compact flash card. I put all the photos in the same folder on the
hard drive so I want each photo to have a different filename.

I'd welcome any advice from other Digital camera owners that use a
Compact Flash card.

Regards Brian

I delete the folders, and the camera keeps the numbering system
intact. Apparently the camera has another internal memory to keep
that stuff straight. Otherwise, changing cards would confuse it
totally.
Old October 27th 05, 01:06 PM
Patrick Cleburne

"Brian" wrote in message
I own a Canon 300D camera which uses a Compact Flash card.
When connecting the card to my computer to delete images that I have
copied to the hard drive to make more free space on the compact card,
do I also delete the folders on the Flash card that contain the
images?

I'd like to have a continuing numbering of photos (having the camera
automatically numbering (in the filename) the photos each time I take
a photo so I'm thinking that maybe I should leave the folders on the
compact flash card. I put all the photos in the same folder on the
hard drive so I want each photo to have a different filename.

I'd welcome any advice from other Digital camera owners that use a
Compact Flash card.

Regards Brian

Most cameras have a menu setting for keeping picture numbering consecutive
or starting it afresh each time. On my cameras, it doesn't matter if you
delete the folders or not- but to do that, you have to use Windows.

Some people recommend deleting pictures only using the camera menu/software
rather than doing it through Windows either with the camera attached to the
computer or having the card in a separate card reader-- feeling there is
less risk of damaging directory structure and reducing card capacity.

at

Old October 27th 05, 01:52 PM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , Brian
wrote:

I own a Canon 300D camera which uses a Compact Flash card.
When connecting the card to my computer to delete images that I have
copied to the hard drive to make more free space on the compact card,
do I also delete the folders on the Flash card that contain the
images?

Suck 'em out after each "session" using a card reader, then format the
card in the camera.
Old October 27th 05, 02:20 PM
Ron Hunter

Brian wrote:
I own a Canon 300D camera which uses a Compact Flash card.
When connecting the card to my computer to delete images that I have
copied to the hard drive to make more free space on the compact card,
do I also delete the folders on the Flash card that contain the
images?

I'd like to have a continuing numbering of photos (having the camera
automatically numbering (in the filename) the photos each time I take
a photo so I'm thinking that maybe I should leave the folders on the
compact flash card. I put all the photos in the same folder on the
hard drive so I want each photo to have a different filename.

I'd welcome any advice from other Digital camera owners that use a
Compact Flash card.

Regards Brian

Brian,
Some cameras seem to take the numbers from the card, others remember
them so that multiple cards can be used. It is NEVER a good idea to
disturb the directory structure that a camera writes to a card. If you
wish to delete the files, use the camera, preferably the format option
which will preserve the directory structure, and any picture number the
camera may write to the card.

--
Ron Hunter
Old October 27th 05, 03:00 PM
Roy

"Brian" wrote in message
I own a Canon 300D camera which uses a Compact Flash card.
When connecting the card to my computer to delete images that I have
copied to the hard drive to make more free space on the compact card,
do I also delete the folders on the Flash card that contain the
images?

I'd like to have a continuing numbering of photos (having the camera
automatically numbering (in the filename) the photos each time I take
a photo so I'm thinking that maybe I should leave the folders on the
compact flash card. I put all the photos in the same folder on the
hard drive so I want each photo to have a different filename.

I'd welcome any advice from other Digital camera owners that use a
Compact Flash card.

Regards Brian

Hi.

Use the Camera to delete data from the Card.

Just read the NGs to see the number of problems caused by doing it other
ways.

The Continuous or Non-Continuous numbering is a choice which is available to
you in the Camera Menu.

Roy G

Old October 27th 05, 03:17 PM
Judson McClendon

"Brian" wrote:

I'd like to have a continuing numbering of photos (having the camera
automatically numbering (in the filename) the photos each time I take
a photo so I'm thinking that maybe I should leave the folders on the
compact flash card. I put all the photos in the same folder on the
hard drive so I want each photo to have a different filename.

I'd welcome any advice from other Digital camera owners that use a
Compact Flash card.

My personal preference is to, immediately on copying new photos to my PC,
rename them with the date and time they were made, e.g.
"20051027-085300.JPG", where the last two digits are incremented for
multiple photos per minute. Then forever after, unless it is renamed, the
name shows when it was taken, even if cropped or adjusted. I find this far
more valuable than a simple sequence number, which carries zero information
value, of itself. If I want to differentiate sets of photos, say by camera
used, I append a prefix to the photo names like this: "Canon
20051027-085300.JPG" or "Nikon 20051027-085300.JPG".

It only takes a couple of seconds to do this (I wrote a small program to do
the renaming automatically): Copy the photos from the flash card to an empty
subdirectory, run the rename program, move the photos to their permanent
storage location.

One other thing; I have learned to *always* keep a copy of the original
(renamed) photo, and edit/view/print/use copies only.
--
Judson McClendon (remove zero)
Sun Valley Systems

Old October 27th 05, 04:36 PM
Dave Cohen

"Judson McClendon" wrote in message
.. .
"Brian" wrote:

[...]

I also keep a copy of original shot, even those I never print. Having done
that, the windows file date is good enough for me.
I get my prints made mainly on-line and like to have the file name printed
on the back. Just found and have used WinkFlash.com who do this (so do
others, but winkflash is real cheap and good quality).
Finally, back to the original post. I delete from the CF card in the camera
or card reader whichever is more convenient, never had a problem. I leave
the directories alone, the camera will take care of these. One exception
when I inadvertently reset file number to zero because I reset camera to
default settings and card was newly formatted. Took a shot then renamed
directory and image in card reader and camera picked up ok. I probably
didn't get the directory name correct but camera seems to be tolerant in
this regard.
Dave Cohen

Old October 27th 05, 05:06 PM
Bill Funk

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 23:00:02 +1300, Brian wrote:

I own a Canon 300D camera which uses a Compact Flash card.
When connecting the card to my computer to delete images that I have
copied to the hard drive to make more free space on the compact card,
do I also delete the folders on the Flash card that contain the
images?

I'd like to have a continuing numbering of photos (having the camera
automatically numbering (in the filename) the photos each time I take
a photo so I'm thinking that maybe I should leave the folders on the
compact flash card. I put all the photos in the same folder on the
hard drive so I want each photo to have a different filename.

I'd welcome any advice from other Digital camera owners that use a
Compact Flash card.

Regards Brian

I have a DRebel/300D.
The menu item to keep continuous numbering is in the third from the
left menu (press the Menu button, go to the third menu, and you'll see
the File Numbering choice). Default is Continuous.
The common wisdom is to never delete or format the card in a computer;
always do this in the camera. This common wisdom comes from experience
with problems with doing this in the computer.
When you either Format the card, or Delete All, the unneeded folders
are deleted. (I've been told the Drebel XT/350D and 20D changed this.
I have no idea why; with continuous numbering, the folders are
extraneaous, and the camera is obviously smart enough to figure this
out.)

Keeping continuous file numbering will always give you a unique
filename in the folder you put your image files into.
Hope this helps.

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"
Old October 27th 05, 06:04 PM
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
Brian wrote:

I own a Canon 300D camera which uses a Compact Flash card.
When connecting the card to my computer to delete images that I have
copied to the hard drive to make more free space on the compact card,
do I also delete the folders on the Flash card that contain the
images?

I'd like to have a continuing numbering of photos (having the camera
automatically numbering (in the filename) the photos each time I take
a photo so I'm thinking that maybe I should leave the folders on the
compact flash card. I put all the photos in the same folder on the
hard drive so I want each photo to have a different filename.

I'd welcome any advice from other Digital camera owners that use a
Compact Flash card.

Makes no difference. I find it easier to reformat my CF cards, but I
also make sure to back up the images I download from them before I erase
or reformat them.