processing a film on a canvas

Old May 3rd 04, 04:23 PM
YvanB

Default processing a film on a canvas

Would somebody know how to process a film on a canvas?
Is that possible?
Tkx

Old May 3rd 04, 04:50 PM
David Nebenzahl

On 5/3/2004 8:23 AM YvanB spake thus:

Would somebody know how to process a film on a canvas?
Is that possible?

I assume what you mean is make a *print* on canvas, right?

Su brush on liquid emulsion. Expose. Develop.

--
I was quickly apprised that an "RSS feed" was not, as I had naively
imagined, some new and unspeakable form of sexual debauchery practised

- Cynical shop talk from comp.publish.prepress

Old May 4th 04, 05:08 AM
Donald Qualls

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 5/3/2004 8:23 AM YvanB spake thus:

Would somebody know how to process a film on a canvas?
Is that possible?

I assume what you mean is make a *print* on canvas, right?

Su brush on liquid emulsion. Expose. Develop.

Or, alternately:

Optionally coat canvas with gelatin size, and then sensitize with van
Dyke, Kallitype, Platinum/palladium, cyanotype, salt print chemistry,
etc. and process accordingly.

Unfortunately, except for liquid emulsion these processes are all both
very slow and primarily UV sensitive, which pretty well eliminates them
for projection enlargement. If you want a BIG print on canvas using,
say, cyanotypy, you need to first make a BIG enlarged negative, which
usually means enlarging a positive on print film, then contact printing
that to make a negative in the final size, which is contact printed to
the alt process medium using sunlight, fluorescent or mercury vapor UV
sources.

--
I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
-- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm

and don't expect them to be perfect.

Old May 4th 04, 06:34 PM
Norman Worth

I think there are at least a couple of firms that make canvas based printing
materials. (Luminos, for sure, and I'm sure I've seen at least one other.)
They are expensive but pretty trouble free.

"Robert Feinman" wrote in message
says...
Would somebody know how to process a film on a canvas?
Is that possible?
Tkx

Many "canvas" prints are just printed on textured paper or have
a textured coating applied afterwards.

--
Robert D Feinman
http://robertdfeinman.com

Old May 4th 04, 06:40 PM
Mike King

Two possibilities

Luminos makes photo linen, "...Luminos Photo Linen is a real cloth coated
with a projection speed, black and white photographic emulsion that responds
to conventional B&W treatment. ..." I've played with this stuff in the past
and it has possibilities. Available in sheets and 50" rolls.

http://www.luminos.com/ttlinen.HTML

And a VC emulsion in a bottle from the same company:

http://www.luminos.com/flexicon.html

--
darkroommike

----------

Old May 8th 04, 04:38 AM
Jazztptman

Yvan asked - Would somebody know how to process a film on a canvas? Is that
possible?

Yvan, I'm not sure if you mean to mount a print to canvas. If so, many of the
replies gave more difficult and expensive ways to accomplish this.

Just make the print on RC paper, B&W or color, then strip off the back layer of
resin support and dry mount the print to canvas using a special liquid
adhesive. Color labs do this all the time. The pressure in the dry mount press
squeezes the print into the canvas so it takes on that texture, then it is
stretched over a wood frame and stapled.

Bernie
Old May 8th 04, 07:53 PM
David Nebenzahl

On 5/7/2004 8:38 PM Jazztptman spake thus:

Yvan asked - Would somebody know how to process a film on a canvas? Is that
possible?

Yvan, I'm not sure if you mean to mount a print to canvas. If so, many of the
replies gave more difficult and expensive ways to accomplish this.

Just make the print on RC paper, B&W or color, then strip off the back layer of
resin support and dry mount the print to canvas using a special liquid
adhesive.

Um, how do you "just strip off the back layer of resin support"? This sounds
like a non-trivial undertaking to me.

Old May 10th 04, 12:42 AM
Jazztptman

David asked: Um, how do you "just strip off the back layer of resin support"?
This sounds like a non-trivial undertaking to me.

No, it's not trivial and it does take a little practice (preferably on scrap
prints). Just use a sharp X-acto type knife blade to peel up a small corner of
the backing (plastic resin coating), then gently pull it away from the print.
What is left is the print with a thinner raw paper base, which can be mounted
onto canvas.

Some people like to roll the corner up on a dowel and roll across the print.
This method provides less chance of damaging the print and maintaining an even
peel.

Bernie
Old May 10th 04, 01:03 AM
Bob Salomon

In article ,
s (Jazztptman) wrote:

David asked: Um, how do you "just strip off the back layer of resin
support"?
This sounds like a non-trivial undertaking to me.

No, it's not trivial and it does take a little practice (preferably on scrap
prints). Just use a sharp X-acto type knife blade to peel up a small corner
of
the backing (plastic resin coating), then gently pull it away from the print.
What is left is the print with a thinner raw paper base, which can be mounted
onto canvas.

Some people like to roll the corner up on a dowel and roll across the print.
This method provides less chance of damaging the print and maintaining an
even
peel.

Bernie

There is a simpler way, and safer, if you have a hard bed dry mount
press rather then one with a foam bed. That is the Ademco process. You
simply apply a laminate to the top of the print, Put it in the hard bed
press for 2 minutes and remove it and peel. The RC surface adheres to
the laminate, the emulsion is much thinner then the above method. Then
just place the emulsion with the laminate on a piece of canvas, wood,
foam, metal, glass, etc. with a piece of double sided laminate and
place back in the press for 2 minutes.

--
HP Marketing Corp.
www.hpmarketingcorp.com Ansmann, Braun, Combina,