sorting images

Old October 11th 04, 04:17 AM
Tony Cooper

Default sorting images

I have a file that contains 100 images. The file is the result of
uploading the images from three different cameras into one file. All
of the images are of a particular day with many similar shots of the
same scene. They appear in the file as images pumpkin1 to pumpkin100.
The similar shots are not all together.

I'd like to arrange the images in a particular sequence that groups
the similar shots and puts the whole series in a particular order.
I've been doing this by renaming the files in such a way that they
fall in this order. That's rather time consuming.

(This is a project that I often do. When we have a family gathering
I'll upload my camera, my daughter's, and my son's into one file so we
can select the best shots of the group. What I'm writing here is just
an example of a frequently-done project.)

I'd like to be able to use a drag-and-drop system that allows me to
sequence the images, and then a re-numbering program that keeps them
in this order. I haven't figured out a way to do this yet.

I have Adobe Photoshop 7, Irfanview, Ulead Photo Explorer 7, and the
Canon bundled programs. I'd like to use one of these programs or
download a free or inexpensive image manipulation system. Free
because (a) I'm cheap, and (b) the programs I've listed do everything
else I want to do so I don't want to pay for just one time-saving
feature.

The reason, by the way, for all of this is that out of 100 images I'll
make a slide-show of the best 20 or so and print one or two 8 x10
single sheets of the best for an album. Out of 100 shots, there's
usually 9 or 18 that can best represent the day. The rest I'll keep
on a disk, but realistically you end up with 20% or less of the
digital shots that capture the memories.

Any suggestions?

Old October 11th 04, 05:02 AM
jjs

"Tony Cooper" wrote in message
[...]
I'd like to be able to use a drag-and-drop system that allows me to
sequence the images, and then a re-numbering program that keeps them
in this order. I haven't figured out a way to do this yet.

I have Adobe Photoshop 7[...]

Darn. CS has such a feature in its browser. However, IrfanView allows you to
select certain images, then do a batch-rename against the selected. Okay,
in IrfanView do the Thumbnails view. Then select the images to work on in
the order you want. (Windows, use Ctl-Click to select individual icons that
are not contiguous. Then right-click on the last selected image. There's a
"Batch Rename against selected images" option. Try it on a sample of a few.

Old October 11th 04, 09:51 AM
Arty

In Picasa you can:
1 - click and drag images into preferred order then

2 - start a slideshow

Very easy really

Arty