Anyone know how to stop Adobe Photoshop from...

Old January 23rd 05, 10:20 PM
Bob

Default Anyone know how to stop Adobe Photoshop from...

deleting the EXIF data from the jpeg version of the photograph and installing
it's useless crap instead?

Other programs, such as Micrografx, leave the data alone.

If I can't fix it, I will delete Photoshop. I don't need their useless ad in my
photos...

Old January 23rd 05, 10:39 PM
John McWilliams

Bob wrote:
deleting the EXIF data from the jpeg version of the photograph and installing
it's useless crap instead?

Other programs, such as Micrografx, leave the data alone.

If I can't fix it, I will delete Photoshop. I don't need their useless ad in my
photos...

Post your proof! or:

What steps, exactly, are you taking such that you are deleting EXIF info.

--
John McWilliam
Old January 24th 05, 05:08 AM
Stacey

John McWilliams wrote:

Bob wrote:
deleting the EXIF data from the jpeg version of the photograph and
installing it's useless crap instead?

Other programs, such as Micrografx, leave the data alone.

If I can't fix it, I will delete Photoshop. I don't need their useless ad
in my photos...

Post your proof! or:

Look at a PS saved image to see it. They erase much of the original info
saved from the camera.

--

Stacey
Old January 24th 05, 05:45 AM
Steve Wolfe

Look at a PS saved image to see it. They erase much of the original info
saved from the camera.

I took a photo straight from my DigiReb, a copy that was opened in PS 6
and saved, and one that was opened in PS, resized, and saved. I ran the
three of them through ExifTool, the original had 125 lines of information,
the other two had 129 lines. There were differences in FileSize, FileName,
ImageSize, ImageHeight, ImageWidth, where you would expext them to be.
PhotoShop added "PhotoshopFormat", "PhotoShopQuality", "PhotoShopThumbnail",
and "ProgressiveScans" - but *ALL* of the original Exif data was still
there.

Steve

Old January 24th 05, 10:27 AM
Robert Austin

deleting the EXIF data from the jpeg version of the photograph and
installing
it's useless crap instead?

Can't check at the moment, but I think it is the 'save for web' function
that strips this info. I guess to reduce the size as much as possible.

R.

Old January 24th 05, 04:08 PM
paul

Robert Austin wrote:

deleting the EXIF data from the jpeg version of the photograph and
installing
it's useless crap instead?

Can't check at the moment, but I think it is the 'save for web' function
that strips this info. I guess to reduce the size as much as possible.

The full exif data takes up something like 15K so is really not
appropriate for web use, definitely not in thumbnails. If you want to
keep it, use Save a Copy /Saveas instead.
Old January 24th 05, 09:09 PM
C J Campbell

"Bob" wrote in message

deleting the EXIF data from the jpeg version of the photograph and

installing
it's useless crap instead?

Photoshop CS does not appear to delete any EXIF data.

Old January 24th 05, 11:00 PM
John Francis

C J Campbell wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
.. .

deleting the EXIF data from the jpeg version of the photograph and

installing
it's useless crap instead?

Photoshop CS does not appear to delete any EXIF data.

I believe the current theory is that the original complainant
was using "Save for Web", which does trim EXIF content.

Old January 25th 05, 01:10 AM
Bob

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:20:14 -0500, Bob wrote:

OK I should have specified that if I load in a RAW format picture and save it
as a JPG (I haven't tried any other format) then the EXIF is gone, just a
version of Photoshop data is there. That means I have to convert to jpeg in
Nikon E. and then save and re-load into Photoshop to edit - trashing the quality
of the photo...

an example... using 'save as' of the RAW file as a jpg in Photoshop:

File: - I:\!_Nikon_D70\2004\05_(May)\09_(691-708)_RAW\DSC_0706.jpg

Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 300
YResolution - 300
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0
DateTime - 2005:01:24 19:57:09
ExifOffset - 164
ColorSpace - Uncalibrated
ExifImageWidth - 3008
ExifImageHeight - 2000

If I do the same thing in Nikon Edit - the original photo data EXIF remains
intact:

File: - I:\!_Nikon_D70\2004\05_(May)\09_(691-708)_RAW\Garden\DSC_0704.jpg

Make - NIKON CORPORATION
Model - NIKON D70
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 300
YResolution - 300
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - Nikon Browser 6.2.1 W
DateTime - 2004:05:09 22:28:59
YCbCrPositioning - Centered
ReferenceBlackWhite - 0
ExifOffset - 280
ExposureTime - 3125/1000000 seconds
FNumber - 9
ExposureProgram - Normal program
ExifVersion - 220
DateTimeOriginal - 2004:05:09 13:55:16
DateTimeDigitized - 2004:05:09 13:55:16
ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MaxApertureValue - F 4.76
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
LightSource - Auto
Flash - Not fired
FocalLength - 56 mm
UserComment -
SubsecTime - 12345
SubsecTimeOriginal - 12345
SubsecTimeDigitized - 12345
FlashPixVersion - 100
ColorSpace - Uncalibrated
ExifImageWidth - 3008
ExifImageHeight - 2000
InteroperabilityOffset - 882
SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor
FileSource - DSC - Digital still camera
SceneType - A directly photographed image
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Auto
WhiteBalance - Auto
DigitalZoomRatio - 1 x
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 84 mm
SceneCaptureType - Standard
GainControl - None
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal
SubjectDistanceRange - Unknown

Maker Note (Vendor): -
Data version - 808464944
ISO Setting - 0
Quality - RAW
White Balance - AUTO
Image Sharpening - AUTO
Focus Mode - AF-S
Unknown (11) - 8, 0
Unknown (12) - 5, 544
Unknown (13) - 7, 393472
Unknown (14) - 7, 786688
Unknown (17) - 4, 5527
Unknown (19) - 3, 26214400
Unknown (23) - 7, 393472
Unknown (24) - 7, 393472
Unknown (25) - 10, 576
Unknown (129) - 2, 584
Unknown (131) - 1, 2
Unknown (132) - 5, 594
Unknown (135) - 1, 0
AF Focus Position - 16777217
Unknown (137) - 3, 0
Unknown (139) - 7, 786752
Unknown (140) - 7, 626
Unknown (141) - 2, 4786
Unknown (144) - 2, 4796
Unknown (145) - 7, 4808
Unknown (146) - 8, 0
Noise Reduction - OFF
Unknown (151) - 7, 5279
Unknown (152) - 7, 5419
Unknown (153) - 3, 66061808
Unknown (154) - 5, 5451
Unknown (160) - 2, 5467
Unknown (162) - 4, 2637973
Unknown (164) - 7, 808464944
Unknown (167) - 4, 743
Unknown (169) - 2, 5489
Unknown (170) - 2, 5497
Unknown (171) - 2, 32
Unknown (3593) - 2, 5505
Unknown (3600) - 4, 5621

Old January 25th 05, 02:43 AM
Jeremy Nixon

Bob wrote:

OK I should have specified that if I load in a RAW format picture and save
it as a JPG (I haven't tried any other format) then the EXIF is gone, just a
version of Photoshop data is there.

The information is still there, it's just that Photoshop saves it in XMP
format, so whatever you're using to read the EXIF data needs to understand
that format.

--
Jeremy |