Panasonic DMC-FZ50 External Flash

Old November 12th 06, 05:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Howard Huntley

Default Panasonic DMC-FZ50 External Flash

Is any using the new Panasonic DMC-FZ50 ?? I got mine about a month
ago. I sold my DMC-FZ30 to get it. Well, the jury is still out on
which I like the best. The DMC-FZ50 is billed as being able to use
Roll film Camera's external TTL flash attachments. When I connect my
Metz using the minolta TTL adaptor the Flash fires about 2 seconds
before the Camera makes the exposure. Is any one else having such a
problem?? if so can you tell me how it can be fixed??
Old November 12th 06, 06:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 00:55:47 -0500, Howard Huntley wrote:

Is any using the new Panasonic DMC-FZ50 ?? I got mine about a month
ago. I sold my DMC-FZ30 to get it. Well, the jury is still out on
which I like the best. The DMC-FZ50 is billed as being able to use
Roll film Camera's external TTL flash attachments. When I connect my
Metz using the minolta TTL adaptor the Flash fires about 2 seconds
before the Camera makes the exposure. Is any one else having such a
problem?? if so can you tell me how it can be fixed??

In camera flashes can fire weakly one or more times before the
final flash that is used to actually take the picture. Some of
these are used to determine what is needed for a good exposure, and
these should occur very close to the main, final flash, probably
within a few tens of milliseconds. Pre-flashes that occur one or
two seconds before the final flash are probably due to the camera
being configured to reduce "red-eye". Make sure that any
anti-redeye settings are disabled. The FZ50 may still generate
exposure preflashes, and if you can't eliminate them, the Metz will
"seem" to fire at the right time, but it will actually fire
prematurely. To solve this you can buy a small "smart" module that
sits between the FZ50 and the Metz, which can be configured to
ignore preflashes, and will only trigger the Metz when the FZ50's
shutter opens. Metz and some other flash manufacturers also sell
flash units that don't need to be electrically connected to the
camera, but incorporates similar "smart" circuitry that detects and
also ignores preflashes. B&H sells several of these, including a
couple from Metz, one being a very small Mecablitz 28 CS-2 digital.

Old November 12th 06, 07:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cgiorgio

"Howard Huntley" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news
Is any using the new Panasonic DMC-FZ50 ?? I got mine about a month
ago. I sold my DMC-FZ30 to get it. Well, the jury is still out on
which I like the best. The DMC-FZ50 is billed as being able to use
Roll film Camera's external TTL flash attachments. When I connect my
Metz using the minolta TTL adaptor the Flash fires about 2 seconds
before the Camera makes the exposure. Is any one else having such a
problem?? if so can you tell me how it can be fixed??

The FZ-50 does have a TTL external flash function, but they do not claim it
to be compatible with any 35 mm film camera's system. The Minolta TTL
adaptor is definitely not compatible with the FZ-50. According to the Metz
website they are preparing an SCA adaptor for the FZ-50, type SCA 3202 M6
that will make some flash models compatible with the FZ-50. Meanwhile you
might be able to insulate the communication contacts in the hot shoe with
Scotch tape and use the centre contact only without TTL. I use their 36 C2
model without TTL, works just fine.

Old November 13th 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
JerryB

I recently purchased a Panasonic FZ 50 also. I have used 35mm and
medium format for years before going to partial digital a few years
ago. Still not sold on digital as the better format, although they are
much easier to use. Prior to making my purchase, I spent a lot of time
on the Panasonic forum below.

Regarding adding an external flash I discovered a couple of issues--
1- Many of the older 35mm camera flashes use a much higher voltage
that can damage most digital cameras.
2- Not all TTL flashes work well with the FZ50.

The concensus is the Panasonic dedicated flash and Olympus FL36 FL50
work well as well as the Sunpak 383 for non-TTL flash.

Suggest you visit this Panasonic forum and search FZ50 flash. One
posting lists a URL that lists all flashes and their voltage and labels
those safe for digitals. Carefull as many are listed as possibly!!
Which eliminated all my flashes, as most are more than 5 years old.
Also peruse through the forum for a plethora of information and
examples of how great the pontential of the FZ50.

I personally will probably go with the Sunpak even though it's not TTL.

Good luck in your search.

JerryB in Colorado

Old November 13th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
gr

Howard Huntley wrote:
Is any using the new Panasonic DMC-FZ50 ?? I got mine about a month
ago. I sold my DMC-FZ30 to get it. Well, the jury is still out on
which I like the best. The DMC-FZ50 is billed as being able to use
Roll film Camera's external TTL flash attachments. When I connect my
Metz using the minolta TTL adaptor the Flash fires about 2 seconds
before the Camera makes the exposure. Is any one else having such a
problem?? if so can you tell me how it can be fixed??

I am using some older non-ttl flashed with my fz-30 and found one
(Kalimar Dual head) was consistently underexposing by a stop. I got a
Sunpack with a dedicated Nikon mount (which has caused no trouble), and
this exposed as expected.
gr