Diopter Lenses?

Old May 26th 05, 12:24 AM
Ben

Default Diopter Lenses?

Hello

I have a Canon 20D digital camera with the EF-S 18-55 lens and the Canon
75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM EF lens.
I have two questions.
1. Where can I buy diopter lenses. I've found them on the internet (B&H),
but nothing for this camera?
2. I would like to get a teleconverter. I'm especially interested in a Kenko
Teleplus Pro 300 3.0X lens.. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has
used this 3X Tele Extender with the 300mm zoom lens that I described above?
Thank you.

Old May 26th 05, 02:52 AM
BigEd

Ben wrote:
Hello

I have a Canon 20D digital camera with the EF-S 18-55 lens and the Canon
75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM EF lens.
I have two questions.
1. Where can I buy diopter lenses. I've found them on the internet (B&H),
but nothing for this camera?
2. I would like to get a teleconverter. I'm especially interested in a Kenko
Teleplus Pro 300 3.0X lens.. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has
used this 3X Tele Extender with the 300mm zoom lens that I described above?
Thank you.

IMHO I do not think that you will be happy with a 3X teleconverter on
such a slow lens. The chances of getting a sharp photograph hand held
are slim to none. You would be better served using the shoe leather
telephoto lens.

Ed
Old May 26th 05, 07:17 PM
Ben

"BigEd" wrote in message
Ben wrote:
[...]

Thank you for your reply. I've gotten other replies also agreeing with you.
However, I have not gotten replies from anyone who has tried it. Of course
if it's that far out, no one will. I'm very much a beginner with
photography, could you tell me what you mean when you said a "slow lens'.
Also, does "shoe leather telephoto lens" mean that I should walk more?
Thank you for any answer.
Ben

Old May 26th 05, 10:21 PM
Ina Bechhoefer

I just bought the Canon 500d and 250d 58mm close-up lenses and have tried
them on a Canon 50mm 1.4 and a Canon 75-300 f4.0-5.6 is usm ef lens. I have
not had an opportunity to take them out into the field yet.

However, I can see that both the 500d and 250d work well on the Canon 50mm
1.4, even stacked. Got some nice indoor plant macro shots as I was trying
out the lens. However, it appears that only the 500d might work
successfully on the 75-300 lens (at least indoors in average light). I
bought both at B&H.

Ina

Old May 27th 05, 02:58 AM
dj_nme

Ben wrote:
Hello

I have a Canon 20D digital camera with the EF-S 18-55 lens and the Canon
75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM EF lens.
I have two questions.
1. Where can I buy diopter lenses. I've found them on the internet (B&H),
but nothing for this camera?
2. I would like to get a teleconverter. I'm especially interested in a Kenko
Teleplus Pro 300 3.0X lens.. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has
used this 3X Tele Extender with the 300mm zoom lens that I described above?
Thank you.

I haven't used any Canon camera gear as yet, but a good rule of thumb in
reguards to tele adapters is: that for every multiplication of focal
length, take one stop of brightness off your lens.
In this case, your 3x converter would at f 4.0 act like it's at f 11, as
far as exposure goes (eg, in bright daylight on ISO 100 your settings
would be f4 at 1/125 sec) and act like it's set to f 4.0 as far as depth
of field goes.
So your 3x adapter takes three stops of brightness off your lens, makes
focusing more difficult and I suspect that it wouldn't AF at all (in
anything duller than full sunlight, if at all).
Old May 27th 05, 03:44 AM
BigEd

Ben wrote:
"BigEd" wrote in message

Ben wrote:

[...]

Ben,

I have over 50 years of experience with photography, and know enough not
to spend the money to try it. I gave advise to a college professor not
to purchase a Pentax point and shoot with a 200mm lens at the long end.
He did any how and brought back 47 rolls of film from his dream trip to
Africa. we again made a good bit of money from him and he ended up with
at best two rolls of somewhat decent photos.
And yes the shoe leather telephoto lens does in fact mean that you
should get closer to the subject.
In shooting tons of grin and grabs for the US Navy most photographers do
not get close enough. The trick there is to shower and use a good deodorant.
Just because someone makes it does not necessarily mean it will work
correctly in all instances.

Best wishes,
Ed